“Is it shut?”
Review of The Gunnery Brasserie - CLOSED

The Gunnery Brasserie
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a warm, welcoming, inviting bar and restaurant located in the scenic village of Tarvin in the heart of Cheshire. Our charming premises date back to the early 19th century and many of the original features remain, culminating in a rustic and traditional dining setting. Coupled with our enthusiastic and motivated team we hope to provide an experience not to be forgotten.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Is it shut?”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I rang a few weeks ago to book a table for lunch and was told by the chap on the phone I wouldn't need to book for lunch as they always have tables free (not a promising start) I turned up today to find decorations for paddys day in the windows and a sign saying theyre closed for refurbishment (?) nobody seems to be answering the phone- very disappointing to drive all the way out from chester for nothing.

• Visited March 2013

Liverpool
“Food Disappointing”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Have eaten at The Gunnery twice. The service was very poor both times. On the first occasion I had a club sandwich with barely cooked bacon and only one side of the outside piece of bread toasted. On the second occasion I had a steak. It arrived looking very appetising. When I started eating it I realised that it had been butterflied, the inside cooked and then folded back together and served. It was dry, tough and very strange.

• Visited February 2013
North Wales
“Good locally sourced food”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited on a lunch time and the restaurant was not too busy. We were greeted and sat where we liked, chairs and tables are missmatched and a casual atmosphere. Bar looked well stocked and I noticed some bargain bin ends of wine at only £8 a bottle.

We had a travelzoo voucher and I think the girl serving was a little unattentive due to that fact, she should realize that the vouchers are an advertising springboard for the restaurant not just a cheapy deal for diners.

An excellent menu, we chose the sharing platter which sampled most of the starters available. I was most impressed with the flavours and presentation starters included black pudding fritters, smoked salmon, ham hock terrine and welsh rarebit fritters with local fresh bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I opted for the steak which was sourced from the local farm, I asked for medium to medium rare but unfortunately it came out too pink for my liking but the waiter quickly changed it for me. My daughter had the sea bass which was delicious but was rather bony, not the restaurants fault.

All in all I really enjoyed my meal, the outstanding starter was my win over, 12 out of 10, just the service from one member of staff let it down which is the reason it didnt get full marks but I will definately return.

• Visited February 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Wine ripoff!!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went to the restaurant Friday night. To be honest food fantastci service great. However the only let down was the wine. Looking at the wine list and huge choice of fine wines. rather than choosing just asked for house wine as normally that wine would be good quality. what arrived was a bottle of Isla Negra wine. this can be ought at Bargain Booze for £5 (not the wholesale price) and he gunnery charged £14. Hugely disappointing choice

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank PHILIP L
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Afternoon well spent.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We bought some vouchers from Travelzoo as we'd been wanting to try The Gunnery since it opened. It took us a while to use them and ended up taking an afternoon off work to use the vouchers before they expired. Very glad we did. I had the hake which was just lovely. Other half was a bit disappointed that they didn't have the Goat which was offered on the menu, but enjoyed his pigeon. Really extensive wine menu which presented each wine really well. Will definitely go back again.

1 Thank Carmel O