“Nice food but difficult to get”

The Castle Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Connecticut
“Nice food but difficult to get”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We ate at Castle Inn Restaurant in West Lulworth in September 2012. Firstly you must know that it is a dog friendly restaurant and Inn. I have never seen so many dogs in a restaurant before, must have been at least a dozen during our meal. I am not a dog lover but my husband is allergic to dogs and cats. We don't have a problem with them but prefer not to eat with them. We certainly could not stay at the Inn because of his allergies.
We arrived at the Inn early, 6pm and it was heaving with guests and waiting lists. The food is ordered at the bar then brought to your table. We found several of the items on the menu were not available as they had run out. It seems you have to be quick with your order so you can have the meal of your choice. The food was very tasty but also very rich with heavy sauces, caused a bit of problem with indigestion later. The pub is a lovely old one with low beams and a super atmosphere of old English pubs. I would recommend you eat there but be prepared for the odd arrangements with ordering your food and sharing with the dogs.

• Visited September 2012

Dorset
“Nice pub if you're visiting the area.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

To be fair I am from Dorset and visit this pub from time to time. This is my first re-visit for some two or three years. I had visitors from London staying who wanted to visit the coast and have a Sunday lunch out in a 'Olde' pub and this fitted the description. The staff were many and welcoming and the Pub fairly full but we managed to find a table. The menu was quite extensive and we gazed around the room at everyones plates - the food looked good. The choice of beer at the bar was good too. Nice atmosphere which I remember from old, nothing has change much. Because it was Sunday it was a busy and this was reflected in the time we had to wait for 4 meals - 40 minutes. I did have to ask for them and in fairness they came very soon after. Between us we had sausages and mash, steak and kidney pie and a pasta dish - all of them were fine but nothing exceptional. I would describe the food as 'hearty' for a winters day or after a good walk. I would probably go elsewhere for a evening meal and as a local probably take guests somewhere else next time. For the occasional "I'm hungry, we're here, why don't we pop in for something to eat" it is ideal.

• Visited October 2012
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had a lovely evening here. The menu is very extensive for a local pub with an appealing choice. Be warned though, the portions are very large and the chili con carne was uber hot. Dogs are welcome and there was a charming atmosphere, and we finished off a relaxing evening with a game of chess in front of the fire. Simples!

Visited October 2012
Sedlescombe, United Kingdom
“what a nice pub”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

we eat in the castle the 2 nights we were staying in Lulworth bar staff really friendly and my other half liked the real ales. the beef and ale pie he had 2 nights running and said best pie in a long time!.my food good as well. yes dogs are allowed in but when we were in there they were fine.if you like pub grub and real ales(quite a choice) go to the castle.

• Visited August 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Proper English pub”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a proper quirky English pub, with a thatched roof and surrounded by cottages in the gorgeous Dorset village of West Lulworth, although having said that, it seems to be mostly run by Antipodeans! You can't book a table so go early. The food is very good, with a great choice. And it's dog-friendly, so it's terrific to dog-watch while you eat and drink! There are games dotted about the place, chess etc, so you can sit and play these instead of dog-watching while you have a drink or wait for your food (or both!). We loved the atmosphere - slightly bohemian, but that might have been because of the guests the evenings we visited! We loved it.

Visited October 2012