“Perfect for dog owners!”
Review of The Castle Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Lulworth
The Castle Inn
Ranked #10 of 13 West Lulworth B&B and Inns
Cowes, United Kingdom
“Perfect for dog owners!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The location of this place was perfect... It was very very dog friendly, with dog treats on the bar and sausage for them at breakfast .. But for us not so good. The room was v small, damp and not very clean. Breakfast was good and bar meals ok. Loved all the different ciders that you could taste. Staff friendly especially the cleaners!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

A great place to stay if you are a real doggie person A lovely location and a friendly hotel with great staff great food and a unique take on ciders we will be back A lovely place to stay in Deepest Darkest Dorset

Room Tip: Room 2 was good for us no stairs direct access to outside to walk our dog
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have never visited a hotel, B&B or guesthouse that is this bad.

I must also add that I have never been inclined to write a negative review of anywhere I have stayed before. The conditions at The Castle Inn were so diabolical I simply cannot let it slip and want to warn others.

The whole place reeks, the rooms, bar, breakfast room and corridors absolutely stink. It is a 'dog-friendly' hotel so one might expect a bit of a pong but this was years of dirt, grime and deep fat friers that seemed un-cleaned for decades. I have visited many dog-friendly pubs and hotels before and all of those were perfectly clean & presentable.

Our room was even worse. It was so cold, we could see our breath, the bed spread was filthy and stained, the carpet was sticky and dirty, the walls felt damp, the dated wallpaper was peeling away from the wall and the flush was hanging off the toilet.

The shower did not have a bracket so the user had to hold the shower above their head! The lock on the bathroom door was broken, the towels were damp and the walls were paper thin. You could hear everything from the surrounding rooms.

Worse of all the problems was the fleas, the place actually had fleas!! - My partner woke up after a freezing nights sleep covered in flea bites.

What baffles me the most here is that people have written positive reviews on this site. I work in hospitality and The Castle Inn falls down at every hurdle, the problems were not isolated to our room they are inherent throughout the whole building.

£95 per night for this place is an absolute JOKE. If we had paid 95 pence for the evening it would still have been more than it was worth.

A pitiful attempt at a guest house. Avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: Don't book one
11 Thank BluesHart

Travelers are raving about these West Lulworth hotels

London
Reviewed November 18, 2013

If you're looking for accommodation that has plenty of character and offers decent food and a great selection of beers and ciders, you should consider the Castle Inn. The room we were in certainly could have benefitted from some modernising, but the character of such an old building dictates the nature of the decor to a degree. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, without being in your face. Breakfast was the highlight of the food offered. The evening menu lacks finesse, and is a mixture of high-carb dishes. If you come here on a strict diet, you won't find a lot of options! I enjoyed my food however, and it didn't pretend to be anything fancy in the first place. The hotel talks a lot in the blurb about being dog friendly, and that's true. I'm not a huge fan of dogs and as the booking was made by my friend I was slightly concerned about the potential number of dogs in the building. In the end, there were a fair amount of them, but it wasn't a problem. I expect that if you really don't like dogs you wouldn't choose to stay here. Some people might object to dogs in the dining room, and I do feel that they should not be allowed in there personally. I didn't enjoy eating breakfast with a Collie sitting a few feet away for example.

The area is stunning, and as a result I'm sure that finding any space to park in peak season would be almost impossible. The hotel car park evidently charges non-residents £6 per hour to park which paints a picture of what the summer months must be like! That's worse than Kensington High Street in London! As a base to explore this part of Dorset it's fine. If you want a level of luxury and modern accommodation standards I'm sure you would have to pay royally for it in Dorset. I enjoyed my two nights at the Castle Inn. I would look at other options for a return to Dorset, if only to find somewhere with more modern bedroom / bathroom which is important to me. I'd certainly go back to visit the bar which has excellent ales and ciders on offer, and we really enjoyed the quiz night- emerging victorious on a fun night!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Iain S
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We should have taken note of the couple who very patiently explained that they had been waiting over 30 minutes for their food order, which had been lost. Our order could not have been simpler-2 steak and ale pies with chips and peas, one of which was to have a small portion of chips. What we got was one pie and chips,no peas and one with new potatoes and unseasoned veg mainly silverskin onions,and as an afterthought a bowl of chips! The pie crust was inedible the meat was dry and tasteless, and upon asking the waiter for a glass of water I was told to go to the bar as he doesnt-serve tables. The music was in line with the decor early sixties is that all? No one of the toilet seats in the ladies was broken and the next cubicle had no toilet paper. I did not think that pubs like this still existed-Avoid!

Room Tip: Look somewhere else!
1 Thank richsim-11
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Excellent good value would definatly visit again breakfast was lovely bertie our dog loved it well worth a visit . we stayed for 4 nights the staff were helpful and friendly and the place itself very relaxing

1 Thank Tracie M
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Firstly, the positives. The staff were helpful and welcoming. The Castle Inn is in a lovely location. The dogs loved it.
Now the negatives, unfortunately. The pub is cramped and uncomfortable. The food was dire (though the breakfast was good) but luckily we found a dog-friendly pub in East Lulworth with good food, and went there on the other days. The accommodation was so dated - woodchip wallpaper, rattling windows, candlewick bedspread. The ensuite was ok, but not exactly luxurious. It wasn't really 'dirty' - just shabby.
We were so disappointed. Just because dogs are allowed, doesn't mean a hotel owner’s shouldn’t care about comfort and décor. It just just old fashioned and shabby. We have been to several doggy-hotels which have been bright, clean and even luxurious. And this was more expensive than all of them.
We enjoyed our stay, because we loved the area, and we will probably return, but not to the Castle Inn I'm afraid.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Swanage
Riviera Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#20 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to The Castle Inn? Share your experiences!