Majahuitas Resort
Agoda.com
$112
$81
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$476
Hotel Mousai(Puerto Vallarta)
$345
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Costa Sur Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$121
$99
$356
$299
Bookit.com
Hotel Playa Fiesta(Puerto Vallarta)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspirate shipbreakfast and lunchother guestsopen airday tripperspuerto vallartazip liningfishprivate tableour honeymoonevery mealthe food is greatoctopuscan't wait to go backfew bitespaddle boardsdinner on the beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I stumbled upon this slice of paradise via a Groupon deal that the resort did and we are both so happy that she saw it and decided to buy it. This was exactly the kind of low key vacation spot we were looking for after going to all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean the last few years. We stayed in May of 2012 in the Cliff House. We spent quite a bit of time combing reviews and checking out the casitas prior to booking so we had a pretty good idea of what we were getting into. All of the casitas were available but we chose the cliff house due to the view and the privacy. It is also one of the casitas with an outdoor shower. One of my favorite things to do while there was to drink coffee in the morning before breakfast while overlooking the entire beach. I have broken out each portion of the trip below to capture our experience and offer advice.

Getting There:
------No real problem, there was a Majahuitas representative at the Puerto Vallarta airport who arranged a cab and we actually had another couple on the same flight that was going so we were able to split the cab fare. The boat was at the dock waiting, our luggage was loaded by the staff and away we went! The only major watch out is once you deplane and get your luggage, you have to go through this corridor to get to the main airport "lobby" where the Majahuitas rep is and these corridors are full of people (vultures?) trying to show you time shares. IGNORE THEM!!! They will tell you anything to get you to stop. There are two corridors that you must go through like this and once you get to the point to where you can actually walk outdoors in the sun from the airport you will be able turn around and find the guy in the blue majahuitas shirt. The time share people will lie and stop at nothing to get you to talk to them and even tell you that they are your transportation to the resort. The companies pay top dollar to be the first people that tourists see when they exit the airport so just be careful and don't be had.

Check-in:
-----Really easy. Boat pulled up and we were greeted by Margo, Kevin, the staff and the lovely dogs. Margo went over our accommodations, what was included and excluded, and asked if we had any dietary restrictions or preferences. Our luggage was taken to our room and we got the quick tour while walking up the stairs to the cliff house.

The Room:
-----As I have already mentioned we LOVED the cliff house. The view, the seclusion, the shower, everything! It does have some stairs and they are lit by candle at night so be sure to keep the flashlight that they provide at check-in with you for returning at night. We looked at Los Arcos and Los Mangos as they were unoccupied while we were there and we still prefer the Cliff house. We did discover while looking to book our second trip that the cliff house does cost more than the others ($20 additional/night) but even with that we still want to stay there again. I am assuming that since this house is the most secluded and farthest out that it requires more time to clean and maintain so this justifies the additional charge. I would highly recommend this house but like other reviewers have said, each room is beautiful and has its own vibe so do your research and pick the one that fits your personality as there really isn't a bad choice. All rooms are open air and we did have some spiders that we had to "remove" but nothing major. It did get warm during our stay and that made sleeping somewhat uncomfortable but May is the beginning of the warm season so that is simply Mother Nature.

Food:
-----Food was wonderful! After doing the all-inclusive thing where choices abound, it was nice to let the chef choose the meal. Everything was delicious, fresh, and locally sourced. One day one of the regular guests (Russo!!!) went fishing in the morning and returned with his catch which was prepared for all 8 guests as ceviche for lunch! Everything does have to come in by boat, including ice, so it is amazing what they can do for meals. The food was not 5 star restaurant good but it was fantastic, original, and I feel it fit perfectly with the overall atmosphere of the resort.

Service:
-----Service was great, the only thing is that sometimes I felt guilty asking Kevin to get up from his hammock to make a drink for us. You really feel like you are in someone's home while you are here which is a good thing. With that said, if I wanted or needed something I got it and it was fine. Rooms were cleaned daily, staff was friendly and "original". By that I mean they are locals, not city people hired and trained. We met the family of one of the staff members on the hike to the Quixmisto falls and even got a taste of tequilla from his grandfather. It was a very personal touch because they are so nice and genuine. It was a great way to experience a different culture.

Other Things to Note:
-----Alcohol is not included. This is made clear by their website but I just want to say it again. We were used to all-inclusives and that got the better of us as our bill for 4 nights was more than expected. This is certainly not the resorts fault at all as they have to charge since everything is boated in but please consider this for your budget. They have quite an assortment of beverages and we were trying some of the premium varieties. The normal items (beer, house wine, etc) are very reasonably priced. If you are curious, you can ask Kevin what your tab is and they can give you an idea of where you stand so you don't realize at check out how much of a lush you are. Kevin is a great bartender and we certainly enjoyed the bon fire with a nice whiskey or wine.

-----We did not go to Yelapa but we will next time. We did do the water fall hike and it was great. It was great to go in the jungle and see the surrounding area. Bring some money for the tenant at the falls. The water at the falls is so refreshing and the view is great. It is also a great workout after lounging on the beach for a few days.

-----We both got massages but we will probably forgo these the next time. They were great but we just felt like we would rather save that money. The lady who does them is good and scheduling is super easy.

