“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 14 West Lulworth B&B and Inns
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have just returned from an absolutely fabulous 3 night break at Beautiful Lulworth Cove, made even better by our stay at Bishops. The owner was away but we were left in the very capable hands of his lovely daughter Emily who was so very helpful and friendly without being intrusive, nothing was too much trouble for her, always had a smile and she never seemed to go home!!! She instantly made us relax and we enjoyed our chats in the bar with her, her sense of humour matched ours, and she definitely needed it to cope with some of the customers, hats off to her, a great girl!

We were in the Study Room, HUGE!!!! Actually a suite!! With the most amazing bed and fabulous pillows .... always a rarity when staying away from home!! Yes there could be a few additional touches here and there and it is starting to look a little tired but then it has been a very busy, fully booked season, they can be sorted once it has quietened down, it didn't take hinder our stay at all. (Also, toilet roll ran out luckily on last morning, the chambermaid only seemed to restock the coffee and milk and not touch anything else, but we had made ourselves at home and the room probably looked like a bomb had hit it so she probably didn't know where to start!! ).

Lovely fluffy gowns and new slippers provided, free wifi, lots of coffee and tea options and chocolates too!! Hotel is just metres from the cove, but never seemed noisy at night, we had our windows wide open and I am normally a light sleeper, but I slept so well (probably also helped from the exhaustion from all the fabulous walking!!), until the seagulls woke in the morning, the only drawback of being so close to the sea.

We only at in the restaurant for an evening meal one night, but it was outstanding. Not a huge choice but it was all fresh, cooked to order and true to the fresh local ingredients, fish, which it should be. Beautifully presented and wonderful flavours. The garlic prawns were out of this world, as was the seabass with the crayfish risotto. (The scallops my husband had would have been a little better if the pancetta wrapped around them was crispy, for a contrast in texture, but still delicious!). The other two nights we tried the café and pub close by, which were good but food not a patch on Bishops.

The breakfasts ..... OH MY GOD!!!!! Amazing!!!! Again, HUGE!!!! You sit down with a beautiful platter of wonderful fresh, sliced fruit already on your table, fresh yoghurts and croissants. You then have a great choice for cooked food. My husband chose the Full English on the first morning, I luckily only chose scrambled eggs on toast, His breakfast was a feast! Definitely very generous with the portions, but as a lot of walking was done it was very welcome. My scrambled eggs were delicious, very creamy and well seasoned. The next two mornings however we just had the cereal and croissants and didn't need anything else as otherwise we would not have eaten anything else the rest of the day!!

Also a good well stocked bar which included my favourite, Hendricks Gin, which I think I drank the bar dry of and cask ale which my husband helped demolish!! Beautiful wine with the evening meal too which wasn't over priced.

We used the pool on a couple of the days, fortunately weather has been cracking this week, although pool was still very cold, but I braved it none the less. Yes it is a little shabby around the pool, but I think it added to the charm, and the view over the Cove was just breathtaking. Pool is very private and for residents and owners use only, which made it even better as we practically had it to ourselves, heaven!

We loved this place, and we would totally recommend it to anybody, if you want somewhere that has class but isn't pretentious with it, instantly makes you feel relaxed and welcome and know all about good fresh local food, this is it.

Thank you for making our break exactly what we needed.

Room Tip: Try for the Study Room, (or suite) if you can. A huge lounge, a huge bedroom and a huge bathroom wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo B
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It has been a long season and we appreciate all the nice things you say. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Philip and Liesl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at Bishops in Lulworth Cove for two nights in July, and it didn't disappoint. Located above the quay side it has fabulous views over the bay. The suite was spacious and simply furnished with tasteful furnishings - no clutter or nik-naks. Phil the owner is friendly and runs a well-stocked bar and we had some good conversation over a complimentary beer.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, except for breakfast which was good.

It's a little scruffy in places with a few cracks around the heated pool, but I quite like this as Lulworth is becoming a little too corporate-polished for my liking.

