All reviews nice hotel jr line great location minute walk train station rooms are small family mart other hotels an early flight hotel room mini fridge your luggage the hotel staff double room recommend this hotel one person standard pillows
Selected filters
Reviewed May 19, 2018

I stayed here during the peak travel season of Golden Week. The hotel is literally located right next to the Nippori Station, which is a short train ride away from Ueno and Tokyo Stations. The location is good for the directionally challenged--there's really no way you can get lost while walking to the hotel. The hotel is really easy to spot too. The area is nice with a handful of nearby restaurants and a Family Mart convenience store.

The proximity to the station has a downside: It is noisy. I could hear the trains and even the train announcements from my room. It did not interfere with my sleep because I think the trains stopped later at night, but if you like to sleep early I could see that this may be an issue.

The size of the room is not an issue for me as that's the way most hotel rooms are in Japan. The single room is a good size for one person with a small suitcase. But people with large suitcases may have some trouble with the small space. The room has a mini fridge, a good sized flatscreen TV, PJs, etc. You can control the AC temperature settings right from your bedside.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2018

We stayed at this hotel for one night as a last minute arrangement after our flight to Osaka was cancelled but our airline got us onto the British Airways flight to Narita instead.

I stayed once before at an APA Hotel in Hamamatsu, but here the 'eki mae' (in front of the station) part of the name was more apt, as it was only a short walk from the station. Despite us arriving just 10 minutes before the official check in time, we had the choice either to wait or to leave our luggage in reception. Needless to say, reception was full of other guests' luggage as well, which looked very confused and messy! Room small (as it was in Hamamatsu) and the rather ornate, lush styling of the hotel is a bit overpowering. The bath was a bit bigger than many hotel baths. Room overlooked the railway and I couldn't figure out the aircon, so it was a bit stuffy. Didn't have breakfast as we had an early start. Pillow was very flat.

The thing you need to know about before deciding to stay in this hotel is the owners' political views, which may put you off. We needed a last minute booking near the station and, to be honest, although I'd stayed one night in another APA hotel previously, I didn't know about Toshio Motoya's extremist views.

There is a bookshelf/magazine rack in each room, with books in Japanese. I picked one out from curiosity and, when I turned it over, there was an English translation (not very well done and not very readable), but I started to get the gist that the author, Seiji Fuji, had right wing views, and revisionist attitude to things like the Nanking Massacre, so called 'comfort women' and other aspects of WWII.

I wondered what this stuff was doing in a hotel room, so I Googled the author. It turned out that Seiji Fuji is the pseudonym of the hotel owner Toshio Motoya.One of the books 'Theoretical Modern History: The Real History of Japan' he explains his belief that the Nanking Massacre and comfort women were falsehoods created by China and Korea. In addition, he discussed attracting millions of tourists from countries like China and Korea, and said he "will provide support to the maximum degree" to the Abe administration which can be used against China and Korea on these historical issues. Some Chinese tourist organizations are boycotting the chain. He is anti Semitic too, claiming that 'Jewish Capital' is behind American wars. Fumiko Motoya, his wife, is very much the public face of the hotel. Google both of them and draw your own conclusions.

Quite simply, we would not stay at this hotel again because of finding this extremist, revisionist and fascist literature provided as reading matter in the hotel room.

Room tip: Even the non smoking rooms smell of smoke!
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank work_nomad
Reviewed April 17, 2018 via mobile

Location is good and near to Nippori Station where you can connect to all tourist place of intetest with ease. Hotel is clean and have up to date facilities. Wifi is very good and stable. Very suitable place to stay for your Japan trip.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel near Nappori station direct train to and from Narrita airport. Lots restaurant taxi and bus stands lots of family marts and seven eleven. Rooms are very small as compare to European standard, same Japanese breakfast every morning. I stayed twice in the same hotel during my holidays because i booked before left london secondly no room available in any hotel near the station.Two people in the room hardly move around.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2018 via mobile

Very small room but still ok for Japan standard. We brought 1 big luggage and 1 small are still able be accommodated. Location is great, reachable by train from Narita as well as JR line. The hotel is short walking distance to Nippori station. Many shops and restaurant near by and for us, near also to halal food restaurant. The hotel staff are amazingly nice and helpful. Definitely will use another APA group of hotel based on this experience.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple