Heron House B&B
Waterloo Cross(Uffculme)
Park 'n' Lodge(Westcott)
New Inn(Taunton)
View Hotel
All reviewsfruit compotebiscuitsthe ownerfour poster bedlocal bakerybreadhuge bathroomshort breakantique furniturehome madefull englishtea and coffeemakes you feelbed and breakfastlovely villagebreakfast was deliciousa great place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were very lucky to spend a couple of nights here recently. Our room was spacious and the bed very comfortable, breakfast was particularly delicious as good as I have had anywhere.
The owner made us very welcome and I would recommend to anyone looking for a quality, homely place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Wow! Thank you so much, I am trilled that you found Heron House "top notch" my little team and I try so hard to make a good impression and we really appreciate all my reviews and the kindness of my guests in sharing their experiences for the benefit of other visitors. I hope I shall be welcoming you back to Heron House in the not too distant future.

Best wishes
Fiona

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Beautiful house, maintained meticulously by owner Fiona who provides fine home cooked food for both dinner and breakfast. We used her local maps for lovely walk at nearby Dulverton. We plan on returning and have recommended already to family.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the four poster room with huge en suite
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you so much, I am delighted you felt so at ease at Heron House. Hopefully next time you come and visit us the weather will be rather better behaved. I think we have all had enough of this winter, roll on summer or even spring!

Fiona

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Heron House is a very clean and charming looking B and B.
We didn't have any major issues with our stay but also said it didn't make the time away special.
Rooms were nice, house was very clean, breakfast was nice and area of Bampton is lovely.
Only slight issues were the bathroom was across the hall which meant the possibility of bumping into another guest in your towel, we paid for dinner at the house on Monday night which was £20 a head and bring your own drink, which we felt was a little overpriced for what we received and you had no choice in the food nor were you told what you would be eating beforehand, dining was communal meaning you ate around a table with the other guests both at breakfast and dinner, which was fine for us as a couple as we are quite social but could understand how this might put some people off and might not quite be the romantic break you are wishing for and finally you have to be out of the house between the hours of 10.30am and 5pm which shocked us a little as we wanted a bit of a chilled morning at the B and B and then to go walking in the afternoon; so this upset our plans a little and it meant you had to find something to do which lasted the whole day, which when you've paid to stay somewhere, you expect to be able to go in and out at your own will.
Other than that, we had a pleasant stay, the owner provided maps of walks in the local area which was brilliant for us and the food was nice and our room very cosy.
Just if you wish to go away for a romantic break, where you can chill in your room and dine alone together then this might not be for you.
However, if you do choose to stay here then definitely visit The Quarrymen's Rest which is only a 2 minute walk away, the food is lovely and extremely well priced (and unlike the other pub and fish and chip shop IS open on a Monday - so you don't have to eat at the B and B for £20 a head if you don't want to) and the atmosphere of the pub is fantastic and the owner is extremely friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a review, you comments have been noted.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Heron House is a superb example of how to run a B&B. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in February and could not fault it. Interior designer Fiona Clifford has equipped the house to very high standards, combining the very best of modern comforts with a wonderful background of beautiful antiques. She attends to every detail, not least in her delicious breakfasts, using local suppliers such as the butcher and baker. Although the house does not have its own parking there is usually plenty of space in the street or the town car park opposite. The house is well situated too, being within a very short walk of several pubs and restaurants and a good base for the excellent walking and shooting in the region. I thoroughly recommend this Devon delight.

Dear Brian M
I was so pleased to have made such a good impression, and you obviously wasted no time in posting the review of your short break in lovely Devon and sharing your experiences for the benefit of other visitors. I was thrilled with your "delicious breakfasts .............. local suppliers" comments. I try hard to make every guest feel welcomed and special and I love feedback like yours because it reassures me that my little team and I are doing the right thing. I hope I shall be welcoming you back to Heron House in the not too distant future.

Best wishes

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Heron House is ideally located in the village of Bampton. You can be assured of a warm welcome and very comfortable accommodation in this home of character. Breakfasts are exceptional and every effort is made to satisfy the guests' needs.

The location in North Devon is ideally situated for touring the surrounding countryside and is convenient for Exmoor. The host, Mrs.Fiona Clifford, is extremely helpful and leaves nothing to chance when it comes to the comfort of her guests. It is also dog friendly for those who wish to explore the surrounding countryside with their pets.

It is difficult not to feel at home in Heron House and I would recommend it strongly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Fiona C, Owner at Heron House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thanks so much Matt, I am so glad that your search for a new home for you, your dogs and your Aga were not in vain! Hopefully next time you are down it won't be pouring with rain.
Best wishes, Fiona