“Amazing cuisine, Ambiance so-so”

Hostellerie Clau del Loup
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Clau del Loup is located among the rolling green landscapes of the beautiful Lot region, and its stone facade and peaceful shady gardens make for a stunning setting.

The restaurant is decorated in an elegant fashion, the style quite Italian, with a display of antique perfume bottles and modern art, crisp white tablecloths and minimal table decor, prizing the food as the main attraction.

I chose a typical aperitif of the Lot region, a 'Fénelon', which is a mixture of the dark Cahors wine, a creme de cassis and liqueur de noisette. I would highly recommend it as it was a surprisingly delicious melange and not too sweet, which is what I was slightly apprehensive about.

The waiter was very attentive and willing to explain the menu, however we felt he was overly stiff and uptight which made the ambiance a little uncomfortable seeing as we were the only ones in the restaurant. Later on 3 more tables were filled, but we found the atmosphere unfortunately quite pretentious. Another critique would be the music, which was a mixture of classical and opera- we heard the same few songs over and over- a suggestion would be to have a few more CD's to play!

However, the main attraction of a restaurant is its food, and on this I cannot fault the Clau del Loup. I particularly appreciated the small touches such as the delicious olives and bread, as well as the refreshing carrot puree which was bought before and between courses which was very attentive.

Do leave some room for a dessert, as these are particularly delicious (and I am not usually a dessert person). The Charoltte au fraises was my choice. Bon appetit!

5  Thank sunbear16

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Superb setting. Restaurant very good value at lunchtime during the week. I would not hesitate to eat there again but, as I have a limited budget, I would avoid going in the evening.

5  Thank AtelierdeLaRose
Reviewed January 23, 2012

A very nice restaurant on the south side of the River Lot close to Prayssac. 4 course lunch with wine is 18€. The gardens are well tended.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for several days and were made comfortable and welcome. The shady gardens and swimming pool were most welcome, as the weather was very hot. The staff were helpful and friendly, although the maitre d'hotel does have a quirky sense of humour (he could not have been more accommodating to us. Our room was small but impeccable, with a large shared terrace and a very well appointed bathroom. The menus were varied and interesting and offered good value. .The food was cooked to our liking and it was very pleasant to eat out on the terrace under the shade of the large trees.
The staff go home between mealtimes, which may explain one comment about difficultty with contacting reception.
We plan to return to the reataurant, as we now live nearby.

6  Thank Mvanblanc
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Wonderful attention to detail. Excellent value for money.
My main course was over cooked, but when I 'complained', the head waiter was horrified and went out of his way to rectify this. Loved the old fashioned service and courtesy.
The food was well presented, imaginative and very tasty.