“Very homely and very welcoming”
Review of The Bark House

The Bark House
Ranked #1 of 10 Bampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband and I were treated by our son for these 2 nights at the Bark House and it was made even more special by the outstanding welcome we received from Martin & Melanie. On our arrival we were treated to Tea & very tasty home made cake in front of the open log fire and to top that we had a delicious meal cooked by Martin and a top class dessert made by Melanie. The room was massive and the bed was very comfortable (I even sneaked a look at the make of pillow, came home & ordered one online)! I would certainly stay again!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here a few weeks ago for 2 nights, and it was the best B&B experience we've had.
We stayed here using the buy a gift voucher, one of the reasons being it's dog friendly. Our rather lively Siberian Husky was welcomed, and our stay was made so much easier by having the room with a back door to the garden, great for early morning/late evening trips in & out with mucky shoes.
We had booked for an evening meal on the first night's stay, and being Vegan I'm always a little skeptical of what I will end up with. I can honestly say it was the best meal I've had, it was fantastic. Martin & Mel had gone out of their way, at their expense to cater for me, and couldn't have done a better job - even specially made desserts were made. We decided to book dinner there for the 2nd night, and good job we did as we got the last table - no wonder it's so popular with quality food like that!
The room was perfect, a nice simple modern design with a spacious bedroom, lounge & mini kitchen, everything we needed.
Overall I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough, and quite honestly it was the hosts that made it. My only complaint was that I didn't get to leave with the recipe!

1  Thank Kate J
Reviewed April 5, 2012

What a lovely place to stay truley home from home . Martin and Melanie were the perfect hosts . On arrival we we shown to our room and then offered coffee and homemade cake in the lounge which had a roaring log fire. We booked an evening meal and i can not praise the food enough , it was beautiful . The bed was very comfy and the room was clean . Breakfast was very tasty with homemade bread and preserve . Nothing was to much trouble . We will return and next time bring our dog Marley as The Bark House is dog friendly ( you would not guess this as there is no doggy smell ) and most of the surrounding shops and tea rooms are also .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scatterbox
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed on the 29th - 31st of March 2012 and had a great time.

The hotel was lovely, Mel and Martin were very friendly and helpful and cannot recommend this place highly enough.

We'll definitely be staying here again on our next visit to Exmoor.

1  Thank Pat M
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed on Friday 30th and Saturday 31st of March 2012.
Martin and Mel were very welcoming and the room was outstanding. We were allowed to bring our dog and on entering the hotel and indeed the room you would never know that dogs are permitted as there isn't a trace of pet hair or any type of smell. The room itself was far superior to what we were expecting, exceptionally clean, spacious and self contained.
The breakfast was delicious and previous reviews and recommendations regarding the evening meal were spot on, exceptional and very much worth the visit in itself.
We found the cost of the meal and the evening bar to be very reasonable and we spent it in the presence of good company.

During our visit we walked the Wimbleball Lake and paid a visit to Minehead and Dulverton which were all just a short drive away.

Overall we were made to feel very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Apart from the bed, far too comfortable. :o)

1  Thank Stamford69
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I rang up regarding a booking, and was told there was a room available. When I mentioned we were staying as my husband was a triathlete and was in the ironman close by the next day, we were told the room 'wasn't available for that' and they put the phone down. If this is how they treat prospective clients I would not stay here.

5  Thank hell081
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Like many people we were given gift vouchers to use at accommodation of our choice. As we live the West Country we found the Bark House well located to tour around. What can I say, it was a nice place and a comfortable room, but it's clear feature are the owners. Such nice genuine people who go out of their way to make you feel at home. The food, not just the breakfast and especially at dinner was excellent. With so many restaurants serving bland food, often veg out of a microwave, Martin knows how to season and cook food to a high standard. My only suggestion to the owners would be to add wifi. It would cost very little, but with communications in the West Country very poor, it would certainly add bonus to the stay.

Room Tip: Room six a great choice