All reviews value for money one night shinkansen works exit jr kokura station japan
Reviewed March 20, 2017

First, thanks to previous reviewers and their photos, I realized the possibility of seeing shinkansen all times of the day and so included a request in my booking to face south in the hope of catching especially the Kodama eva. I wasn't told this at check in but when I entered my room I realized I had the corner suite on the top floor, which was an upgraded room from the one I chose at booking time. Nice!

Check in was a breeze and the service is on par with that of Richmond. The room itself is very new, modern, nicely accented, and makes good use of the small amount of space. The lighting fixtures, placement, and temperature are noticeably better than most budget hotels I've stayed in in Japan, which meant relaxing evenings at the desk. Honestly, it was a just a little bit difficult to drag myself out to attend to my planned activities.

One reviewer mentioned the lack of blackout shades. My room had such shades, so maybe this was an update.

For the price I paid (200USD for 4 nights), what I got was substantially more luxurious than what I was expecting.

Room tip: Shinkansen views in south-east rooms
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2016 via mobile

stayed there with my wife to visit an important seminar. it was an efficient hotel (japanesse typically), clean, equipped with their high quality amenities, wifi, great service, nice situated as very close to the station kokura (easy to access jr train or even shinkansen), to bus stop, shoping mal.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 830ridwank
Reviewed April 25, 2016

- excellent staff with good attitude, adequate English, and always helpful
- relatively spacious single room with well -maintained facilities.
- close to JR station and shopping mall. 15min walk to kokura station.
- good free breakfast

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank singdong
Reviewed March 15, 2016

When you get off the train at the JR Kokura Station, take the north exit,once outside the building, turn left.....down the escalator.... the hotel is right in front of you on the same side of the street.. I paid approx. $41.00US/night (including taxes) using Booking.com, reserving 3 months in advance for a single room....the price included the breakfast buffet. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The internet seemed fast. A refrigerator, kettle and tea, are supplied. (no safe in room). Staff were very friendly and helpfull. The breakfast buffet (served 7 to 9am) was good. They let me check in at 1pm, 2 hours ahead of time which was fantastic. , The AC/Heater...instructions are in Japanese only, so they came up and showed me how to set it. The location is excellent, with the train station right there, with many stores, restaurants and a supermarket.The hallways get very noisy after 9am, from cleaners...which is not normal for Japanese hotels.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank travelling2day
Reviewed June 11, 2015

I stayed at the JR Kyushu Hotel Kokura for just one night, but I still recall it as setting the bar for a business hotel. In this sector, you don't expect any frills, but you do want the basics done well. And this place does just that. Importantly, it seems a pretty new hotel, so it is very clean, nicely designed - none of the lurid bedspreads of the Tohoko Inns - and everything works.

Enough English was spoke by the reception staff, and although there is no wifi, they offered a small wifi router at no charge to enable online for my mobile devices. It is super close to the station - another plus - though you might want to walk a bit further afield for something to eat.

The one negative I had was that the windows only have a venetian blind over them, so it was difficult to keep the sun out in the early morning - and anyone familiar with Japan will know that the sun often rises prior to 5am. So some blockout window coverings would be welcome - though I was quite enamoured with the view out over the Kokura shinkansen station, where I could watch the trains pulling in and out.

Breakfast was ok, the usual Japanese business hotel stuff. The lady who ran the breakfast room was smiley and efficient, although we didn't speak the same lingo.

Overall, this is the sort of pleasant, efficient experience that a business hotel should offer, and good value for money.

Date of stay: June 2015