“Best Dog Friendly Pub!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Castle Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Lulworth
The Castle Inn
Ranked #13 of 14 West Lulworth B&B and Inns
New Forest National Park Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Best Dog Friendly Pub!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

A real traditional thatched pub. A warm welcome from all the staff, for you, and your dog! Food was great and good portions. We stayed 1 night, but had been looking to book for a year, but each time we phoned they were booked up.
There is lots of parking, free WiFi through out the pub, and in the rooms. There was a big garden at the rear with view of the valley. A good range of beers and ciders. The customers in the pub appeared mainly visitors, and there was a lack of locals the night we were there. The rooms were a bit tired, and in need of a refit for the price being charged.
Dogs are the pubs big selling point. If you don't like dogs, this may not be for you. Our Lab was made up with her photo on the website, being Tweeted and the sausage for breakfast!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheTaylorBoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed 3 nights b&b. It was just perfect in every way. The complete opposite of those soulless 5* jobs. The Castle Inn has a great location, chocolate box good looks and bags of character. The room was lovely with its genuine beams and low ceiling. What with huge portions of good, honest pub grub, lots of well kept real ales served directly from the cask, and no fewer than 20 local ciders, what's not to like?
It was so nice to have people with their dogs in the bars enjoying convivial conversation, rather than having intrusive music and large parties with noisy kids running about all over the place.

All the staff were friendly, attentive and efficient with useful local knowledge.
Having been there once I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the Perbeck area.

1 Thank Ros339
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I know the Castle Inn well having had lunches there once or twice a year for the last 14 years or so. We decided to stay for a few days - and will certainly do so again. Remember this is not an umpteen star hotel - it's an ancient English Inn. We loved it - the food was great with very good helpings. The wine list seemed to cater for all tastes but the real treat was if you liked Real Ale or Cider. The beer straight from the cask - rather unusual these days!
Very friendly and helpful staff.
A warning - don't go there if you don't like dogs! Most people seemed to have a dog or two with them which, in our view, made for a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere.

2 Thank gradedgrain
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed 4 nights b&b, basic but good value.Its a well advertised dog pub so expect lots of dogs in the bars, they were less trouble than children and more friendly. Staff were attentive and efficient, meals were large and the beer well kept. Customers were also friendly probably because of the dogs,had a good laugh.

3 Thank neil b
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I bitterly regret not having done some research before booking the Castle Inn, only my partner had stayed before many times and very much enjoyed his previous stays. We stay at lots of Inns and B & B’s around the country around the £100 mark, and we’re used to a bit of variation in quality and I’m usually quite relaxed about it.
But for me, the Castle Inn was the worst B & B I have stayed in, in recent times, which is a shame as there are so few Inns that welcome dogs.
If you do want to stay here, my advice is to do the following:-
• If you are having an en-suite room, find out if it has a bath or shower before you go, if this is important to you.
• Get an itemised receipt for your food
Here are the problems:-
Arrived and checked in to Room 12, thought the room looked a little scruffy for £95 per night. My first mistake was not to check the bathroom, there was only a bath, no shower. Later on we were to discover that the room had no central heating and although there was a plug-in radiator which warmed the bedroom up nicely, it didn’t heat the bathroom which was some way away, so in the morning I had to have a bath in a freezing bathroom.
Because my partner had stayed before, we knew we had to grab a table as soon as the pub opened because the management won’t allow reservations. I was surprised to find there were no menus, you had to walk right through the pub to find a series of blackboards with the available meals on. I noted that the prices were much higher than I was used to for pub food, but thought perhaps it would be of Gastro-Pub quality.
I ordered at the bar and also asked for a bottle of wine from the fridge, that my partner had asked to be chilled ready for us, earlier in the day. On requesting this he had been clear that we would be paying for it with our meal. The bar staff write the food order on a carbonated pad, then add up the total on a calculator. There is no money total written down and because I paid cash, no receipt of any kind is given. You are then asked to sign at the bottom of the pad, but are not given a receipt and there is no monetary total recorded. The total for our bottle of wine, steak and ale pie and ham, egg & chips was round about £30 which I thought was about right. When the meal came it wasn’t anything special, just pub food.
The service was fine, except that a guest on the next table had her meals taken away when she and her daughter visited the loo, which seemed rather extreme, but the meals were replaced and she seemed content.
My partner and I then went up to bed, the bed was very hard and we could hear the slightest sound from the next door room, (I think we were next to their toilet!) Again I thought that £95 was poor value for money but supposed there was a premium for allowing dogs to stay and the great location.
Another odd thing was, that whilst we were at breakfast, staff had come into the room and already made up the bed with the same quilt cover, before 9:30 am. It made us wonder if it was to be let out to the next guests with the same quilt cover and no further cleaning!
Our real problems started the next morning when my partner was presented with a bill for a bottle of wine at £17.90 by Anthea who I presume is the manager. We were then accused of not having paid for it the following evening. As I hadn’t got any receipt at all, not even a till receipt for the cash I’d handed over, I could not prove what I had paid for, neither could they say what we had had.
It was left that they accepted that we had paid for everything and we returned home. Later I received a phone call at home and it was Anthea, her manner was abrupt and cold. There were no apologies for any misunderstanding on their part, for not being clear about their billing, just a demand for my bank card so they could debit the money for the bottle of wine.
Rather than argue, I gave her the details, but I did ask her to listen to my feedback on the poor service we had had, particularly that I now had no idea what I had paid for. Those two standard pub meals should not have exceeded £15 in the quite expensive area we live in. All she could tell me was that we had spent “twenty something pounds” which hadn’t included the wine She added that itemised bills were available, I should have asked.
On the positive side, the breakfast is great and dogs are made extremely welcome. Also it’s a fantastic location in Lulworth. From my experience and also now from having belatedly read the other reviews on Trip Advisor, we know to give the Castle Inn a wide berth!

Room Tip: Don't go there
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these West Lulworth hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked a four night stay over a long weekend, food was ok the first night, but no good the second night, the room and hallway didn't smell very nice when shown to room, but we had travelled a long way so looking forward to a good nights sleep... The bed had a bulge in the middle which kept my wife and I fighting to stay in it, The walls were so thin in the room we could here the guy in the next room snoring, and his dog. Our room was very small, dirty, damp, bathroom door wouldn't shut, the bed spread had big staines on it, the wall paper was coming off the walls, all in all very dated. Bathroom very damp and dated, and all this for 95 pounds a night...! We booked out after two days and no one asked why.... Says it all. Out of date, old pub, over priced crap food needs updating.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

During a few days off in the February half term my wife and I walked to the Castle Inn in West Lulworth for a 'pub lunch'. It is very oldy worldy and we were greeted by a New Zeland barman, who just couldn't have been more helpful (we had a good chat about Scotland!!). The Menu is written on the walls and although some of the dishes did seem expensive (£19.00 for steak and chips), my wife went for the baked potato with chile con carne and I decided on the chicken and ham pie.

Absolute wicked pie - enormous! huge chunks of beautiful ham and chicken in a lovely sauce with a massive pastry top - simply gorgeous. The chile con carne was lovely and not too hot. Washed down with a lovely bottle of house white we spent a little more time than we had planned in this very down to earth and warm pub!

Would definitely use again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 14 in West Lulworth
Lulworth Lodge
Lulworth Lodge
#7 of 14 in West Lulworth

Been to The Castle Inn? Share your experiences!