“Try the Icelandic Meat Soup or the Goulash”
Review of Alafoss Cafe

Alafoss Cafe
Cuisines: Scandinavian, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: T
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Nice little cafe within walking distance of the Hotel Laxnes. Don't miss the waterfalls behind the restaurant. Service was good, though a little slow.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Went here twice during my Iceland visit. Tasty food, pricey but good portions! The fish and potatoes in butter was in particular very nice! Would recommend.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were staying at a local hotel and were recommended to visit this lovely café. We subsequently paid several more visits for snacks, meals, or just a drink - and found the people here to be friendly and attentive.

They have a display of pictures by local artists - all expensive! (but in Iceland you would expect that) and we felt we could linger for as long as we liked. Meals can be expensive but we found that drinks seemed to be reasonably priced. Lunch on our first day was smoked lamb on a local flatbread, which was delicious.

Both of us would happily come back and would probably consider diverting here just to come to the café even if we weren't staying locally.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I wandered in here mid afternoon on a Saturday 3 weeks ago with a friend of mine who knew the place. Despite the kitchen being closed (it was around 3) they rustled up a sort of makeshift club sandwich for me on the basis of my pleadings. Gulla, who owns the place, told me how he has colonized what used to be his childhood home to create the restaurant. He's charming; showed me where his bed had been and where his grandmother sat. I'ts just a local cafe but on the sole basis of my hastily concocted snack I'd vouch for a meal being pretty good. Some reviewers seem to find fault using a metric more appropriate to a Michelin starred restaurant. They should get out more. It's real neighborhood Iceland.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our dinner at this little restaurant. Lovely homemade food and very friendly staff. Will be going again.