“Incredible Mexican Getaway for travelers!”
Review of Majahuitas Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Majahuitas
Majahuitas Resort
Minneapolis
“Incredible Mexican Getaway for travelers!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Let me start my review with the only negative of this resort. It is not for everyone.
That being said, if you can handle an open air casita, serene beach cove, your own private chef making fresh Mexican meals, great company, and no worries in the world then this is for you!
Upon arrival from your 20-30 minute boat ride in a small fishing type boat (because the only way you can get here is by boat) you are greated by several staff members to assist you in grabbing your luggage as you run to avoid the next wave from grabbing your feet.
After a brief check in to confirm your food preferences (ie. vegan, vegetarian, no onions, etc) and favorite morning beverage you are guiding to your own casita.
We were lucky enough to stay in the Cliff House which was situated above the cove of Majahuitas. The only downside to our house is that it was over 60 stairs to reach our little home. Otherwise our room was equipped with separate bedrooms, 2 toilets, 2 showers, and 2 sinks. Since it was just my wife and I we each took our own bathroom which worked out very nicely. The waves at night were louder than expected and it was a little difficult to sleep the first night but sleep seemed to go fine after that first night.
The GONG sounds when all meals are ready to go. Breakfast and Lunch with the group you came with. Dinner is eaten family style with one large table including all the guests.
Each meal was unique and the food was phenominal. We eat out a lot and we eat a lot of Mexican food and this food was GREAT! I won't give away too much about the menu because I think the surprise is fun. If you do not want to be surprised, let the staff know and they will customize your meals to meet your wants and needs.
There are optional activities to take part in. Generally, there is one activity in the morning each day that some take part in and some do not. We took part in everything and we really enjoyed everything. The hike through the jungle (as I call it) was a lot of fun. It was a long walk and you better be in decent shape to finish it. It culminates with some cool looking falls. Again, I don't want to give away the extra fun pieces of thie hike but I think it is worth going on.
We went on a zip-line tour that we paid extra for but was organized through the resort. As someone who is deathly afraid of heights, I dealt with my fear and the staff there was great in making sure everyone feels very safe. The zipline company is an American owned company (take that for what it is worth).
On another day, we took advantage of the kayaks and snorkle gear and did a little snorkling. Make sure to ask for some bread from the staff before going and you will see hundreds of fish surround you.

There are probably several things we are forgetting to mention but to me the most important things to note are that the staff members are EXCELLENT. They go above and beyond to make sure your stay and experience are 5 star. Second, you feel nothing but safe at the resort and in your open air casita. Although I had nightmares of indigenous people raiding our casita, after going on the hike you realize that nobody lives within an hour of this place. There are not wild tigers or sharks to worry about either. Lastly, the environment is very much on Mexican time. Chill, relax, and enjoy life. You being to ask yourself why do I work so hard to enjoy this for only a few days?

Thank you to the staff and the other guest that stayed with us. We made some great friends during our stay and we hope to see you all again sooner than later!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our second trip to Majahuitas. The first time, we came alone and loved it. The second time, we brought two other couples. Its extremely hard to find a place that is as beautiful, intimate, welcoming and delightful as Majahuitas. Kevin, Margot and the staff go the extra mile to make things 'just right'. The food is uniformly delicious and there is plenty to do there. Its a remote place without a lot of 'trappings'. But simplicity is bliss and Majahuitas is heaven.

Room Tip: All of the casitas are very nice. We loved the Cliff house but many of the others are also very nice...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you want a place that is a challenge to reach, because when you get there it is the best place ever - then go here. Margot and Kevin give you a warm welcome which results in immediate relaxation and peace of mind. All is done with no fuss but perfect attention. The staff are always ready to help and very friendly but somehow invisible, so no pressure! The houses are all different but desirable for their differences. The food is so good that I would challenge you not to eat everything every day for however long you can stay.
Two important facts: if you want a butler and accompanying luxury, it is not here.
If you want absolute comfort, ease, peace and anything you can think of, it will be here.
In all my travels it is one of two places to which I would love to return.

Room Tip: All different but well cleaned, working order, comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed February 13, 2013

While searching for a place to stay, My husband and I were impressed with other travelers who returned to this magical place year after year. It met our expectations in every way. This is a family run resort, private and very relaxing. We enjoyed the other guests in the evening and had plenty of privacy during the day. Several families and couples were here at the time. The karaf of coffee left on your doorstep each morning and the votive candles that light your way at night were just a few of the details that make this a very special place. Don't overpack or arrive in high heels!!!! Flip flops will do here! We enjoyed being "unplugged" for the 5 days we were here and found it very relaxing with perfect weather in December. We were treated to a banquet on the beach for Christmas dinner followed by Miracle on 42nd street! What fun. Having 4 Yellow Labs greet you and scope out whales on the beach is
another thing that made this a memorable vacation. Thank you Margot and Kevin!

Room Tip: Margot will help you with this - the casitas are all different sizes so it depends on your group
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia052
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Traveled to Majahuitas with my husband and 3 other couples in January 2013. We enjoyed every moment. Margot, Kevin, the staff and dogs greeted us upon arrival and made us feel welcomed immediately. At checkin, Margot clearly asks if there are any restrictions with food. I was by far the pickiest person in our group- I like to control sauces on my food so throughout our stay, my food came with my sauce (even yogurt) on the side. If you have ANYTHING you don't like, let them know at the start and they will accommodate you, it really is no big deal to them. They want you to enjoy their food, and believe me, it is delicious! And there is a TON of it! The staff works very hard daily to make sure you can enjoy relaxing. We snorkeled, kayaked, the guys went fishing, we played volleyball everyday with the staff at 4:30, half of the group went zip lining, and we lounged on the beach. The hike to the waterfall is a MUST, but you need to be in decent shape. So worth it! I suggest taking your own battery operated fan. We had one in our room, I thought it was too loud. We will be visiting again and will take our own when we go next time. Also, yes, bathing suits might not dry out. Take a bathing suit for each day, and clothes for dinner. Other than that, you don't need much. Loved meeting the other couples with family style dinners in the evenings. Was a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: I loved ours, La Luna! I saw all the insides except for 2: the Beach House and Mangos. The Beach hou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tricia H
Columbus
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon here, and the resort offered everything as advertised! It is so remote in the jungle that a boat ferry had to take us to the resort. The food was great and the beach was even better. On a crowded day, we had 12 other people on our side of the beach with us. I say our “side” because there is a public side to the beach that is open for a couple of hours a day. The management at Majahuitas was very active to make sure that the public does not come to the more private side. I also liked the fact that I could swim to one of the best snorkeling location on Puerto Vallarta. The accommodations are “high-end rustic.” There is running water, but no electricity. My wife and I knew this going in and we went to this location specifically to “detox” our systems of phones and technology. We felt like family while we were there, and it was hard to leave in the end!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that catches the ocean breeze. There is no AC.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt B
Kingman, Arizona, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Very private and peaceful. The concept of the open air casita was wonderful, however after the first 24 hours everything we brought with us was damp and only proceeded to get worse. Maybe it was the time of year (January) but after 4 nights we were ready to leave. Highlights were the food, bon fires on the beach, hike to the waterfall, exceptional staff, and a quiet and private beach. Bar was well stocked and Kevin makes a great margarita. Those needing a hair dryer or any other electrical appliance need not consider Majahuitas Resort as there are no electrical outlets. But for those looking for a great vacation experience out of the ordinary this is the place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Majahuitas
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#86 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
#37 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Majahuitas Resort? Share your experiences!