“Wonderful experience even for a novice”
Review of Laxnes Horse Farm

$216.41*
and up
Horseback Riding Day Tour at Laxnes Farm from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Laxnes Horse Farm is a family run business and the oldest tour operator in Iceland. Founded in 1968, the farm offers horseback riding tours all year round for travelers interested in the gentle Icelandic horse.
East Yorkshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience even for a novice”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We booked horse riding tours via grayline tours before leaving home. The pick up was prompt and on arrival at Laxnes farm we were asked about our relevant experience. We were fitted with hard hats and paired with a horse to match our riding skill or not in my case. The horse were lovely placid and sure footed. With 2 guides to only 4 guests we spent a thoroughly enjoyable 90 mins or so trekking across the local beautiful landscape. We were lucky with the weather and had a wonderful time. I even managed fast trot and canter ! It was the highlight of my trip to Iceland and would highly recommend.

• Finnish first
Baltimore, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nothing like a geat afternoon ride on an Icelandic horse at Laxnes”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This may have been the highlight of the trip for my family and we did a lot of cool things. After riding for about a half an hour they split our group into two, those that wanted to proceed at a leisurely pace and those that wanted to go fast. My wife and I chose the former; the almost adult kids wanted to fly. The slower group went fast enough for me! What a beautiful ride through the Icelandic countryside; we just soaked it all in. Reasonably priced for over 90 minutes on the trails and they also pick you up and drop you off at the hotel so that was a big plus for those of us without a car. After riding was done the owners treated us to hot or cold drinks and pastries. A very nice and appreciated touch.

Visited August 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A real must do”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This farm is a real gem - we went on a two hour ride into the gorgeous countryside surrounding the farm and it was perfect: the ponies were superb, the sun was shining and the scenery was unbelievable. I used to own horses and so was given a pony they called "fun", which I thought might mean "high maintenance" but she was in fact an amazing little pony (and, as promised, lots of fun). My friend had only riden three or four times before and they gave her a gorgeous chilled out pony, very well behaved even in acres of open countryside. I would have done this ride every day of our trip had I known about it! The owners of the farm are lovely and I can't recommend this place highly enough. They give you boots etc if you don't have riding gear and have wet weather gear if the weather isn't so great. We loved this farm, the ponies and the ride!

Visited August 2011
Brooklyn, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most amazing, authentic experience!”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Wow, I'm such a cynic that when we arrived in Iceland I thought, "Gawd, I'm going to be sucked up by one of those tourist-industrial-horse-riding complexes." I couldn't have been more wrong. This is the real deal folks. Of the three big ones (you know which ones I mean) this was the closest to Reykjavik, yet totally in the countryside. Not lava fields but meadows, with a bubbling brook, home-made soup (pay the 700ISK, it's so worth it) and the coolest, funniest family this side of Hollywood. Kind of an Icelandic "Bonanza"! My 7-year old had a blast (first time riding) and I was allowed to go ahead with the experience group and gallop all the way home. That was a thrill, but I'm glad it was followed by the Blue Lagoon because these old muscles sure needed a soak. A wonderful experience and we will be going back.

Visited July 2011
Singapore, Singapore
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL -- Never Picked us up and then blamed US!”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

One star is too many for this place. If I could give a negative star, I would. My husband and I booked this trip through the Tourist Information Office right around the corner from our hotel. We were told to be outside waiting at 1. We were outside at 12:55. When 2 o'clock rolled around and we were still on the street corner, I went back to the information booth. The worker there called them up. After talking to them for about 5 minutes, he handed the phone over to me, at which point, the guy from the horse farm YELLED AT ME! He said we were not on the corner, which I politely told him we were, even describing what I was wearing and what I looked like. He told me I was lying and that "it was my fault" that we weren't picked up. He went on to say that I should have waved HIM down -- how was I supposed to know what his van would look like? Finally, I just told him I was getting my money refunded and hung up -- he was still yelling at me telling me it was my fault. Rudest people ever. I travel a lot and have never experienced anything like this. You're better off going with a different company.

Visited April 2011
7 Thank twaterwoman
Laxi2610, Manager at Laxnes Horse Farm, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Hi,

We were supposed to pick you up at K apartments. The bus was at your locaction on time and waited for 10 minutes. The bus is marked with giant letters that say "Laxnes Horse Farm" and pictures of horses making it fairly obvious.

I´m sorry you missed us but we have other people to take care of as well and can´t wait at places all day. We get "no-show" passengers all the time but seeing as we make our living taking people out riding we do our best to find them.

Ultimately though it´s up to the passenger to show up.

Best regards,