“Best Place to Stay in Mexico”
Review of Majahuitas Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Majahuitas
Majahuitas Resort
Everett, Washington, United States
“Best Place to Stay in Mexico”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I don't think there is enough I can say about Majahuitas, this was by far the best trip my wife and I have been on. First off I must preface this by saying that this is not your typical Mexico resort. If you are looking to lay by a pool all day and hit up clubs at night this is not the place to stay. If you are a fan of relaxing and enjoying some of the best views in Mexico this is the place to go.

My Wife and I decided to stay here because of a groupon we found and thought it was worth a shot. We started off not knowing what to expect so we only booked 4 nights here to try it out. Needless to say we did not want to leave on the final day and wish we would have booked an extra week., In fact upon returning back to the states we have already started to plan our next trip here next year.

We stayed in Los Arcos Casita, and the view was incrediable. There is no power in the Casita, but there are a few reading lights. We did not use these lights once, each night upon returning from dinner the path and the Casita was lit up with candles. If you need to charge anything there is a generator running for about 8 hours each day in the main building for you to charge your kindles or your cameras.

The service here is unbeatable. I must say the owners, managers, and staff all do their best in making sure this stay is perfect for each person. If there is something you need just ask. Julian was one of the best bartenders and servers I have ever had. Between him and Andre we were never felt like something was missing. I must also thank Margo and Kevin for making Majahuitas feel like home, the whole place does not have the stale feeling you get with most resorts, it's a very welcoming place where everyone interacts. The food was increble as well. there are three meals a day; breakfast at 9:30, lunch at 2:30, and dinner around 8. I am sure you can ask what each meal is, but we had more fun being surprised and not one meal actually disappointed us. Far better than any other all inclusive resort. The Breakfast and Lunch are served on the beach with your significant other; Dinner is served family style for every night but the last where they set up a romantic dinner on the beach.

There is plenty to do here, we did not do the full waterfall hike because of some sunburn, instead we did the short hike which was plenty of fun, and the waterfall was aswesome. After finsihing the hike we stopped in town for one of the best beers I have every had (ice cold on a hot day). We also took Kevin's advise and went zip lining. I would suggest if there is one thing you do its zip lining. I always thought this would be a boring experience, but the staff there is fun and there are 14 different lines. We spent another day paddle boarding and kayaking. As soon as I got on the paddle board, Lady (one of the dogs) jumped on board and made for quite an experience. We saw sting rays swimming in the bay with us, and lots of fish., One afternoon we say a pod of dolphins swimming. Being this far away for the city allowed us to see many animals we dont typically run into in the city.

I cannot thank Margo and Kevin enough for this trip (oh and Julie when she stepped in to give them a day off). The experience was like nothing I can describe. We will be back next year and will continue to return until the day they close (3 years). I almost don't want to write such a great review because I want to keep this place to myself, but I hope that everyone gets to experience this, and I hope that something changes with the government and Majahuitas can stay open for many more years.

Thanks for everything guys! We will be back soon, I already miss the dogs!

Curtis

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Curtis K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Majahuitas Resort is one of those hidden gems, a secret paradise, that not many people discover on their own, so this review is to spread the good word. My husband and I went there for my 30th birthday in April. We had the Groupon for 4 nights but ended up booking 3 additional nights. The idea was to avoid the hassle of switching hotels, so we can truly enjoy one place for a full week. And that’s what I would recommend. It was the best decision we ever made and we cannot wait to go back next year. If you’re looking to escape to Mexico to experience world-class service and food, this is the ideal place.

First, let me state that our trip would not have been so perfect if it wasn’t for the outstanding team of people that took care of us. Kevin, Margot, Julie, Julian, Jero, Andy, Mani, the chefs, the 4 dogs… everyone was so genuine, friendly, and down to earth. Their hospitality is unmatched. I’ve been to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, so I can guarantee you cannot get this kind of personal attention anywhere else. I never thought that I could feel at home when I’m on vacation. They truly are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. What I appreciated the most was that they took care of everything and we got to enjoy ourselves without any worries.

