“Great grilled crabs. Any type of crab you would want.”

Kanidouraku Dotombori-Honten
Ranked #11 of 3,227 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 13, 2019

I don't usually grill crabs, but I learned in this place it is a great way to cook them. Wonderful selection of crab dishes. A bit pricey though. Definitely try the crab soju if you are adventurous.

Date of visit: December 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed November 24, 2018 via mobile

Fabulous experience with different ways of feasting the crabs. Goes well with Sake. Must book in advance

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed November 22, 2018 via mobile

Reserve in advance to avoid disappointment! We had our meals at Kani Doraku Dotombori Higashimise. The crab kaiseki meal is great and we especially loved the grilled crab! As for hot pot, the special sauce and soup base brings out the fresh sweetness of the crab meat. It causes us around 15k yen but is worth it for the freshness (of the food) and a cosy place to have good meal.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Johnstanno
Reviewed October 24, 2018

Eating at Kanidouraku Dotombori-Honten was a very special experience for my wife and I. Initially i was apprehensive - I do not eat crab, so wondered if I would look at an empty table. Our hostess Sawako Yasui was amazing - she took the time to talk with us so understood why I did not initially order, then ordered ice cream. She bought the ice cream to me whilst my wife ate her crab hot pot - the price was higher than what I normally pay (I am a cheap eater) but it was an absolute bargain - there was more food than my wife could eat, and she said it was delicious. My wife also commented on how clean the crab was, which was much cleaner than she had eaten before. Sawako made us delicious traditional Japanese rice porridge to finish off, which I shared with my wife. We felt so grateful to have found the restaurant, and for Sawako to have found us and welcomed us. The view out from the restaurant is lovely, over the river watching thehordes of hungry tourists rage through looking for something even half as good as what we were already eating. I recommend this restaurant to crab lovers, partners of crab lovers or anyone interested in trying something different. Be reeady not just for an eating experience, but a cultural experience too.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 22, 2018

Advance booking is required to dine in this restaurant. It is cheaper for lunch too. It was only 5 minutes walk from our staying hotel. The hotel front is decorated with a big crab. There are multiple levels and sitting style. We were given a japanese style seat with a well for the legs. All the waitresses are dressed in kimono. This was our first time here so it would be easier to go to the set menu. We chose the second pricier one which was 4200 yen/person. It's a 9-course meal from various ways of cooking style and sushi. It seemed to be a lot for 9-course meal. In fact everything was of small size. It was all about the display and presentation of the food. It wasn't the best deal in the town. However the food was fresh and very good taste.

Date of visit: October 2018