“What a wonderful experience”
Review of Ginza Ukai-Tei

Ginza Ukai-Tei
Reserve a Table
Ranked #2 of 1,192 Restaurants in Ginza
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Description: A hundred-year-old zelkova beam and a mosaic wall. The restaurant, with its array of Japanese and Western antique furniture, has an atmosphere where art-nouveau and Japanese style meet, and it is just like a museum. Not only does the counter feature a hot griddle arranged in a circle ? designed in the image of the deep sea ? but so do the private rooms, where your dedicated chef cooks in front of you.
Reviewed October 30, 2017

I just had my dinner at UkaiTei and I wanted to write my review while the memories are still fresh in my head.
The restaurant isn’t hard to find, once you are on the right street you really can’t miss it with the big fork and spoon statues on either side of the main entrance. As I was approaching the front door, a lady was already there to greet me. I was ushered into a waiting room while they took care of my coat, then within seconds was seated.
The ambience is quite old school, but it felt cosy. Not stuffy like a lot of high end places. The clientele and how they were dressed was varied as well, from casual to quite formal to some that were a little, shall I say, flamboyant!
My drink and food order was taken very quickly. Then journey began… I ordered the “Special Course”, which is the seasonal menu and the most expensive of their set dinners.
My chef was friendly and engaging. He appreciated my strangled attempts at Japanese. The first course was a carpaccio of flounder with caviar. It light and clean and a good starter to warm up the taste buds. Second course was an ox tongue with mushrooms. This was sensational, I’ve had tongue before and can be a little bit tricky if not done right. This was tender but had a bite to it and the sauce it was cooked in was just delicious.
Then came the lobster in a lemon butter. The lobster was cooked rare and the sauce was very mild and delicate so as not to overpower the natural sweetness. Tender, juicy and extremely fresh.
The next course was a salt baked abalone in a seaweed butter. Abalone is another tricky one as if it is cooked wrong can be like eating rubber. But this was done beautifully. Also you are provided with 2 pieces of crusty bread to mop up the sauce from the lobster and the abalone.
Then came the pièce de résistance, the steak. It is was Grade 5 Wagyu, not the highest grade, but was plenty marbled. I opted for medium rare. It was served with a red onion salad with some dressing (I think it was ponzu). There was also wasabi mustard and black pepper for the steak. The steak was buttery, juicy and tender. Extremely beefy and really did not need much in the way of condiments. My only complaint was that I wish it was a bigger piece!
The final course before dessert was a claypot beef and mushroom rice with pickles and miso soup. The rice was very creamy and packed with flavour. I’m a huge miso soup fan. This one was the most intense I’ve actually had in a restaurant. It had a smoky flavour and was just screaming umami.
After you are done with the savoury part of the meal, you are guided to the next room for dessert. Dessert and coffee comes with the meal and you can choose from 4 options. I had the Japanese chestnut dessert. I’m not a huge dessert person but this was interesting. It was a small scoop of ice cream smothered in a chestnut paste spaghetti with some whole chestnuts in it. After I was done with that, a lady came by and served a plate of petit fours. By this stage I was extremely full so I had to give that a miss. They looked good though. One was a raspberry macaron, there was some shortbread in there and a green tea chocolate.
All in all a superb meal and a real experience, but let me just say that the service in this restaurant is impeccable. The staff are all extremely friendly. Some spoke English, others not so much, but I did have fun trying to converse in my extremely broken Japanese. You pretty much feel like you are being served by everyone who works there. I was a solo diner and at no stage did I feel awkward or out of place as some other high end restaurants make you feel, neither was I forgotten about as often happens at other places. The staff were just terrific. After I paid the bill, I was given a farewell outside by no less than 4 people.
Bottom line, it isn’t a cheap dinner but it was worth it.

1  Thank TravellingLuv

Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

This was my 4th time visiting this restaurant, both for lunch and dinner. I visited them every time when I was in Tokyo. It was their delicious food, hospitality, and after all, their free flow desserts that kept me going there again and again. Though it is a little expensive, it is definitely worths the money. You won't be disappointed. For those who want to pay a little less, go there for lunch. A reservation is recommended.

1  Thank RaymondL23
Reviewed October 24, 2017

We were very impressed as soon as we walked into this restaurant and not just because of the very welcoming reception that we were given on arrival. The decor is simply stunning as is every plate, utensil and glass! The ambience is perfect and the service spot on. A young waiter called Takumi knew everything about the place and the menu as well as providing service that was high even by top-end Tokyo restaurant standards. It was my wife's birthday and she was made to feel very special indeed. Engaging with and watching the chefs cook in front of us added to an already perfect occasion. We expect high standards when we go to a top end restaurant and more often than not we find one or two shortcomings wherever we go. Not here. It was faultless and I haven't even mentioned the food yet. Thoroughly deserving of its 2 Michelin stars. No foam/smoke/petals/fairy dust etc etc on dishes that some Michelin starred places seem to think is necessary. Just proper food that looks and tastes amazing. As I said earlier, it was probably our best meal in Japan

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

We had our dinner at Ukaiteh. We are blown off by their kitchen skills, the fresh food ingredients and the chef presentation. A must go for all teppanyaki lovers, end the dish with Their in-house sake!

Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

The service was impeccable and flawless. The ambience is truly modern with a Japanese flair. The food is up to the expectation for a Michelin starred restaurant.

The overall experience is amazing and delightful.

Date of visit: September 2017

Been to Ginza Ukai-Tei? Share your experiences!