Secondly, the food was amazing. I had pretty high expectations and I was not once disappointed. Every meal was an experience and we ate everything that was in front of us. Even when we felt full, it was that good and we could not turn it away. The variety of fresh fruit at breakfast was to die for. The tapas at lunch, oh my! You will not want to eat chips and salsa after you’ve tasted theirs. We had a different meal every time, every day. No repeats, which is pretty amazing. The chefs are so talented. Every day, I would say, “This was my favorite lunch” and it would be 100% true. For dinner, the three course meal was just perfect. Besides the traditional margarita, mojito and mai tai, I would recommend rum fizz and Paloma. Or just leave it up to Kevin!

Lastly, I can see why this resort appeals to so many different kinds of people: from all parts of North America, young and old(er), honeymooners and singles, straight and gay, special occasion or just plain going on a vacation. There are only 8 houses, so all the guests get to know each other, either on the beach or during activities, but especially at dinner. We truly enjoyed the conversations around the fire pit on the beach. The activities are definitely more fun as a group, so I would recommend the hike to the waterfall and the canopy zip line with the Los Veranos crew. Going to the little village of Yelapa is another way to spend half a day exploring Mexico.

Whatever the magic formula is for this place, it’s working! Everyone deserves a break from their hectic lives. At Majahuitas, we had the most unforgettable vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views and individual charm. We enjoyed the comfort of the Jungle House the most...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nina P
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Both my hubby and I fell in love with this resort. With a candlit path from our Jungle House to the beach, we were wonderfully pampered! Kevin, Margot and dogs were absolutely amazing. We would like to return again next year. Who needs to do any type of excursion when Mani is at the helm of the water taxi? We spotted dolphins, manta ray and also whales while in the water taxi. The food? When asked if I want to eat out Mexican is the very last thing I go for. However, after eating 5 star gourmet at the Majahuitas Resort, I am a Mexican "foodie."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheri M
Chicago
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Any time I need to visit my "happy place" in my head, I'll be thinking about mornings in the Cliff House overlooking the sea: watching pelicans dive for fish, strong coffee in hand, the sound of the waves and the breeze on my face. Majahuitas was absolutely heavenly. My husband and I traveled with another couple and shared the Cliff House from January 27th-31st. The weather at that time was absolutely perfect and we never had any problems with critters or bugs in our casita (we didn't even bother with the mosquito nets at night).

I think previous travelers have done a great job covering most things and I won't go over them all again. Majahuitas is fabulous and if you're even considering it, you shouldn't hesitate. Just go.

Things I Wish I'd Known and/or You Might Find Useful:
- Dinner attire was mostly casual. Shorts and a nice tee would be perfectly fine, but we also saw some casual dresses. Nothing fancy. I loved the undone hair, no-makeup vibe.
- If you're female and traveling at that time of the month, bring plenty of supplies (you won't be able to run out and grab more) and *definitely* bring feminine hygeine disposal bags. There are no lids on the garbage cans in the bathrooms and you can't flush anything. ;)
- If you're going to be on the beach at night (for a bonfire, etc.), use bug spray even if you don't see any bugs. We didn't see any, but around the time we got home, hundreds of sand flea bites appeared on our feet and ankles! Our fault for skipping the bug spray.
- If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs. I'm not a light sleeper and still had trouble sleeping the first night. I'd read that the waves can be loud, but I wasn't prepared for how loud they really were!
- We took the jungle hike and all agreed we probably wouldn't do it again. We're young, healthy 20-somethings and found the hike pretty grueling. Grueling is okay if it's worth it, but we were disappointed at the lack of "sights" along the hike (just a lot of trees). We also found that the quick pace combined with the lack of actual trail left you watching your feet the whole way rather than taking in your surroundings. If you do go on the hike, I recommend bringing some nice hiking sandals - something that will give you sturdy footing but can be submerged in water.

How the Staff Went Out of Their Way for Us:
- Kevin spent a lot of time with us our first day there. We took a short kayak trip to snorkel (he brought all the pups!) and he threw some bread in the water. So many beautiful fish came that they were literally bumping into our snorkel masks!
- One day we were talking to Kevin and Margot about octopus (we mentioned that we liked it). The next day at lunch, we were served a whole grilled octopus for lunch. Best we've ever had, by the way.
- We had a sick traveler one day (we do NOT think this had anything to do with Maja's food) and Margot was right there to the rescue with Immodium and Gatorade.
- When the guys asked about getting some cigars, Kevin had them brought in by boat.

