“Wonderfull Japan”

and up
Nighttime Local Food and Drink Tour in Asakusa
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Asakusa
Reviewed September 23, 2018

It's very difficult to say what more beatifull or important shrine in Tokyo. Asakusa Shrine is one of them. You must to visit!

Date of experience: August 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)
All reviews
"coins"
"prayer"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

Small shrine, close to the temple worth a visit if nearby. Some interesting pained glass lamps with traditional and modern Japanese art.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

This place made me feel like I was entering another galaxy or at least another time zone... absolutely amazing!
Don’t miss it while in Tokyo.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank sonjaz425
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Surrounded by a good market for souvenirs and Japanese snacks, this temple is very large and central. It’s a big tourist attraction, so it’s packed, but definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area.

Date of experience: July 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed July 15, 2018

I'll preface this review by stating that this is an alternative, of sorts, to the majority of reviews you'll read on this part of town. I'm not a big fan of temples and shrines in general. I don't find them to be either spiritually enlightening or all that interesting. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all imo. That being said, I'm not immune to the allures of well-known tourist destinations which is why I ended up going to Asakusa and the shrine area. When in Tokyo...

I think my biggest issue with this area is the fact that it's just swamped with tourists. I realize the irony of being a tourist myself and then complaining about my fellow overseas travelers. The problem arises when you realize that everything in the immediate area is catering to the tourist, giving the whole scene a real "theme park" vibe. Prices are overblown and the general wares up for sale are pretty generic and are of poor quality. The locals see you coming a mile away, if you get my drift. That's what happens when a spot blows up and becomes a "must see" destination. I really think you can get better quality goods and snacks by exploring the less congested side streets.

If you don't mind bumping into people constantly and getting overcharged for cheap goods, then by all means pay the area a visit. I get that this is a must-see destination for many travelers. Sure, taking photos of the iconic Kaminarimon will make for more complete visit and sure looks sharp on your camera roll. Keep in mind however that there will be non-stop people stopping in front of it, holding up their best V for victory pose and photo-bombing every shot you take. Just par for the course. When all is said and done, you can at least say, "hey, I was there," but for me, once was most certainly enough.

Date of experience: March 2018