Bellapais Monastery Village
Bella View Art Boutique Hotel(Bellapais)(Great Value!)
$67
Go North Cyprus
Avenue Hotel(Kyrenia)
$78
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmini villanorthern cyprussauna and steam roomchaise longuepool areavilla roomsleeping areabellapais monasterymezzanine floormobility problemsbathroom downstairswalking difficultiessun terracehalf boardcourtesy busoverlooking kyreniaa la carte menu
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We return to BMV at end of the month. I decided to have a look at recent reports and I wonder if some of these people actually stay at the same hotel as they're reporting on! For instance reviewer travelingalotlately 23/01/13.

"old indian waiter who only will deal with you if you tip well".

Muhammed must be at least 10 years my junior and I, at 55 years of age, do not class myself as old. Also, no cash exchanges hands. All drinks, meals etc are charged to your room and settled at the end of your stay. There are however boxes in reception, the bar and the restaurant for anyone wishing to leave a tip on departure.

Reviewer DivineDarling 23/01/13.

"I didn't even have breakfast, there was no fresh fruit or decent cereals"

We stay at BMV twice a year, Mch and Oct. Every morning we have cornflakes and fresh fruit along with eggs or a cooked breakfast, juice and coffee. You can choose anything you want from the breakfast menu and this includes fresh fruit!

Various other reviewers are complaining about the number of steps. They must have read reviews prior to going, as they are obviously familiar with Tripadvisor, otherwise they wouldn't be posting a review. All my previous reports mention this fact as do those from many others.

As I stated at the beginning of this report, we return at the end of the month for another 3 weeks. It will be interesting to see if anything has changed, SO DRAMATICALLY, since we left at the end of Oct and I will do another report on my return home. Usually at this time of the year, they are re-decorating rooms (they do them a block at a time so there is minimal disruption for guests), painting the outside of the villas, the walls, public areas and generally getting things ready whilst the hotel is quieter in preparation for the busy season.

Lee and Carol

Room Tip: If you have mobility difficulies ask for a hotel room or a villa on the bottom level, though there are still steps down to the restaurant and pool areas. I have rheumatoid arthritis but I manage ok.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Again_and_again_10
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went there in Mar 2012, found it very cold dingy and unappealing Not suitable for the elderly or if you have had a hip replacement forget it. Although it is a nice colonial building it is a far cry from being comfortable and elegant in the least. Breakfast is great however and dinner is not bad.
This place needs a makeover along with the old Indian waiter who only will deal with you if you tip well. This is out of the way and hard to get to. Although they do offer a shuttle service, if you miss it then your stuck!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelingalotlately
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I moved to this hotel from the lovely Bella View next door purely for the 3 shuttles on offer each day. The hotel itself leaves a lot to be desired but most of the staff are simply the best. First night I decided to try its 'fantastic chef's' offerings and found the restaurant down 2 very steep flights of stone steps, not to be attempted if you have any joint problems. The pool is also at the bottom of these steps but I did find a 'long' short cut to avoid any danger. I tried the restaurant 4 times in all (couldn't believe how bad it was the first time) and only discovered the chef was in Germany on holiday during my entire stay. I made friends with a couple of single women who were staying on half board and wanted me to eat with them. The head waiter actually fought with me over the quality of his food and only backed down when I told him I had a 5* restaurant in Bodrum and had often been chef. If anyone in my place had served up such appalling food they would have been fired instantly. I didn't even have breakfast, there was no fresh fruit or decent cereals.

Room Tip: If you can handle having the bathroom on ground level and bedroom upstairs then choose one of the chalets at the back. This entire site was the University until taken over by the Oscar Group of hotels and still has the feel of Uni dwellings.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DivineDarling
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend visiting friends in the Cyprus North. Wonderful room with lovely views across to the sea. Nice and quiet. All staff were wonderful especially the staff for breakfast. The food was well cooked and very appetising. Will certainly return, hopefully when the weather is warmer so that we can anjoy all of the hotels facilities. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lewigi
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a new year holiday with large group of friends who had there own villas but as they had no space we stayed in the Ballapias Monastery Village - firstly it does not look as clean an immaculate as the brochures shows - requested a room with minimal need of stairs and a double bed - when we arrived the room 2002, had no double bed, room was awful tacky and dim but as i had gone to the toilet reception said they would not offer me a new room because i used the loo - how strange is that ! - could not get a decent wash as the pressure from the shower was non existent had trouble washing properly - not to mention that the pipe-work was loose, complained to reception, following day they moved the 2 single beds together and ignored the pluming issue.. just could net get comfortable in this hotel - food just had breakfast and it was bland nothing special + rude waiters who surround you asking what you would like without giving you a minute to make a decision then rudely walking away making a tatting noise as if they were having a sulk....

My Negatives

Poor Quality Room
Poor Shower Pressure
Poor A/C very noisy + grills dirty needs servicing / clean out + complicated to use
No Double bed (requested days before we arrived)
Bed not very comfortable kept having to move about to get comfortable - bedding torn in places
Too far from Kyrenia Town Centre
Steam room not working - indoor pool small did not look very appetizing
Small Lounge / Bar area
Poor sterling FX rate 2.50L hotel // in town got 2.89L

My Positives

Nice Views
We ate at there sister hotel in town "Oscars" - dinner was very good buffet with loads of choice - great salads....

Tips

Try George's Cafe in Town Centre nearby the main car park (lovely breakfasts + sometimes get live music, last day we had Indian Soul)
"Dark and Blue" car hire near the hotel were very reasonable, 96 pounds for a fiesta for the week + good service
The "Tree of Idleness" restaurant in ballapias was very good (opposite the abbey)
Cratos Hotel Casino amazing place

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs you can still go for a villa as some are on same level as our room - but lots of steps to the restaurant - to be honest this hotel not suitable if you have any walking disability
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends