Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Kabukiza Theater
Kabuki Tour
2 Reviews
from $205.85
from $65.50
from $121.64
from $66.67
More Info
All reviews japanese culture cultural experience buy a ticket in advance english translation box office second act bento box wait in line audio guide day ticket credit card entire show their website non japanese speakers different story traditional theatre
Selected filters
Reviewed March 25, 2019

Despite some trepidation (having never seen kabuki before), we ordered tickets for a full matinee performance and thoroughly enjoyed every act. What an incredible experience!

I will admit that I splurged for box seats. Having tea provided and being able to use a table to eat our bento boxes certainly added to our enjoyment of the show. I chose box seats on the west side, closer to the hanamichi (the walkway stage). While this resulted in us occasionally seeing a performer's back and/or being briefly blinded by a spotlight, it was great to be so close to this feature.

I highly recommend renting the subtitle device because it can be difficult to interpret what's going on otherwise.

1  Thank cazbeckett
Reviewed March 20, 2019

A complete surprise, I wandered into the Kabukiza Theater in search of the teahouse it contains, and ended up enraptured. I opted for the museum tour w/ English audio + 3-minute performance, which gives a remarkably good introduction to, as well as an appreciation for the form and what I was about to see, and found the 3-minute viewing tantalizingly brief. Tip: Tickets for single acts are available on a daily basis.

Reviewed March 18, 2019

If you really want to experience some Japanese culture then you need to see some Japanese theater. This is a great place to do that. Most performances will have 3 acts. Each act will deal with a different plot. In other words they are not 3 acts of the same play. It was just like you would expect - lavish costumes, makeup, and diction. We sat in the 1st tier level and it was close enough. The subtitle translator that is available is worth the money. Without it the action is just a visual experience. With it you can follow the story and understand the expressions of emotion. This is not for everyone. My wife left after the 1st act. You do have the option of buying a one-act ticket but it cannot be reserved or purchased in advance. One other benefit of this theater is that it is right off a metro line.

1  Thank micoma56
Reviewed March 11, 2019

The service inside is great. Saw 3 plays and it was really fascinating! You can get a translator inside, which, I would say, is worth getting if you want to stay in the loop.

Date of experience: February 2019
1  Thank rycka1112
Reviewed March 5, 2019

Very easy to get tickets (at least when we went in early March). Got in line about 20-30 min early for the 11am show. Just wanted to experience it to see about this long-standing tradition. It was quite entertaining. We only did the first act (1 h the day we went, it varies). It was only around $12 and it was a good time. The translation machine you get (good enough for two people) was perfect. It told the story of what was going on. Without that, it would have been pretty painful. With that translation, I found it very interesting and a great way to spend a couple of hours (did the same day ticket so you have to stand in line about 30-40 minutes to ensure you will get in, plus the show).

1  Thank BoardingPass493550