“I absolutely loved staying here!”
Review of Bishops

Bishops
Ranked #8 of 13 West Lulworth B&B and Inns
Northants,UK
“I absolutely loved staying here!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at Bishops in the Bar room (more like a suite!) for two nights on my own as a means to recover from illness and the beauty of Lulworth cove combined with the luxury of this small boutique hotel was just what I needed! The room was gorgeous, huge heavenly bed and a living area with sofa and double windows over looking the hills. Amazing television that swung out from the wall with freeview channels, HD, wifi, bottled water, chocolates, fluffy dressing gowns, antique furniture. I could have lived there! The young lady in charge and behind the bar (she never seemed to go home!) looked after my every need and nothing was too much trouble, even the options of having breakfast in my room (I didn't take this up in the end because the restaurant was so lovely) although I did have a cheeseboard upstairs! Breakfast was a delight - great choice of hot food including eggs benedict and I loved the presentation of the fresh flowers on the table, Dorset cereals, bowls of fresh fruit including pineapple, strawberries and blueberries and miniature vintage milk bottles. It was worthy of a photo! The homemade croissants were divine. The girl serving breakfast was very friendly and the whole place had a really relaxed atmosphere, not pretentious at all. I was made to feel welcome as a solo guest. Wish I could go back tomorrow! Oh and the location is wonderful, just a few metres from the cove and the hotel provide you with a parking voucher to park for free in the main car park just a few minutes walk away. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
My daughter Emily was chuffed with your review. I tried to get her to respond but she has made me. I am very pleased that when we where away it all went well. I am very glad you had a great stay and we are very much looking forward to you coming back. Thanks again for writing such a wonderful and personal review.....We all wish you well and hope your recovery continues well. Thanks again. Philip, Liesl and Emily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Koh Samui
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in The Study and it was a real shame only to be there for one night.

The room had a sofa and dining table in the lounge, a massive bedroom and a great bathroom.

All my reviews feature the bathroom and the one here didn't disappoint. The bath was pretty quick to fill (which was good because I didn't leave myself much time after a morning run before checkout), the shower came with two heads (from the ceiling and one which you can avoid getting your hair wet with) and a good amount of power. It also had two sinks :-) Te toiletries smelt lovely too.

We had dinner in the restaurant, which I wouldn't rate as highly as the hotel, but the staff were lovely (albeit service was quite slow and the menu was limited). The fact the hotel is a stones throw from the beach and the coastal path is also brilliant.

The one piece of advice I'd give to fellow city dwellers who have come by train... Don't leave ordering your taxi to the station to the last minute. The hotel staff were super helpful but this isn't a city and taxi's aren't always immediately available, and with one train an hour (from Worth - £12 in a cab)... it is worth the advanced planning to book a cab (although if you don't I found my lovely cab driver to be exceptionally keen to get me to my train - which involved a sprint across the bridge as my train pulled in to the station and willing to wait to see if I needed a lift to Wareham for another £12).

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
As a Londoner myself i understand that this is the country.....If you see a Taxi you take a picture of it !!!! We are glad you had a great stay and you where great fun. Its always great to get a review that is positive from a extensive traveler and reviewer. We hope to see you again very soon. This time in the winter with the log fires and storms on the cliffs.....very dramatic. Thank you once again... Philip and Liesl
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed for our anniversary, beutiful room, clean, large, stylish!
Service was excellent as well as the food, has a lovely pool and views. Phil and Liesl were perfect hosts. We stayed in the study room which was like a suite, Will stay again soon jc& Rachel

• Stayed August 2013
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
J C you are too kind. Its alway a blast to have you guys down. Next time you come down in September I will have a little more time so I will take you up on the boat......However I will drive!!!! Thanks again and love to all. Philip and Liesl
London
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 3 nights; 2 nights in The Cove Room and the other in The Study Room. Both were lovely, large bedrooms, and the quality of the beds and bedding was very luxurious. The breakfast was plentiful and we ate here twice in the evening and the quality of the food and service was also very good. Lulworth Cove and the surrounding area is beautiful, and the walk to Durdle Door is a must. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you. when we did the refurbishment we concentrated on making the rooms and the bedding the best we can. We are also very proud of our breakfasts. So as we do Bed and Breakfast...we make sure we do that well. thanks once again. Philip and Liesl
Broxbourne
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights our suite was very large and modern with a beautiful spacious bathrom. We found the food excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend Bishops to other visitors in this area.

