“Short Break at Heron House”
Review of Heron House B&B

Heron House B&B
Ranked #2 of 10 Bampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We spent two nights at Heron House and had a lovely time. We booked supper and this was a very wise move, very tasty food. Heron House is an historic building and was clean and welcoming with some modern features. Check the painting of the man in the lounge and 3 guesses who he is? See Fiona if your are too young to know.

Also while in the very vibrant little village, shopped at the butchers, bakers and 2 small supermarkets all great and would recommend the Swan Pub, with friendly bar staff and locals. Felt rested, relaxed and well fed!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Carole M

Thank you very much indeed for leaving such a nice review of your stay at Heron House, I am so pleased that your stay at Heron House ticked all the boxes, rested, relaxed and well fed. We aim to please! I look forward to welcoming you again to Bampton when next you feel the need to recharge your batteries.

Best wishes

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We have just returned from a very relaxing short stay at Heron House in the charming town/village of Bampton.

We booked the room (overlooking the garden at the back) with a separate bathroom - Fiona (the owner) saying this was the best room to have if bringing a dog. Although we were a bit concerned about the separate bathroom before going - most rooms have en-suite these days - there was no cause for concern. The bathroom was completely private and right opposite our room. Just needed to make sure no-one was around before crossing the landing with a towel wrapped round :-). The bathroom was far larger than you would expect from an en-suite.

Our room was supplied with tea and ground coffee with a cafetiere as well as a full tin of biscuits. Fiona made us very comfortable during our short stay, always ensuring that we had fresh milk in our room, and happy to allow us to use her fridge to store our pre-prepared dog meals.

The breakfast was as good as any B&B we have experienced, including home made compote and jams and bread made at the local bakery.

Just to allay any concerns that reviewers might have from one of the one-star reviews on this site, our rooms were immaculately clean.

We should add that Bampton was for us a great place to stay. It has two excellent pubs (with friendly staff and clientele), both serving good food and ale, a local bakery and a restaurant - not bad for town with a population of only 1600. It is a great base for visiting Exmoor and Devon's many other attractions. The only negative perhaps was that dog walking from the door appeared to be a bit limited - but some of the nicest walks in the country only 5 minutes drive away provided adequate compensation for this slight inconvenience.

From our experience, we would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Glenn and Rachel
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a marvelous review. Your kind comments were very flattering. Thank you for highlighting Bampton, we are very proud of this lovely little town. To have 2 excellent pubs with restaurants, a Bistro a proper bakery, family butcher, fruit and veg shop as well as 2 very good convenience stores all within walking distance, is such a blessing in this day and age. There is as you say miles of stunningly beautiful walking on Exmoor surrounding Bampton, but we don't have a village green for dogs late night/early morning widdle, but a couple of hundred yards up the road, the world is their oyster!
I loved having you all to stay as my guests, and I hope that you will return to Bampton and Heron House very soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Heron House is a nice place to stop while exploring the Exmoor area. Initially I thought the B&B was in a more rural area, but it's actually in the middle of town - very convenient if you want to stop a local restaurant or pub. The owner can be somewhat abrupt when you first meet, but she does open up during the visit. The food at the B&B is amazing, if you get the chance to eat dinner at the B&B you won't be disappointed - the lamb is amazing. The owner takes great care of the B&B - the rooms are spotless!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoTraveler28
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Colorado Traveler 28

I am glad you thought I 'warmed up' during your stay! Thank you very much indeed for your review on your dinner here at Heron House. All the lamb I have been supplied with this year has been of a consistently high quality and locally supplied, so I am really very lucky. I don't think many guests leave Heron House having lost weight!! Hopefully my website tells guests that Heron House is in the centre of this ancient village which dates back I believe to 700 and that Heron House is a Town House, very handy as you say for strolling up to one of our excellent local pubs for a beverage or two and perhaps lunch of dinner, then strolling back down to Heron House to snooze.
It would be very nice to welcome you back to Heron House if you are passing this way again.
Best wishes