Thanks Kevin and Margot for a fabulous trip - we can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: There are lots of steps up to the Cliff House, but the view is worth every one!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Missy R
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

No complaints here. My family had a wonderful time. The food was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

I visited with my wife, 2 kids, and sister and everyone had a great time and wished we booked a longer stay. It is definitely a beach/jungle resort so do not expect a 4 start hotel, there are definitely limited resources and amenities. But if you want a great, relaxing place to vacation in Mexico, this is the place.

The owners are so nice and mellow and did I mentions the staff! I did, but they deserve a second mention, especially Julian!

Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kevin W
Stettler
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a sparkling little gem of a place, and we are glad that we got to be a part of it, if even for a short while. Our family stayed a week and were entranced by the magic of the place. If you are up for rest and relaxation in a tranquil setting, this is the place for you.

The stay started out very adventurous, with an hour long cab ride (which we were told by the hotel would be $35, but the cab guy insisted on charging us $70....) and then a delightful boat ride to the resort. It was very fun to carry our luggage across the beach and into the awaiting boat. We were greeted with great warmth by the very personable hosts and owners who made us feel a part of the wonderful thing that is Majahuitas right away.

Our family of five stayed in Cliff Casa, which is a bit of a stair climb, but the view is worth it. It worked perfectly for us, with two single beds upstairs for the kids, and 2 double rooms downstairs. It was very open but exactly as one would want it to be for an oceanside stay. It could be a bit breezy at the front and upstairs at times. Were were glad to have perfect weather out entire stay - not sure it would have been as ideal if there were rainy or really windy weather. We expected rustic conditions, so were not surprised with the lack of electricity, and pleased with the perfectly functioning toilets. The shower had lots of hot water, even though the water pressure was a bit hit and miss. The waves crashing on the rocks below were a little noisy, and the full moon was pretty bright at night. But it all added to part of the ambiance, and we didn't find that these minor things detracted at all away from our stay.

The greatest asset of Majahuitas is the staff who do anything to accomodate. From the bustling servers who do everything to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible, to the owners who do their best that everything be exactly the way you like it. The chefs were great, and we enjoyed hearing the gong each time beckoning us to our meals. We enjoyed our meals immensely. There was a lot of seafood and mexican, though they did accomodate to our preferences. The drinks were reasonable priced, though I would have expected a basic like water to have been included in the price, not an addition.

The activities were awesome. Just relaxing on the beach was wonderful, especially since your set of chairs were reserved, so not having to fight hoards for a place to sit was one of the highlights. There is an amazing little snorkling cove right there, as well as fun activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, whale watching, and splashing in the surf. The massage was great. Ping pong, beach volleyball, a library, hunting hermit crabs - lots to find to do. The hike to the waterfall was a bit strenuous, so they offered my young son a boat ride there. The zipline tour they arranged was fun - even for one afraid of heights. Certainly something for everyone in terms of getting back to nature and relaxing. Dining each night by candle light on the beach was unforgettable. And the little touches, like the easter baskets and egg hunt they arranged for the children, make all the difference in making this place feel like you belong.

Some tips:
- we didn't see mosquitos, but there are ticks in the forest, so bring OFF if you plan to hike
-they have lots of books to borrow if you don't bring your own - there is lots of downtime. They have a charger in the lobby for i-pads and e-readers
-bring bug bite stuff. Seems to be little ants or something that bite.
-flip flops are all you need - maybe shoes if you plan to hike

Room Tip: All of the 8 casitas have their own charm. All have an ocean view and offer privacy despite being o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank wanderingroots
New Boston, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I loved this place. The food was amazing. The people were great. Wonderfully relaxing feel. It was a great time. We enjoyed kayaking in the ocean, hiking through the mountains and lounging on the beach. I would love to be there now :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roxanne K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Majahuitas
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#87 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
#37 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Majahuitas Resort? Share your experiences!