Room Tip: Our room was front facing and really lovely.There is a good size swimming pool and nice exterior sea...
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Its great you enjoyed your stay and we will hope to see you again as soon as you can. Over the summer its a little heatic. HOWEVER the winter can be fantastic. Thanks for your kind words and I will pass them on to the boys and girls who do the hard work. Philip and Liesl
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We spent one night in Lulworth Cove at the Bishops Cottage Inn for my wife’s birthday on 12/07/13 and here are our thoughts on our stay.
Before we arrived we wanted to check that the parking voucher entitled us to use the public car park for free so we emailed ahead and kindly received a response a day after the night of our stay, so a little annoying but not the end of the world.

The Room
When we phoned to make our booking we were offered a smaller room with a sea view, we kindly accepted, however it was not a sea view, again not the end of the world as we were only staying the one night but a little disappointed as it was offered.
The cleanliness of the room was average, but for £150 a night I would expect blinds and door frames to be clean and dust free. The blinds on one window only covered three thirds of the windows. There were signs of general wear and tear (snags across the carpet, table top wood peeling) and at this premium price I was expecting a little more premium and a little less Premier Inn.
Please note although the rooms are advised with Wi-Fi availability, we could only use Wi-Fi in reception as the signal were too weak to reach the room (using an iPhone 5 / Nexus 4) and our room was nearest to the reception.

Dinner
Based on the review on Trip Advisor we also decided to eat our evening meal at the Inn. I opted for the Mackerel Linguine and the wife opted for the Crayfish Risotto which were both beautiful. For desert we decided our bellies were full but we could manage to share a Brownie with Ice-cream. When it arrived it was dry a bone, when I grabbed someone’s attention to let them know the response we received was “well there’s nothing I can do about it”, completely shocked we sent the desert back and concluded our meal – what poor attitude! Also the card machine was not functioning correctly and we were asked to pay cash, which was a problem as neither of us were carrying any, luckily as were staying the night we suggested adding it to our bill so settle in the morning.

Breakfast
The website states 10.30 AM for breakfast and the room brochure states 10AM. When we inquired we were told we could have breakfast at 10. Upon coming down for breakfast we waited for 5 minutes to be greeted, which did not happen so we sat down at a table, upon doing so someone came out of the kitchen and asked us to move tables as we were sat at the wrong table.
Breakfast was an excellent selection of cereals, fruits, traditional English foods, I opted for Eggs Benedict and the wife; salmon and scrambled egg which were both excellent. Although the yogurts were out of date.

To summarise – we has a very comfortable night’s sleep (the bed was large and very comfortable) and the food was excellent! The Bishops Inn is rough around the edges and could do with a little polish around their customer service. At £150 for two sharing one night I felt a little over charged for what we received. 3/5

1 Thank mikeparkie
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed review. Let me say sorry for not being here this weekend. I was at The Stones Concert in Hyde Park. However It seems we have put too much faith in our staff to handle two days without us. Therefore we have made some changes. I have printed off your review and have addressed each point myself. Thank you once again for taking the time to write. Philip and Liesl
Reviewed July 14, 2013

There's not much to Lulworth Cove except relaxation! We stayed there for a wedding in Lulworth Castle in July. We were blessed with great weather which made this little hideaway very busy over the weekend.

The B&B was excellently presented. We felt they could of made more rooms out of the space available ... but were glad they didn't! Our room was a suite and was decorated incredibly. The bathroom being immaculate.

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The breakfast was a lovely full English which makes me very happy!

I don't know Dorset well but when I come back to explore more, we'd spend more time here.

Room Tip: From what we saw, all rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for a great review from a seasoned traveler. Going to a wedding means you dont sample the menu in the evening. However next time you come you will be able to. Thank you for your kind word. Philip and Liesl
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Lulworth
The Haven Hotel
The Haven Hotel
#8 of 13 in Poole
Best Western Weymouth Hotel Rembrandt

Been to Bishops? Share your experiences!