“Full on Fugu experience”

Torafugutei, Shinjuku Annex
Ranked #44 of 1,736 Restaurants in Kabukicho
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku / Nakano / Suginami
Description: Highly skilled chef prepares "puffer fish." a unique ingredient only used in Japan.You can enjoy tiger puffer fish, the best of all puffer fish, at a reasonable price. A Japanese restaurant that features "puffer fish cuisine" that is unique to Japan.We use only the highest quality domestic tiger puffer fish caught or cultured in Japan.Enjoy completely safe and delicious puffer fish items prepared by highly experienced chefs. Course meals that include puffer fish hot pot are the most popular menus.Fresh puffer fish sashimi and freshly prepared deep fried puffer fish are especially popular among foreign guests. You can enjoy tiger puffer fish that is considered a highly luxurious ingredient all year round at a reasonable price.
Reviewed June 13, 2019

Boyfriend and I got here late in the evening and we were seated right away. Loved the experience as they put you into separate rooms that had a Japanese cultural feel to it. We order the course, which was about $65 USD/person. It came with Sashimi, fried pieces, and the rest for soup. The experience overall was great, and we didnt even realize when we were full as we got up they had even more! We were too tired and full to eat anymore so a bit bummed we didnt get to try it all. I must warn you, it is VERY fresh. The fish was still moving as we were putting it into the soup broth. Overall a great experience if you want to try Fugu. Expensive but well worth it.

Date of visit: April 2019
Write a reviewReviews (40)

Reviewed April 26, 2018 via mobile

It is a small restaurant within walking distance from Shinjuku station serving Fugu. If you go during lunch, there are lunch set menu that are quite reasonably priced with fugu sashimi.

The sashimi is the best way to experience fugu for first timers who are curious how the fish taste like. You are seared in little rooms with tatami sears which gives you the traditional vibe.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 11, 2018 via mobile

Like many tourists i was wanting to try Fugu and had a hard time trying to find somewhere that felt authentic while also remainig reasonably priced. Thankfully I ended up here. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the food was good enough to stand on its own merits once the novelty of eating Fugu wore off.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 23, 2016

We chose the tiger blowfish course, which included skin & scallion starter, some deep fried (kara-age), a plate of sashimi, fugu nabe with fish on the bone, then strips of fish flesh, vegetables, okayu (rice and egg porridge) cooked in the broth from the boiling pot, pickles and dessert.
For my money the best style of fugu is sashimi because you can get the delicate taste. But all aspects of the dishes were very good, including the intriguing nabe which comes in a lined wicker basket which rests on the table's induction hob.
We found the service a little slow when we asked for water and the rice, but then apologetic and friendly enough.

Date of visit: March 2016
2  Thank John B
Reviewed January 27, 2016

It took some convincing to get my wife to come with me to eat fugu but she relented and maybe enjoyed it more than I did. Thank goodness she came with me as she is fluent in Japanese which was required. I did not see an English menu regardless of what they say. Plus as they served us our meal she had to interpret what they said to us.
We had the great fortune of being seated at a little bar like area with the chefs right in front of us and if you looked thru the curtained off area you could watch them kill and cut up the fresh fish from the live fish tanks in the restaurant. Slightly gross but VERY entertaining..We chose a complete dinner consisting of the sashimi, fried, and then cooked fish. The fish were brought out on a platter and were still moving after being cut up so if you are squeamish do not look. You cook the fish yourself at a little induction burner in front of you. Watching the chefs finely cut the fish for the sashimi (raw) fish to such thin slices makes you want to steal their knives. It tasted great wrapped in a scallion stem and dipped in ponzu sauce. I thought the deep fried fugu was a lot like deep fired walleye pike and the salad made with the finely cut fugu skin was also good. I the main meal where you cooked the fugu in the seasoned broth was also very good but we were somewhat confused as to the length of time to cook it (about 5 - 6 minutes seemed to work best) finally they took the broth after cooking the fish and veggies and made a egg and rice dish. Kind like a rice filled egg drop soup.
I would definitely do this again and amazingly my wife would also like to do it. I cost about $100 ea but for the experience it was excellent. We did notice any tingling or any other odd side effects of eating fugu.
We also found the Google map to be misleading but it was an easy find from our Hotel the Gracery Shinjuku (about five blocks away). Be sure to make reservations we walked in and made them for the following night. I tried to phone in but it was too difficult making the reservation.

Date of visit: January 2016