“Lovely old fashioned b and b”
Review of The Old Barn

Ranked #4 of 13 West Lulworth B&B and Inns
Cambridge, UK
“Lovely old fashioned b and b”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable couple of nights at the old barn. We arrived earlier than planned, but the room was available straight away. A very good size room and comfy bed. Breakfasts were tasty and lots of options. Would make a good base for the surrounding area. Many thanks for the lift back up to wool too!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank andymagoo81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I usually stay in hotels but found all the hotels shut when we went to Lulworth Cove last weekend. Then we stumbled on this place and have been really impressed by the quality and service of this B&B. We were given a huge room (room 4) and really feel we got value for money. The room was warm, comfortable and really clean. The room had all the usual stuff but the owners have put fridges in the rooms which was great because we could have our drinks chilled. The breakfast was really good. I had salmon and scrambled egg which was perfect and better than I've had in any hotel, and my wife had the full breakfast which she said was superb.

This family have worked really hard to make the best of this place and are really nice people and we will certainly give the hotels a miss and go back there when we return to Lulworth.

Room Tip: Room 4 really good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank James B
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and that you would consider us again. It is very helpful to get your feedback to ensure that we continue to offer a good service.

Regards

Sarah Jackson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've visited The Old Barn twice. It's quite simply my favourite place to stay, anywhere. The Old Barn is located in the heart of the charming village of West Lulworth, close to the village church and just around the corner the wonderful village shop. There's a gentle walk down to the Cove which takes you through some lovely Dorset countryside and once you get to the Coastal Path, you will be surrounded by the most breathtaking scenery in all of Britain. The hosts of The Old Barn are warm and very friendly (the previous review seems totally out of character with both my experience and the tone of reviews on this site - a wrong telephone number perhaps?). Pick any topic to discuss with the hosts, from the weather to the meaning of life and you will soon find yourself absorbed into the most engaging conversations. The breakfast is exceptional - both in its generosity and in it's quality and the rooms are of a very high quality with plush, comfy beds. The added bonus of the guest kitchen is a nice touch which means you can make up a late snack or a picnic at a time that suits you. You won't find a finer place to stay in the whole of Blighty.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank GotaGreatCat
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your excellent review. It is heartening to know that we provided good service and comfort during your stay and that you would consider staying with us again.

Best wishes

Sarah Jackson
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

After reading the wonderful reviews on this site we were very excited by the prospect of a few nights at this bed and breakfast. When I phoned up to enquire about dates I was stunned by the rude unfriendly response from the owner. She showed no interest whatsoever, I was told that they were not open and then she hung up without another word. What a shame, we certainly won't be staying there in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Megan20138
Sarahjay1, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
It's taken me some time to respond to this spurious review because I've been trying to prove to Tripadvisor that I wasn't here when this call was allegedly made. Unfortunately, this reviewer doesn't have to prove that they did indeed ring here and therefore the review stands!

In response I can only suggest that this reviewer contacts me on 01929 400305 to discuss what 'Megan20138' wrote and try to ascertain whether she did in deed ring here and got the answer phone, whether her phone dropped ;the call? or whether she rang a completely different 'The Old Barn' somewhere else and her review has landed on my site.

I have taken dozens of calls over the winter and this reporter claims to have called during the time when I was away! I don't employ any staff as this is a small business and am struggling to determine how she could have spoke to me in my absence.
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was our first visit to The Old Barn with Charlie our dog and all we can say is how wonderful the whole experience was .Our room was comfortable light and airy, very clean and with a fridge in the room which was very useful. With the use of the kitchenette on the landing this is a B&B with a difference.The breakfast was top notch -possibly the best cooked breakfast we have had. The food on offer was brilliant!.Our hosts were so welcoming and so accomodating they couldnt do enough for us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank neil t
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am a regular visitor to The Old Barn and this summer had my usual restful and enjoyable stay.Its situation in the village,only a short walk from the Cove, is ideal, and the rooms are very clean and fresh.The bed was extremely comfortable,there were plenty of towels,books to borrow and use of a fully-equipped kitchenette. Breakfasts are definitely something to look forward to and the atmosphere at breakfast is friendly with everyone feeling included and welcome. The owners are always very kind and helpful in every way and can give advice on local places of interest, transport etc. I have no hesitation in recommending The Old Barn and am looking forward to my future visits.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jane M
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The only negative about our stay at the The Old Barn is that it was too short! Excellent hosts, accommodation and breakfast. The "family suite" was perfect for our needs and my daughter fell in love with her pretty country style bedroom and wants to replicate this at home. The hosts were very welcoming and eager to impart knowledge of the area if required. Would not hesitate to recommend a stay at The Old Barn to anyone. Thank you

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
The Smuggler's Inn
#1 of 1 in Osmington Mills
Best Western Weymouth Hotel Rembrandt
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge

Been to The Old Barn? Share your experiences!