“The monument to savory pies”

The Crown & Tuns - Puddingface, The Pie Place
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Deddington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to PuddingFace Do you have a penchant for pies? Puddingface offers a whole host of pies including traditional meat and vegetarian, fish and game, as well as some less conventional recipes. All Homemade!Lunch times bookings are taken Monday to Saturday 12-2pm and Sunday 12 to 2.30 Please call the pub to book. No evening reservations/bookings taken, come along have a drink at the bar, let our staff know you wish to eat and we will seat you as soon as a table comes available or will endeavour to keep you informed on how long the wait is likely to be.Largest single table we are able to accommodate is for 8 people due to the size of our pub and the nature of our business baking pies to order we are not really suitable for larger groups. If you insist ...Larger groups will have to be treated as individual smaller tables and your food order taken as they come available during the evening.Due to licence restrictions young children (under 5) can not remain on the premises after 7.30PM and all children (under 14) past 9pm Telephones are manned pub opening hours (not office hours)
Sterling, Virginia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The monument to savory pies”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

A staggering variety of savory pies, far above the standard chicken pot or Shepherd's pie. I had the venison pie and it was excellent, not too gamey without making the taste either. All of my dining companions pies were very good as well. Service was prompt and attentive and the portions are large without being outrageous. I highly recommend it and will try it again if in the area.

“Very allergy friendly!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Being dairy free I would never have thought about going to a pie pub for a meal but my family love this place so I went along with them hoping to find at least something I could eat. To my amazement I found I not only could have the pies (as the pastry isn't made with butter!) but also their apple and cinnamon pie for dessert! Hands down it was the best dessert I have ever tasted. My cousin cannot eat gluten so was hesitant about eating there as well but to her surprise they also did a gluten free pie! We will both be going back here again and on top of everything the service is just excellent. Highly highly recommended.

1 Thank Mrsbedwell
Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
“50th birthday with the family”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just what I wanted to mark my 50th birthday with my family. An Oxfordshire pub in a pretty Oxfordshire village, with the best Oxfordshire beer (Hook Norton, of course) and a wide range of first rate pies that made everyone very happy. The staff were all helpful and welcoming, allowing us the space we wanted while also being attentive. Many thanks to everyone.

Visited March 2013
Banbury, United Kingdom
“One of my Faves!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Always a pleasure coming to Pudding Face! I wish they would change the menu more often, i have been a few times and the menu hasnt appeared to have changed. Other than that; great food & great service.

• Visited March 2013
“Customer service”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Some friends of mine visiting from Canada booked a table . Arrived several minutes after 7 o clock and told that the children could not served because although when booked they were told there would be children. We had travelled some miles to get there . They were very unhelpful and unfriendly. Would not go there again. Our friends got a very bad impression of English hospitality

1 Thank Animalov
antlouhay, Owner at The Crown & Tuns - Puddingface, The Pie Place, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
This review has created some amusement with my customers and staff as you state firstly your friends made a booking and secondly at the time of booking told us there would be children..

My reply is firstly in 10 years we have never taken taken bookings for evenings and secondly we have a restriction on our licence concerning young children and had your friends would have been told this had they enquired.

we we not unhelpful or unfriendly the rules and our licence are clear ... young children have to be off the premisses by 7.30pm also clearly stated on the front door.

I am sorry you travelled some distance to get to us but also surprised with young children that no one checked first that we are suitable.

Please a message to all readers please know all the facts before posting reviews if you get it wrong then you are messing with some ones business and all the hard work that goes into running it in difficult times as well as hurt the staff feel.
Consider a tripadvisor type site where your anonymous customers, competitors, peers and all others etc could freely comment on you. How would you feel about untruths?
Anton Hayter