“A Rip Off”

Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“A Rip Off”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We went to have a cream tea, there were two families, spent £40.00 and we received a very sorry excuse for a cream tea (£4.50 each). There was only one scone each, and my son had one that was like a hard baked buscuit. When we questioned the waitress on only having one scone, we where told 'it is nothing to do with me, I do not make up the rules'. I have attached a picture which advertises two scones on the board - enjoy your exclusive garden and pool! PS This is the first time I have ever rated a restaurant as I feel we were ripped off.

• Visited August 2011

Redhill, United Kingdom
“Needs change of management…..”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My girlfriend and I arrived in West Lulworth early evening on Friday 3rd July and decided to have a drink and something to eat. We first went to Bishops (see separate review), the bar at Bishops Cottage who recommended their sister restaurant “Pebbles” at The (Lulworth) Beach Hotel next door. We were shown to a table by the window by a charmless guy who we later discovered was the manager. We ordered a bottle of wine which he surprisingly brought to the table already opened and just left it to us to pour.
Our starters were Devils on Horseback (scallops wrapped in bacon) which were delicious. My girlfriend then had the lamb cutlets and I, the wild boar sausage and mash, which after the starter were a little disappointing considering their prices. We then had a chocolate brownie and a coffee between us and this is when the manager’s character shone through. In both our opinions, the brownie tasted burnt and so we did not finish it, asking for it to be taken off the bill. The manager came over and said that he had tasted it and it was ‘fine and not overdone’. When I pointed out that to us it seemed more than overdone, i.e. burnt, his reply was ‘well, that’s the way it comes’!
We paid the bill in full (~£74) and left. As someone who has worked both in restaurants and corporate Customer Service environments over the years, I feel justified in saying that I suspect this establishment only keeps going by relying on the hapless tourists who stubble upon them for the first time!
Shame that we had not previously read the reviews or been to our BB before eating, as both would have warned us of what to expect…….

1 Thank Joe90_11
West Sussex
“Lucky or Unlucky ?”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We recently stayed at Lulworth Cove and ate at Pebbles 3 times.

The first two visits were before we looked at these reviews and have to say all five of us had great meals. Three of us chose the catch of the day which was Sea Bream one time and Sea Bass the other, and each were superb. (before any cynics comment we three are fequent fish eaters and would be quick to make critism if food was poor).

It is true to say that the manager comes over as being curt and abrupt (he certainly has no sense of humour anywhere in his body). But to be fair we all enjoyed our meals on both visits.

Our last night at Lulworth we decided to go there again, and my daughter stumbled across these reviews. We were amazed as all of them were in stark contrast to what we had experienced. Jokingly we said oh well lets hope we don't tempt fate and decided that having had 2 good experiences we go again. OH DEAR ......

Boldly written on the blackboard outside was 'Catch of the Day, Sea Bream' So in we went.

On ordering we were told that there was no Sea Bream but there was Bass. Given that we were the first evening diners in that evening I would have thought it would be a simple task to change the blackboard. Anyhow I chose the Bass. Daughter and Son in Law ordered lamb with potato. We also ordered a bottle of Sancere.

Half way through our starters the waitress said that there was no chilled sancere, would I like to wait 15 minutes for some or choose another wine. Given that its not possible to get a decent bottle of wine chilled properly in that amount of time I went with the next on offer. 2 minutes before main course was served she appeared again to say that she was sorry they had sold out of that one !.

Third choice was made although there was little that i would normally have chosen, but we were there and about to eat so there was little option.

Once again the fish was good. However the lamb and potatos were another matter. Both meals were served with crispy topped potatoes but that were stone cold in the middle. The waitress was summoned and the meals taken back to the kitchen.

By the time they came back the other three diners had all but finished our meals.

At last back they came, this time though the potatoes were not even slightly warm anywhere. In fact they were so cold that they could have been used to chill the warm sancere!.

The lamb was fatty and way below a standard that was acceptable. To their defence they did apologise and took the lamb meals off of the bill, but the evening was decidely spoiled.

Whilst all this was going on another ferore was going on at a table where two couples had booked on the strength of the outside menu, only to be told that several of the items were no longer provided ! ie you could have scallops wrapped in bacon as a starter but not without the bacon as a main meal! - so if you don't cook in a certain style - don't advertise that you do !!! Then there were other issues with what they wanted to order and were told that they could not have.

Out of a choice of five mains three had run out. How can any restaurant do that on a Friday evening opening time ????

So were we lucky twice, or unlucky once? My feeling is that the staff/manager are just not up the the job of ensuring a smooth running restaurant. Shame really we should have quit while we were ahead.

Manchester
“Good food let down by poor service”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My girlfriend had popped in the day before to enquire about whether the restaurant allowed dogs inside. They don't, but they are allowed outside but the manager brusquely told my girlfriend that he wasn't serving outside that evening. Perhaps that should have been a warning.

The next evening, tempted by the chalk board outside that advertised sea breem and mackeral (locally caught) we persevered, wanting to try somewhere different to eat.

Unfortunately, neither of the advertised items were available, just sea bass. I appreciate that when the restaurant obtains locally caught fish, they can't guarantee supply, but its simple enough to change a chalk board or bring it inside altogether if what they are advertising is not available. When that was suggested, it was just shrugged off.

The comments by other reviewers about the rude management rang true, but that said, the scallops wrapped in bacon were excellent, as was the seafood pie. My girlfriend's sea bass was lovely too, but the boiled new potatoes were too hard (not something that's difficult to get wrong) and the salad was clearly from one of those pre-prepared, washed supermarket salad bags you can buy - it was exactly the same as the one we'd brought down from Sainsburys!

The setting inside is lovely and the setting outside is gorgeous, but like lots of restaurants in beauty spots, they can become complacent about good service when no doubt they get people through the door, although it was relatively quiet inside.

Given the wealth of local produce and local beers, it would be good for a place like this to offer local Dorset bottled beers, rather than the standard Budweiser, Magners stuff.

In summary, lots of potential, let down by complacency and rudeness.

Oxford
“Rude, expensive garbage”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I'm not going to waste my breath it was that bad. After waiting an eon for a table we were pointed to 2 tables and told take your pick when the waitress walked away. We were told there was no seafood on the menu (seafood is one of there main attractions). We ordered a grand reserve 10 year old bottle of wine, we wern't shown the bottle prior to opening, the wine was cold, it's a red and should be served at room temprature, it was just a really bad experience. I can't be bothered to waste any more time on this place.

2 Thank Scarletwoman