Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental (Osaka)
Open today: 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Review Highlights
One of the best experiences I had when staying in Japan.

Amazing experience of cycling with Ian. You get to know the city a bit when cycling. Being able to... read more

Reviewed January 2, 2020
ericwC8163SR
Houston, Texas
via mobile
Kyoto --> Osaka feat. Globalwheel

From the moment we arrived in Kyoto where Ian greeted us with coffee to our final destination and... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2019
Aoife G
County Dublin, Ireland

All reviews road bike repair kit biking tour route kyoto gareth helmets kobe bikes japan petals cyclists ride organisation ferry river station
Selected filters
Reviewed November 23, 2018

I can’t recommend Global wheels strongly enough.

I rented a touring bike from them for a week in late November. Gareth, the proprietor, was really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. He gave me some great tips for warmup routes around Osaka, as well as a couple of longer routes between Asuka and Kyoto, and from Kyoto around Lake Biwa.

Traveling around Japan on a bike really is a great way to see the country. For me, the autumn colors were spectacular, and moving at a slower pace than the Shinkansen made them all the more impressive.

There are plenty of interesting places to visit within biking distance of Osaka. I had time to visit Minoh falls and the nearby Katsuoji Temple, the ruins, restorations and park at Nara, the Philosophers’ path and the old imperial palace in Kyoto, and the spectacular Lake Biwa.

The bike itself was fantastic. It was a joy to ride. Global wheels provided all the extra kit I needed to haul my luggage around as well as an emergency repair kit and the essential helmet and water bottle!

Japan is a beautiful country and the Japanese people are friendly, welcoming and helpful. I have no regrets whatsoever about deciding to go on my biking tour. I only wish it could have lasted longer.

My thanks to Gareth, Ian and everyone at Global Wheels!

Date of experience: November 2018
Globalwheelsroadbike, General Manager at Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental (Osaka), responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2018

Many thanks for riding with us and taking the time to recommend Globalwheels.
Your kind words are really appreciated.
Glad to hear you had a good time in the saddle exploring Kansai.

Kindest Regards
Team GW

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

From when we started emailing with Global Wheels about a bike trip through the Wakayama Prefecture I knew we were in good hands. Great bikes, great knowledge, great support (which we needed:) and genuinely a nice organization. If you are planning on riding bikes in Japan use Global Wheels, you won’t regret it. Thanks fellas!

Date of experience: September 2018
Globalwheelsroadbike, General Manager at Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental (Osaka), responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to review and also for choosing Globalwheels. We’re really happy you two enjoyed discovering Japan by bike. If you ever come back, please get in touch! Team GW.

Reviewed August 29, 2018

We spent a two weeks lapse time with GlobalWheels's bikes. From the very beginning Ian and Gareth were very helpful: fixing and testing the bikes, changing the pedals(cause we had brought different ones), sharing some soda while we awaited, giving us tips of where to ride, what to see, what to eat, etc.
The bikes where also in mint condition, and they also gave us some spare tires in case we had a puncture, which actually happened as you can see in one of the pictures LOL
We rode from Osaka to Hiroshima, then took a ferry to Shinkoku (the best place we saw and which I absolutely recommend) and then back to Kobe with another ferry. The weather was too hot, so next time I think we'll change season!

It was a really good experience. It was also a relief not having to carry our bikes on the plane, build and dismantle them, etc. If we ever come back to Japan, for cycling purposes, we will definitely repeat!

Thanks and take care, guys!

Date of experience: August 2018
Globalwheelsroadbike, General Manager at Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental (Osaka), responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2018

Many thanks for riding with us and for taking the time to review and share your photos. We are glad you had a good time exploring Japan on two wheels. Hope to see you again in the future. Kindest Regards from Team GW.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

I wanted to explore the surrounding area of Kyoto with a road bike. After a lengthy online search for a place to rent road bikes in Kyoto I finally found Globalwheels in Osaka. They brought the bike to my Hotel in Kyoto and picked it up from there afterwards. They were generally very friendly, supportive and helpful. I'd definitely rent a bike from Globalwheels again if I'm in Kansai area.

If you are in Kyoto and want to take a mountainous route I can definitely recommend the 477 in the forests north of Kyoto. There is almost no traffic and it is a smooth wide road next to a river.

The trip up north of Kyoto was great and perfect to escape the 38°C in downtown Kyoto. I went up on the bikepath along the river to Kamo-Shrine and from there I wanted to go east to Biwa-Lake. Instead however I decided to leave the planned route and road up north to Kifune-Jinjia Shrine in the forest. The small road (361) next to the creek continues upwards to a pass with an average gradient of 10% and ramps of 20%. After the pass at around 700 meters elevation, the road goes down into the Katsura river valley winding next the river. I continued downstream and reached a bridge and a road junction where I chose to go east again on 477 following the small river upstream. If you do not want to take the steep road (361), you could take the alternative route into this valley from the west by taking roads 31->162->477 following Katsura river upstream. Following the 477, I continued my journey up to Hanase Touge Pass visiting a few small villages along the way. After the pass it's possible to go back south to Kyoto using road 38 or to continue on 477 to another small pass (including another steep ramp). After the descent I road back to Kyoto on 367. Unfortunately, back in Kyoto the bike trip ended abruptly when I crashed into a car. Luckily nobody was hurt and the rental bikes of Globalwheels are insured. Globalwheels staff also helped my very kindly with this.

Date of experience: July 2018
Globalwheelsroadbike, General Manager at Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental (Osaka), responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and we're glad you had a great trip exploring Kyoto (even in the heat!). All the best cycling in Europe and we hope to hear from you again if you are ever back in Japan!

Reviewed July 12, 2018

Decided to cycle the Tokkaido, an old idea, on a whim. Not recommended due to heavy traffic and routing difficulties with Rte. 1. Oh, yes, and typhoon Prapiroon got involved near the end.

However, Globalwheels and Gareth were very helpful in providing me with a bike, panniers, and even a bike bag (required for trains) for the ride. A great service and another interesting Japanese riding experience!

Date of experience: July 2018
Globalwheelsroadbike, General Manager at Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental (Osaka), responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2018

Many thanks for riding with Globalwheels and taking the time to leave a review. We really appreciate it! We hope you get a chance to explore more of Japan with us in the future. Regards from Team GW.