-----The overall value is debatable. When comparing the price to what you could get at an all-inclusive resort people may wonder why do this when I can go to the all-inclusive but if you like a true low-key vacation on a secluded beach then you can't find better. Everything has to be boated in to Majahuitas so they have to cover their transportation costs and this is reflected in the rate. They can only accommodate 8 "reservations" and up to 30 people unlike a large resort where you can have 2,000 people which allows the large resorts to charge low rates. We feel that what they are charging is necessary and is not outrageous at all. We went on a deal via the Groupon last May and we are planning to book TWO trips for 2013, one in the early spring and one around Thanksgiving at their normal rate if that says anything about the price.

----On the weekdays a pirate ship comes and stays for a few hours. To be honest, we barely noticed the people. It was cool watching them set up prior to the boats arrival but they stay on the far side of the beach. On the weekends private yachts come in and dock and they mostly kept to themselves. The resort staff do run people away if they try to go on the property but the beach is fair game as it is federal land.

---The sand is somewhat course so if you have sensitive feet you may want to carry some water shoes or sandals or something. My feet got used to it after a few days but it was rough.

----They say on their website that there is a 20% discount if you pay in cash at checkout. This (I believe) is due to the difficulty and cost associated with credit charges as the area is rural and the closest bank is in the city of Puerto Vallarta. Keep that in mind for an easy "discount" when booking. Also, if you do not have enough cash to pay for the full trip, please leave the tip in cash if possible. It is easier for the resort to deal with credit charges than for the staff members.

----Don't forget the cash and tip for the cab ride back to the airport

Overall we loved it and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The cliff house offers a great view but does come at an additional $20/night cost. We loved the view, the seclusion, and the outdoor shower. All rooms are great so do as much research as you can to check out the vibe. It is impossible to make a wrong choice as all are unique and offer the most magnificent setting.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This review is long overdue but it wouldn't feel right not expressing my gratitude to the wonderful Majahuitas staff! This small resort in the middle of no where is stunning. We stayed in the Cliff House and loved the privacy and the added exercise after a huge meal! The bed was very comfy and although it was warm and humid during our stay, the breeze off the ocean kept the room cool. We had a few "visitors" during our stay, including a hummingbird that would buzz my husbands head every morning during coffee and an armadillo!
The food was fantastic although portions for breakfast and lunch were a bit too large. Kevin's margaritas deserve an award. Easily the best we've ever had!
Unfortunately, on the last full day of our trip I came down with a nasty stomach bug. I'm sure I got sick from something I had eaten in Yelapa the day before. Margo sprung in to action and made sure I had lots of Gatorade, ginger ale and imodium. . I will never forget her kindness. It sucks being sick so far away from home and it was great having another person, besides my wonderful husband, looking out for me.
A truly wonderful place. We hope to be back someday!!

Room Tip: Cliff House is delightfully private, although stairs are not for the faint of heart!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We vacationed at Majahuitas Resort in mid-May. We stayed at the cliff house which is a hike up above to the side of the cove where the resort located. The waves as night were quite loud but is basically all you hear at night from this casita. I am told that there are 8 casitas total, although while we were there only 4 other couples (5 total) were there at one time and only for one night. Since you take a boat to the resort and there are no roads in it is very quiet and relaxing. I would recommend that you bring a flashlight as there is no electricity. The candles and solar lighting is enough, the flashlight came in handy.
This resort would be best if you are a low maintenance kind of person. Bring things to keep you busy as there are no TV, etc. They do have many books to borrow and a few games to play. Dinner was at 8 PM and breakfast wasn't until 10 AM so you have lots of time and it took me a while to unwind from the fast pace of my life to my vacation. I can say I would have loved to stay longer and was sad to leave after 5 days.

Please read all the reviews so that you know what to expect. We were very busy right before vacation so that I forgot a few things as we booked in February. We didn't have much cash in order to tip the staff at he end of our stay.

Room Tip: How much walking or stairs do you want? What kind of a view? Let the resort help you pick your room based on these things.
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this "one of a kind" resort on Banderas Bay. Our Jungle Casita was like a first class tree house along a tropical beach. No air conditioning or electricity needed here. After dinner, home made candles lit the path back and illuminated our casita. The ocean lulled us to sleep.
The three full meals each day were "one of a kind" too, something you would expect at a gourmet restaurant; fresh squeezed OJ, mushroom quiche, avocado soup, octopus with tropical fruit. The food alone is worth the stay! Our last night, they had a romantic sunset dinner on the beach just for us!
Kevin, Margo, Alex and all the staff made it a most memorable experience. Thanks to all!

Room Tip: All the casitas are unique with ocean views. Would be great to experience each one as they are all terrific!
2  Thank oceancoral
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This unique resort on Banderas Bay near Puerto Vallarta is fantastic. The owners and staff are friendly and helpful and give you a wonderful experience. Yes, the solar power makes the casitas more rustic with no air conditioning and no tv or wi-fi, but the ocean breezes and the feeling of complete freedom from the outside world make it worth it! As for the food, my husband and I have traveled to over 50 countries, and rarely have we ever had better, fresher food. I suggest that if you read a bad review of Majahuitas Resort, those folks probably belonged in a 5 star, totally unimaginative, run of the mill condo or hotel. This place is one of a kind and I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple