1,695 results
All reviews south wing main building orchid bar mid century embassy area classic hotel james bond japanese service health club hibiya line impeccable service rooms are spacious business center japanese style quiet area hotel guests an excellent hotel
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Okura Main Wing 17th -22nd Feb on business. The Okura was obviously a Grand Hotel in its day (I believe it was built in the sixties) but these days is looking a bit tired and in need of a makeover.
On the upside, the room was reasonably spacious and well equipped, although no sign of an ipod dock which you find as standard in the ANA Intercon or the Hyatt. My room on the 8th floor had a distinctly 'retro' feel to it with brown shades of decor and was nice and quiet.

The hotel has a main building and an annex (the south wing) which can be reached by an underground walkway. Sometimes a bit confusing when trying to get dropped by taxi.
Service was very good although the level of english of most of the staff I met was a bit marginal.
The breakfast restaurant I used (The Terrace) was really not big enough and there was a 5-10 minute waiting time for a table, not what you expect in a top end hotel.
Location is fairly central within 10 mins walk of a subway station(Kamiyacho). There's a 7-11 convience store with an ATM which accepts most foreign cards very close by(no ATM in the hotel). The hotel is on a hill so be ready for a bit of a climb on your way back if on foot. Very close to the US Embassy if you need it.

If you're looking for something a little old fashioned with a Japanese feel then the Okura is for you. If you want something modern and stylish then think again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back upper floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2014

They are friends who consider this hotel old-fashioned and boring. I put that down to ignorance of Japanese aesthetics, tradition and taste. As I am an admirer of the pared-down elegance and refinement which is so quintessentially Japanese, I consider the hotel one of the few Tokyo hotels still preserving and defending this tradition. It is an honourable and gallant effort to be supported.
I first stayed for a month in this hotel some 35 years ago, and each return has been a source of pleasure. My latest return last month, January 2014, was no exception. My weeklong stay allowed me to appreciate it even more, and to eat my way through its various restaurants. While not top-ranked, those restaurants offered excellent fare, from the sushi bar to the cafe-restaurant to its Highlander bar and teppanyaki cuisine. Having so many meals in the restaurants made the hotel even more of a temporary home for me, as though I was simp[ly eating in my own dining room.
It is a source of marvel to me that in an age where almost all 5-star hotels turn their lobbies into money-making tea-lounges ( neglecting, in the process, the in-house guests' need of a comfortable armchair in the public space ), the Okura has maintained its two spacious lobbies as oases of calm and comfort for the in-house guests and their friends. This represents a loss of revenue for the hotel, so kudos to the owneres and managers for respecting tradition and safeguarding the distinctive zen-like tranquillity of its open, public spaces.
My two suggestions are that it provide a second armchair in the room and offer a choice of pillows, including down ones.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 5_starhotellover88
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I liked the common areas, and the feeling that this was a special hotel, not just another business hotel. Service was good. But the room was really nothing special, and the general feeling was that it was jaded, and a bit over the hill. The breakfast was chaotic, with long waiting times.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank chrisskou
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Somehow we thought this place was a boutique hotel that was really close to the heart of Roppongi. Okay, so we got that wrong. The place is vast, so vast, it probably needs it's own postcode. We stayed in the South Wing, which is a significant way from the main building, so after arriving at the main entrance, there was a fair walk from there to our room. Nothing to complain about the room. Spacious, with a large bed and clean bathroom and plenty of amenities, though we did find it impossible to turn the air conditioning down to any form of cooling (even though it was winter, we preferred a cool room). The walls between the rooms are pretty thin, so we were able to hear some of the activities of other guests in adjoining rooms... We ate at one of the restaurants, Yamazato, one night, and have written a review separately, as we were not impressed. Breakfast wasn't included, so we did room service one morning, then the buffet in Camellia for the remainder. Both a decent spread, but of course, not cheap. The hotel was much further away from the Roppongi area than we expected, and there really wasn't much in the way of interesting cafés or restaurants nearby that we could find, so if we return, we'll be looking to stay somewhere smaller and closer to local amenities.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kateandross
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my time here. I had previously stayed in a more modern hotel in Tokyo, so the change was refreshing. The location of the hotel was good for getting to the official Japanese government areas and to visit Roppungi afterwards. The house bar was expensive, but very well stocked and quite nice. My drinks were strong but very tasty. I had a traditional working breakfast in one of the on site restaurants, I was glad I ordered the rice instead of the porridge, but quite happy overall with the entree I had. My room was nice, it overlooked the garden and was large (by Tokyo standards). Service was good, and although the bellmans English was not particularly good, we were well taken care of. I would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013