Five stars all round. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had 2 nights at this hotel & we had high expectations at £150 per night. The room did not disappoint, clean white decor, giant bed, a couple of leather chairs & a great bathroom. Nice touches as well, the small bar of choc with the tea making stuff, the bottles of mineral water each side of the bed. Slight criticism, these weren't there for the 2nd night & the products in the bathroom were not replaced!
The restaurant element was really good, I like the fact it had a limited menu as it shows the food is fresh. A very reasonable wine list as well.
We would like to go back but the high price might be a deciding factor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and I will talk to the chambermaid.... We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Philip and Liesl
Northants,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at Bishops in the Bar room (more like a suite!) for two nights on my own as a means to recover from illness and the beauty of Lulworth cove combined with the luxury of this small boutique hotel was just what I needed! The room was gorgeous, huge heavenly bed and a living area with sofa and double windows over looking the hills. Amazing television that swung out from the wall with freeview channels, HD, wifi, bottled water, chocolates, fluffy dressing gowns, antique furniture. I could have lived there! The young lady in charge and behind the bar (she never seemed to go home!) looked after my every need and nothing was too much trouble, even the options of having breakfast in my room (I didn't take this up in the end because the restaurant was so lovely) although I did have a cheeseboard upstairs! Breakfast was a delight - great choice of hot food including eggs benedict and I loved the presentation of the fresh flowers on the table, Dorset cereals, bowls of fresh fruit including pineapple, strawberries and blueberries and miniature vintage milk bottles. It was worthy of a photo! The homemade croissants were divine. The girl serving breakfast was very friendly and the whole place had a really relaxed atmosphere, not pretentious at all. I was made to feel welcome as a solo guest. Wish I could go back tomorrow! Oh and the location is wonderful, just a few metres from the cove and the hotel provide you with a parking voucher to park for free in the main car park just a few minutes walk away. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
My daughter Emily was chuffed with your review. I tried to get her to respond but she has made me. I am very pleased that when we where away it all went well. I am very glad you had a great stay and we are very much looking forward to you coming back. Thanks again for writing such a wonderful and personal review.....We all wish you well and hope your recovery continues well. Thanks again. Philip, Liesl and Emily
Koh Samui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in The Study and it was a real shame only to be there for one night.

The room had a sofa and dining table in the lounge, a massive bedroom and a great bathroom.

All my reviews feature the bathroom and the one here didn't disappoint. The bath was pretty quick to fill (which was good because I didn't leave myself much time after a morning run before checkout), the shower came with two heads (from the ceiling and one which you can avoid getting your hair wet with) and a good amount of power. It also had two sinks :-) Te toiletries smelt lovely too.

We had dinner in the restaurant, which I wouldn't rate as highly as the hotel, but the staff were lovely (albeit service was quite slow and the menu was limited). The fact the hotel is a stones throw from the beach and the coastal path is also brilliant.

The one piece of advice I'd give to fellow city dwellers who have come by train... Don't leave ordering your taxi to the station to the last minute. The hotel staff were super helpful but this isn't a city and taxi's aren't always immediately available, and with one train an hour (from Worth - £12 in a cab)... it is worth the advanced planning to book a cab (although if you don't I found my lovely cab driver to be exceptionally keen to get me to my train - which involved a sprint across the bridge as my train pulled in to the station and willing to wait to see if I needed a lift to Wareham for another £12).

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
As a Londoner myself i understand that this is the country.....If you see a Taxi you take a picture of it !!!! We are glad you had a great stay and you where great fun. Its always great to get a review that is positive from a extensive traveler and reviewer. We hope to see you again very soon. This time in the winter with the log fires and storms on the cliffs.....very dramatic. Thank you once again... Philip and Liesl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed for our anniversary, beutiful room, clean, large, stylish!
Service was excellent as well as the food, has a lovely pool and views. Phil and Liesl were perfect hosts. We stayed in the study room which was like a suite, Will stay again soon jc& Rachel

• Stayed August 2013
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
J C you are too kind. Its alway a blast to have you guys down. Next time you come down in September I will have a little more time so I will take you up on the boat......However I will drive!!!! Thanks again and love to all. Philip and Liesl
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 3 nights; 2 nights in The Cove Room and the other in The Study Room. Both were lovely, large bedrooms, and the quality of the beds and bedding was very luxurious. The breakfast was plentiful and we ate here twice in the evening and the quality of the food and service was also very good. Lulworth Cove and the surrounding area is beautiful, and the walk to Durdle Door is a must. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you. when we did the refurbishment we concentrated on making the rooms and the bedding the best we can. We are also very proud of our breakfasts. So as we do Bed and Breakfast...we make sure we do that well. thanks once again. Philip and Liesl
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Lulworth
The Haven Hotel
#8 of 14 in Poole
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,352 reviews
Springfield Country Hotel

Been to Bishops? Share your experiences!