“The highlight of highlights”
Review of Baoxiang Temple

Baoxiang Temple
Reviewed September 22, 2014

Absolute worth visiting and climbing all those steps! Just gorgeous. I was the only white person that day and the "caretaker of the temple" made sure I did see everything. He was my guide, showed me all the sights, made me ring the bell and...invited me for lunch. My Chinese friends and I enjoyed a tasty vegetarian lunch prepared in the big primitive monastery kitchen. An honor and special treat. The monkeys are no threat if you don't provoke them. I can recommend this attraction highly.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Shibaoshan Singing Festival starts on July 27 ( according to the Lunar Calendar).Thousands of local people and more and visitors are coming to Shibaoshan,they will play a dragon dance, make a camp fire, through a bamboo dragon into the fire, then dance and sing folk songs for three days as a celebration for a special event.
You can learn the legend of Singing Festival in Baoxiangsi Temple in Shibaoshan Mt. There is a hall for the statues of Ten Boys and Ten Girls who fought with the dragon. If you want to feel the atmosphere of the singing festival, please come to visit us in Shibaoshan on Sep 2nd this year, because it is July 27 in the Lunar Calendar again!
Check the legend of Shibaoshan Singing Festival on my next review.

2  Thank jianchuan
Reviewed February 2, 2013

One of the nicest temples I've seen in China .
We had to climb a fair amount of steps to get there , but it was worth every effot !!!
Not to be missed ...

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went here during the off peak season and were the only tourists on the morning we visited. The temple is a rather long uphill walk from the road but once there it is worth it.
The views are spectacular and the temple(s) cut into the hillside truly beautiful.
We were initially a bit cautious around the monkeys but after getting used to them found them to be quite photogenic and not in the least aggressive.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 29, 2012

While at first I have to admit I was slightly intimidated by the hundreds of stone steps and gangs of monkeys, the trip up was worth every effort. The lack of tourists, clear blue November sky, spotty clouds, bright sunlight and slight breeze infused with the scent of pine needles and temple incense all made for a truly ethereal experience.

Take your time up the steps as the steep altitude is enough to exhaust anyone. Regarding the monkeys, simply keep your valuables tucked away safely and ignore them. I did just that during the entire visit and was fine. If you're really worried, bring a slingshot and take aim as I observed an elderly caretaker of the temple do during her morning chores.

Once you arrive at the temple, I would recommend meandering all through the grounds heading up to the cliff-side level on which you will find a giant size golden Buddha smiling over the temple complex. If you have time, I would also suggest meandering among the many trails found on the mountain above the golden Buddha. The ends of these trails offer some spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and forests.

Allot about 2-3 hours of visiting time. The resident monks are friendly and if you can understand their thickly Naxi/Bai minority-based Mandarin, they can be delightful conversationalists. I would not recommend this for the elderly, children or those with health problems as it is quite strenuous. After your visit, have a vegetarian lunch at the small restaurant opposite the ground-level parking lot. They make some fantastic dishes from local ingredients.

1  Thank Michael G