“One of the better places to buy Icelandic knitwear”
Review of Alafoss Wool Store

Alafoss Wool Store
More attraction details
Owner description: Alafoss wool store is located in an old factory by the waterfall Alafoss in Alafosskvos, Mosfellsbaer. You will find a wide range of traditional Icelandic wool sweaters, knitting yarn, and other wool accessories. You can also experience this important side of Iceland's industrial history by visiting the factory building which exhibits a selection of old knitting machinery and photographs from the early days.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Good selection of Icelandic goods at fairly reasonably prices, tinged with the usual slight element of Icelandic madness and including a number of historic knitting machines dotted around the place for good measure. Look for the bargain section at the back which does have some huge reductions but..... not always on something you'd actually want to wear. If you've got time, or you're driving, definitely try here for Icelandic knitwear, speciality yarn, or odd presents for people.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 8, 2014

An easy bus ride out of town to the "factory outlet" to the Alafoss yarn store (clear directions on their website). The prices of Icelandic yarn are very low and make the trip well worthwhile. Not much else in the area except a small cafe and a knife-maker.

1  Thank David M
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I usually steer clear of "souvenir" shops when I travel; they' usually offer "general issue" items that are a waste of money. Not this shop. Its wares were beautifully chosen, often hand-crafted items typical of Iceland -- soaps, tiny elves with hand-knitted clothes, beautiful books of postcards, and of course endless sweaters, mittens, hats and a great selection of wool for knitting. My credit card was JUMPING out of my wallet; I had to forcibly restrain it. And I echo the reviews that mentioned the on-line service; friendly, personal emails accompanied my order of more yarn

4  Thank lizten
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife is a comparison shopper par excellance, so by the time we got to the Alafoss outlet (a short drive north of Reyjavik) we had been everywhere in Reykjavik. The store personnel were very helpful and among other things pointed out that the sweaters come in two weights. The old fashion ones are much heavier than the new modern lighter, form fitted ones preferred by younger shoppers. We on the other hand were looking for sweaters similar to the ones we bought at this shop over 40 years ago and are still wearing! They had everything we wanted in a variety of styles, sizes, and at great prices better than anywhere in Reykjavik! Trust me we had been eveywhere. Anyway we bought 4 sweaters for us and adult children back in the US. Everyone is delighted and good-to-go for another 40 years!. When we got home we noticed that one of the sweaters was missing a button so we sent an email with a picture of the sweater and the button and lo and behold we got an almost instant apology and a they immediately sent a matching button and several spares. You just can't beat their sweaters or service. We found the people of Iceland to be the friendliest of any country visited during our many years of travel. Don't miss it - a ruggedly beautiful country side with a cosmopolitan Reykjavik as well!!

3  Thank Richard M
See more reviews
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This spacious shop is brimming with beautiful knits and knits-to-be. The prices are incredible compared to prices in the US. However, I found the prices at Handknitting Association in Reykjavik to be a little better and those at the department store Hagkaup to be even better.

If you're looking for Plotulopi (unspun Icelandic wool), this is probably the best place to get it. Hagkaup simply doesn't carry it, and although it's a bit cheaper at Handknitting Association, Alafoss has a WAY bigger selection.

I was at Alafoss just before closing time, and although the clerk was friendly, I didn't want to keep her from closing the store, so I didn't end up purchasing anything.

2  Thank knitcat