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We spent a 2 night Easter break at the Heron House and really enjoyed our stay. Everything about this place is really nice. I would strongly recommend the Heron House to anyone looking for a comfortable B&B in Devon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time and trouble to write such a lovely review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Easter break here in Bampton at Heron House. On the whole, I think we were very lucky with the weather over the Bank Holiday, just a pity that it tipped down with rain on Easter Day itself. Hopefully the English weather will not put you off coming to stay with us again very soon.
Best wishes.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

On our arrival we were given a warm welcome by Fiona, our room overlooking the blossom trees in the garden was spotlessly clean and to a very high standard. On our first night we stopped in for one of Fiona's dinners and it was delicious , very good. The bonus was being able to provide your own drinks!! At breakfast there was a .very good choice of cereals, bread from the bakers three doors away and also a very good full English. All in all a good welcoming stay.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear Graham S

Thank you very much for your really kind review of your stay at Heron House, I am so pleased you found everything to your liking, including dinner with BYOB! The rain this week has nearly done for the blossom on the Crab Apple, but the Magnolia is still going strong. Next week I think the two Viburnum Plicatum should burst forth with their stunning display. Tomorrow we have my youngest Grandson's Christening, so busy preparing salads for the lunch and my daughter is making the Christening cake. Should be quite a feast. I look forward to welcoming you to Heron House and Bampton again very soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Enjoyed our two night stay with our dog. Lovely double room overlooking back garden, no road noise at all and full (private) bathroom just two steps across the landing. Extremely comfortable bed and good Wifi reception. Enjoyed our meal at Heron House on our first evening which was fabulous value for money - Pan fried guinea fowl on a teriyaki mushroom risotto which was extremely rich and flavoursome. This was followed by a lemon posset with creme fraiche and tea or coffee which was taken in the lounge by a roaring fire.
Could not fault the accommodation - very "Home & Country" style - or our hostess. Breakfast was a choice of cereals, warmed compote, greek honey & yoghurt and a fried breakfast, toast and tea or coffee. Great value for money.
Only down side for us was quite where to "service" the dog as the garden was out of bounds and we struggled to find a green area in the near vicinity for her ......

Room Tip: Don't be put off this room because it doesn't have an ensuite - the bathroom is literally st...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Sonleschi C

What a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to write. I was thrilled you enjoyed your supper at Heron House and thank you for the compliments about breakfast. The Wifi reception can be a bit hit and miss here due to the stone construction of the old building, but I am delighted that all was working to order for your stay!
I look forward to welcoming you to Heron House again when next you are visiting Exmoor.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My friend and I had a midweek two night stay in March, we were greeted by Fiona and shown to the twin room at the rear, we arrived at 5pm and we found the room to be very cold, but had a heater on to boost the heat. We weren't told where or when breakfast was, and I had to try and find Fiona to find out about the Wifi, which was very poor if in the twin room. We were also a bit put off by the fact that there wasn't a room key to lock the door, wasn't happy about leaving handbags, iPads and expensive cameras in an unlocked room and felt I had to take iPad out with me and keep locked in boot of car. The breakfast was filling, nothing special, but hot and good quality. Nicely presented b&b and good spot for exploring Exmoor and the coast.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

I am so pleased you found Heron House a nicely presented B & B and as you say, Bampton is the perfect spot for exploring beautiful Exmoor and the coast and is only 40 minutes from Exeter which is a wonderful city with ravishing Cathedral and Cathedral Close for those guests who prefer a little retail therapy with their site seeing. I am sorry you felt your room was not warm enough, I do put additional heaters in the guest bedrooms just in case. So often we find that a guest loathes heating in their bedroom and turns the radiator off and I forget to check and turn it back on. We no longer have keys to the bedrooms for two reasons. If a guest goes out for the day having locked the door, we cannot get in to refresh the tea tray and clean. Also all too often guests inadvertently take the bedroom key home and forget to post it back. Hence no keys!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bampton
Ginger Peanut
#3 of 4 in Witheridge
Weston House
Weston House
#5 of 10 in Bampton

Been to Heron House B&B? Share your experiences!