“Great first experience on a horse!” 5 of 5 bubbles

$111.01*
and up
Icelandic Horse Riding
More attraction details
Owner description: Laxnes Horse Farm is a family run business and the oldest tour operator in Iceland. Founded in 1968, the farm offers horseback riding tours all year round for travelers interested in the gentle Icelandic horse.
Singapore
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great first experience on a horse!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's my first time on a horse and the staff at Laxnes made sure I got a horse who'd take good care of me. Icelandic horses are naturally very docile, or so I'm told, it didn't take long for me to get the hold of things even though there wasn't much of a briefing (It's quite fun figuring things out along the way actually).

The route we rode on was absolutely stunning, complete with mountains and fields full of Alaskan Lupines. The owners and staff at the farm were busy but friendly. Most importantly, you'll love the horses!

• Finnish first
Saint Sauveur des Monts, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Little attention for beginner riders”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My inexperienced friend and I went for a ride and I was disappointed for her. She was given zero instruction and it did not help when the horses spooked at the beginning of the ride and someone was thrown. There were away too many riders and too few guides who made no effort to help the less experienced riders. There was never a warning when we started to tolt unlike at other places. Finally at the break my friend spoke up and insisted someone help her and one of the guides accompanied her most of the way so she finished with a big smile on her face but in the future I would be more inclined to bring a beginner to Ishestar which provided a lot more instruction throughout the entire ride.

4 Thank jtmh89
Indianola, Washington
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great for new or experienced riders”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My visit to Iceland was primarily to ride the Icelandic horses, and Laxnes Horse Farm came through with a marvelous experience. Horses were a part of my youth and I seek out places to ride when researching travel destinations. Iceland in general is a great place to ride as horses are a part of the culture and the Icelandic horses have a gait unique to them. I spent the day at the Laxnes Farm, riding in the morning to the upper hills behind the farm. In the afternoon we rode along a stream to a small waterfall on great paths dedicated to riding. Both rides offered wonderful vistas and both trails were different. They are equipped with any riding gear you may need for any weather condition. All horses are very much like beloved family members to the Laxnes family and they know each horse's temperament and gait very well. If I could have stayed longer, I would have.

1 Thank patty1sue
Lakeville, Minnesota
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Amazing beginner ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife, 11-year old son, and I took the Laxnes Special ride this morning, and it was excellent. We were picked up at our hotel right on time and taken directly to the farm. There the staff helped us with helmets and offered us any warm clothing we wanted. We then went out to the horse paddock, where the staff asked each of us about out experience with horses. They used this information to select a horse for each of us, and all of their choices were spot on. My horse was large and strong, while my son got a young horse that was more quiet and calm. The ride, which took about 2 hours, was through very scenic countryside and led us along streams, by a small lake, through grasslands, andup and down small hills. Many small mountains were visible at all timed. The terrain was beautiful. The ride was usually slow and steady, but we had many opportunities to get the horses running. In fact, after a short break, the leaders broke the group into those who wanted to go fast and those who preferred to go slowly. My rear end chose the slow option for me, but those with more riding experience opted to gallop back. For riders with limited experience, like me, it was perfect. For those who have ridden more, the chance to ride the beautiful Icelandic horse is too good to pass up.

This was a great time, and was the best experience we've had in Iceland yet. Highly recommended.

shepherdstown wv
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“For the beginner, and everyone else!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was told by my guide at Sterna that Laxnas was the place to ride. So on a dreary Sunday during my stay, I ventured out to the farm. It is family owned and run, and I was outfitted with rain gear (even though it wasn't yet raining). The staff gathered and saddled the horses, checked your riding ability to match you with a horse, and after some safety rules, we were off. I have ridden from the mountains of NZ thru the Andes, and the back roads of Europe, and this ride did not disappoint! It was nicely paced (I am much older now, and not so inclined to go galloping off into the sunset) but the guides took time to acclimate me to the amazing strides of the Iceland Horse, and help me thru the gaits. When we (the horse and I) were in sync, it was a fabulous experience - the gait as smooth as a rocking horse. and the route we travelled encompassed some easy trails, progressing to steeper ones well into the back hills on Iceland, ending at one of the many waterfalls! There was a welcome break, and then a bit harder ride back to the farm, where the horses practiced their smooth trot as much as possible, I cannot say enough about the caring and competent staff, well trained horses, and scenic ride that Laxnas provided.