Majahuitas Resort
Hotel Lagunita(Yelapa)(Great Value!)
$78
$46
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$233
$217
  • Breakfast included
$355
$272
  • Pool
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$449
$140
Hotel Mousai(Puerto Vallarta)
$349
$260
  • Pool
Costa Sur Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$92
$321
$299
Bookit.com
Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$79
$56
  • Pool
Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$146
$127
All reviewspirate shipbreakfast and lunchother guestsopen airday tripperspuerto vallartazip liningfishprivate tableour honeymoonevery mealthe food is greatoctopuscan't wait to go backfew bitespaddle boardsdinner on the beach
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Both my hubby and I fell in love with this resort. With a candlit path from our Jungle House to the beach, we were wonderfully pampered! Kevin, Margot and dogs were absolutely amazing. We would like to return again next year. Who needs to do any type of excursion when Mani is at the helm of the water taxi? We spotted dolphins, manta ray and also whales while in the water taxi. The food? When asked if I want to eat out Mexican is the very last thing I go for. However, after eating 5 star gourmet at the Majahuitas Resort, I am a Mexican "foodie."

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheri M
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Any time I need to visit my "happy place" in my head, I'll be thinking about mornings in the Cliff House overlooking the sea: watching pelicans dive for fish, strong coffee in hand, the sound of the waves and the breeze on my face. Majahuitas was absolutely heavenly. My husband and I traveled with another couple and shared the Cliff House from January 27th-31st. The weather at that time was absolutely perfect and we never had any problems with critters or bugs in our casita (we didn't even bother with the mosquito nets at night).

I think previous travelers have done a great job covering most things and I won't go over them all again. Majahuitas is fabulous and if you're even considering it, you shouldn't hesitate. Just go.

Things I Wish I'd Known and/or You Might Find Useful:
- Dinner attire was mostly casual. Shorts and a nice tee would be perfectly fine, but we also saw some casual dresses. Nothing fancy. I loved the undone hair, no-makeup vibe.
- If you're female and traveling at that time of the month, bring plenty of supplies (you won't be able to run out and grab more) and *definitely* bring feminine hygeine disposal bags. There are no lids on the garbage cans in the bathrooms and you can't flush anything. ;)
- If you're going to be on the beach at night (for a bonfire, etc.), use bug spray even if you don't see any bugs. We didn't see any, but around the time we got home, hundreds of sand flea bites appeared on our feet and ankles! Our fault for skipping the bug spray.
- If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs. I'm not a light sleeper and still had trouble sleeping the first night. I'd read that the waves can be loud, but I wasn't prepared for how loud they really were!
- We took the jungle hike and all agreed we probably wouldn't do it again. We're young, healthy 20-somethings and found the hike pretty grueling. Grueling is okay if it's worth it, but we were disappointed at the lack of "sights" along the hike (just a lot of trees). We also found that the quick pace combined with the lack of actual trail left you watching your feet the whole way rather than taking in your surroundings. If you do go on the hike, I recommend bringing some nice hiking sandals - something that will give you sturdy footing but can be submerged in water.

How the Staff Went Out of Their Way for Us:
- Kevin spent a lot of time with us our first day there. We took a short kayak trip to snorkel (he brought all the pups!) and he threw some bread in the water. So many beautiful fish came that they were literally bumping into our snorkel masks!
- One day we were talking to Kevin and Margot about octopus (we mentioned that we liked it). The next day at lunch, we were served a whole grilled octopus for lunch. Best we've ever had, by the way.
- We had a sick traveler one day (we do NOT think this had anything to do with Maja's food) and Margot was right there to the rescue with Immodium and Gatorade.
- When the guys asked about getting some cigars, Kevin had them brought in by boat.

Thanks Kevin and Margot for a fabulous trip - we can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: There are lots of steps up to the Cliff House, but the view is worth every one!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Missy R
Reviewed April 7, 2013

No complaints here. My family had a wonderful time. The food was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

I visited with my wife, 2 kids, and sister and everyone had a great time and wished we booked a longer stay. It is definitely a beach/jungle resort so do not expect a 4 start hotel, there are definitely limited resources and amenities. But if you want a great, relaxing place to vacation in Mexico, this is the place.

The owners are so nice and mellow and did I mentions the staff! I did, but they deserve a second mention, especially Julian!

Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a sparkling little gem of a place, and we are glad that we got to be a part of it, if even for a short while. Our family stayed a week and were entranced by the magic of the place. If you are up for rest and relaxation in a tranquil setting, this is the place for you.

The stay started out very adventurous, with an hour long cab ride (which we were told by the hotel would be $35, but the cab guy insisted on charging us $70....) and then a delightful boat ride to the resort. It was very fun to carry our luggage across the beach and into the awaiting boat. We were greeted with great warmth by the very personable hosts and owners who made us feel a part of the wonderful thing that is Majahuitas right away.

Our family of five stayed in Cliff Casa, which is a bit of a stair climb, but the view is worth it. It worked perfectly for us, with two single beds upstairs for the kids, and 2 double rooms downstairs. It was very open but exactly as one would want it to be for an oceanside stay. It could be a bit breezy at the front and upstairs at times. Were were glad to have perfect weather out entire stay - not sure it would have been as ideal if there were rainy or really windy weather. We expected rustic conditions, so were not surprised with the lack of electricity, and pleased with the perfectly functioning toilets. The shower had lots of hot water, even though the water pressure was a bit hit and miss. The waves crashing on the rocks below were a little noisy, and the full moon was pretty bright at night. But it all added to part of the ambiance, and we didn't find that these minor things detracted at all away from our stay.

The greatest asset of Majahuitas is the staff who do anything to accomodate. From the bustling servers who do everything to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible, to the owners who do their best that everything be exactly the way you like it. The chefs were great, and we enjoyed hearing the gong each time beckoning us to our meals. We enjoyed our meals immensely. There was a lot of seafood and mexican, though they did accomodate to our preferences. The drinks were reasonable priced, though I would have expected a basic like water to have been included in the price, not an addition.

The activities were awesome. Just relaxing on the beach was wonderful, especially since your set of chairs were reserved, so not having to fight hoards for a place to sit was one of the highlights. There is an amazing little snorkling cove right there, as well as fun activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, whale watching, and splashing in the surf. The massage was great. Ping pong, beach volleyball, a library, hunting hermit crabs - lots to find to do. The hike to the waterfall was a bit strenuous, so they offered my young son a boat ride there. The zipline tour they arranged was fun - even for one afraid of heights. Certainly something for everyone in terms of getting back to nature and relaxing. Dining each night by candle light on the beach was unforgettable. And the little touches, like the easter baskets and egg hunt they arranged for the children, make all the difference in making this place feel like you belong.

Some tips:
- we didn't see mosquitos, but there are ticks in the forest, so bring OFF if you plan to hike
-they have lots of books to borrow if you don't bring your own - there is lots of downtime. They have a charger in the lobby for i-pads and e-readers
-bring bug bite stuff. Seems to be little ants or something that bite.
-flip flops are all you need - maybe shoes if you plan to hike

Room Tip: All of the 8 casitas have their own charm. All have an ocean view and offer privacy despite being open air. Cliff Casa fit a larger family with the best views, though a little breezy and with some surf noise. The beach house seemed cozy, but perhaps a little too close to the action of the kitchen and beach chairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank wanderingroots
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I loved this place. The food was amazing. The people were great. Wonderfully relaxing feel. It was a great time. We enjoyed kayaking in the ocean, hiking through the mountains and lounging on the beach. I would love to be there now :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple