“Fantastic Atmosphere”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: T
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were staying at a local hotel and were recommended to visit this lovely café. We subsequently paid several more visits for snacks, meals, or just a drink - and found the people here to be friendly and attentive.

They have a display of pictures by local artists - all expensive! (but in Iceland you would expect that) and we felt we could linger for as long as we liked. Meals can be expensive but we found that drinks seemed to be reasonably priced. Lunch on our first day was smoked lamb on a local flatbread, which was delicious.

Both of us would happily come back and would probably consider diverting here just to come to the café even if we weren't staying locally.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I wandered in here mid afternoon on a Saturday 3 weeks ago with a friend of mine who knew the place. Despite the kitchen being closed (it was around 3) they rustled up a sort of makeshift club sandwich for me on the basis of my pleadings. Gulla, who owns the place, told me how he has colonized what used to be his childhood home to create the restaurant. He's charming; showed me where his bed had been and where his grandmother sat. I'ts just a local cafe but on the sole basis of my hastily concocted snack I'd vouch for a meal being pretty good. Some reviewers seem to find fault using a metric more appropriate to a Michelin starred restaurant. They should get out more. It's real neighborhood Iceland.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our dinner at this little restaurant. Lovely homemade food and very friendly staff. Will be going again.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Kaffihusid Alafossi is on the narrow main street of the old mill village of Alafoss. There's an outsized sign to let you know that they're there and they're open.
The menu is simple and focused, a lamb dish, a fish dish, a chicken dish, salads and appetizers. I usually order just an entree, but that evening I just had to have the meat soup, too. Don't miss it.
And save room for dessert. The place is informal enough that you're welcome to stroll over to the dessert case and stand in awe of the choices.
We were the only ones there when we arrived, and it gave us the opportunity to take in the colorful and fascinating art on the walls. While we were dining, more guests came in and the room became more festive. My only regret is that the weather was windy and damp and we couldn't sit outside by the waterfall. Maybe next time.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Pleasant little restaurant in a small "craft village" location (woollen mill outlet), knife maker and next to a small waterfall, within easy walk of the Hotel Laxnes in Mosfellsbaer (and offering 10% discount for their guests).

Not a large choice on the menu but everything we tried was excellent. We particularly enjoyed the meat soup, the chicken breast, the smoked lamb, and the lamb steaks.

The fact that we went there 3 times during a 4 day stay in Mossfellsbaer speaks for itself.