Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Kabukiza Theater
Kabuki Tour
2 Reviews
from $205.46
from $65.37
from $121.41
from $66.54
More Info
All reviews japanese culture cultural experience buy a ticket in advance english translation box office second act bento box wait in line audio guide day ticket credit card entire show their website non japanese speakers different story traditional theatre
Selected filters
Reviewed March 11, 2019

The service inside is great. Saw 3 plays and it was really fascinating! You can get a translator inside, which, I would say, is worth getting if you want to stay in the loop.

Date of experience: February 2019
1  Thank rycka1112
Reviewed March 5, 2019

Very easy to get tickets (at least when we went in early March). Got in line about 20-30 min early for the 11am show. Just wanted to experience it to see about this long-standing tradition. It was quite entertaining. We only did the first act (1 h the day we went, it varies). It was only around $12 and it was a good time. The translation machine you get (good enough for two people) was perfect. It told the story of what was going on. Without that, it would have been pretty painful. With that translation, I found it very interesting and a great way to spend a couple of hours (did the same day ticket so you have to stand in line about 30-40 minutes to ensure you will get in, plus the show).

Date of experience: March 2019
1  Thank BoardingPass493550
Reviewed February 21, 2019

Good experience for Japanese theater and culture. My only regret is not renting the translator. I purchased a single act and wish I had more time for the other 2.
Hearing the audience screaming and encouraging the actors catches you off guard at 1st but it becomes fun with intense stage moments.
In the Single act area seats there is almost no leg room btw. I'm 6'4" and had trouble sitting comfortably. Definitely happy I went though.

Date of experience: February 2019
1  Thank Angel G
Reviewed January 24, 2019 via mobile

Although the 11:00 show was very long (4 and a half hours) there were ample intermissions between the performances to walk around, eat something or do some souvenir shopping. I suppose if you weren’t interested you could leave after two or three of the performances.
I found the performances very interesting because I could follow everything on the subtitle machine I rented for 1,000 yen. It even included background information.
The building is new. It is very clean. The restrooms are very easy to use and clean.
I bought my tickets online. I had to get the tickets at the door outside the theater and there were staff outside the theater that could help when I had a problem.
Really very enjoyable. Looking forward to attending next month’s show.

Date of experience: January 2019
3  Thank K8082KVmichellem
Reviewed December 8, 2018

The theater is an excellent glimpse into the past...one can opt for an audio guide to understand ...as it is in Japanese language..However, the catch is in getting the tickets..if one has to see only one act of the play....the tickets are few and get sold off very early...

Date of experience: July 2018