So, before I get into the full review... there are a few things you should know...
1) This is NOT a Hilton, Marriott, Four Seasons, etc... So don't expect it
2) The hotel is NOT in the City Center of Reykjavik... So be prepared to take the bus or rent a car
3) If you want a reasonably priced place to stay for you and your family, and you want your own bathroom... this is a GREAT option.
We stayed here for 4 nights in early August... We are Hilton Honors members, but were turned off by the insane prices at the Hilton Nordica. As such, we decided to get creative and we selected this property based on the rate (about $245 USD per night) and their ability to accomodate our family 4, with each of our children receiving their own bed. We also wanted a private bathroom. Finding these types of accomodations is not easy (if even possible) within the City Center area of Reykjavik.
The Hotel Laxnes is approximately 1:15 from KEF International Airport... Note that the Reykjavik area has 2 airports. The actual Reykjavik airport is quite small and it is not likely you'll be flying in there (though note that it is only about 15 - 20 minutes from the Hotel Laxnes). Based on the recommendation from the hotel, we booked transportation through Iceland Excursions. They picked us up at KEF in a large bus (with other travelers), then drove us into the City Center (about 40 - 50 minutes from KEF), and then transferred us to a shuttle van and brought us to the hotel (about 15 - 20 minutes further to the north).
Our room was clean, but very small. There was no phone, and no seating other than 1 desk chair.
There is a KFC and a Dominos within walking distance. And, there is a small artisan village about 10 minutes away, with a cafe, and the hotel staff can direct you there. It's definitely worth having a meal there one night as it is different than anything you will experience in City Center. Be sure to walk around the back side of the building after your meal, to take a look at the waterfall behind it.
We did not leverage any of the tours that the hotel helped coordinate... though we regret not looking at the options for the Laxnes Horse Farm. We booked all of our tours through Viator, and they picked us up from the hotel each morning. We elected to turn down the complimentary return shuttle that came with those tours each day, and took the bus back to the hotel instead, which allowed us more time to walk around the City Center. The bus is quite reasonably priced... but note that you need kroners in order to ride. Don't worry if you don't have any kroners... you can walk to the Tourist/office store (right up the street from the black Iceland Adventures office/station) and you can buy something with USD, and they'll give you change in kroners, which you can then use for the bus.
All in all... if you are traveling on a budget or want to try something unique... I definitely recommend the Hotel Laxnes. We would absolutely consider staying again if we were to return to Reykjavik.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BEAUTIFUL COUNTRYSIDE RETREAT MINUTES AWAY FROM THE CITY CENTER OF REYKJAVIK.Hotel Laxnes is overlooking Mountain Esja and located opposite a river,we offer the best of both worlds. Great for Hiking and seeing the Northernlights.Our Village is like stepping back in time into a fairytale world !10 mins from Reykjavik City!We are next to rivers,waterfalls,mountains,sea ,a beautiful lake and close to Reykjavik city !The Hotel Laxnes is a modern country style hotel lodge with a mountain view in the greater Reykjavik in Mosfellsbaer close to the country and near to the City ! Only within a 10 minute drive into the Reykjavik city centre offering a country feeling to it, located close to the Alafoss Viking Wool store, Laxnes horse riding, a Golf course, a fishing lake and on route to the famous Golden Circle trip. On-site parking is free for guests.Why stay in the city centre if you can experience both country and city life staying at the laxnes Hotel.We offer both Car and Mountain bike rental at great prices ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Laxnes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Laxnes Iceland/Mosfellsbaer, Reykjavik