Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Ways to Experience Kyoto Kimono Rental Rei
from $28.40
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

This kimono rental service is convinient, fast, and they have lots of choices and possibilities. Though the dressing up face could have been more personal, I understood it was very busy and they were trying to help a lot or customers at the same time. When I came back later the lady took more time talking to me and she was really nice and helpfull.

The kimono experience alone was one of the most wonderfull things i've done in Japan. The kimono was comfortable and not hot though it was a very hot day. The service is close to a nice touristic area with lots of souvenir shops, food to taste for free and a very beautiful parc to shoot some nice pics.

Date of experience: August 2018
HarryCaravan, 広報担当マネージャー at Kyoto Kimono Rental Rei, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2018

Thank you very much for your comment.
We are so glad that you liked kimono!

Reviewed February 14, 2018 via mobile

There are many kimono hires in Kyoto area, but I found this to be one of the cheaper ones.
The ladies at the place were very efficient and quick with dressing and undressing us! They took their time in choosing what kimonos would suit us and could match with our spouses! Despite the language barrier they were extremely forecoming and friendly. They did speak a little bit of English, and fluent Mandarin.
It is a little hard to find as it is on the 3rd floor of a back shop (you have to find the tucked in elevator) but was constantly communicating with us via FB messenger which was all good.
In the end they gave us a significant discount and offered to do our make ups and hair for free (just a hair accessory rental for some of us) plus earlier deductions.
I would definitely come back for this cultural experience and recommend REI to everyone!
Tips:
- for guys make sure you loosen your kimono a bit as the men in our group were walking like penguins the entire day
- in winter make sure you wear thermals, it is still fine without but for those not used to the cold extra precaution is good
- the sandals are quite painful and dont offer much support! So plan to not do a whole lot of walking in them and visit nearby shrines as they are literally just pieces of wood with cloth!

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank L5217IGanastasias
HarryCaravan, Staff at Kyoto Kimono Rental Rei, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2018

We are so delighted to receive such encouraging comments. We believe your tips are really helps for future customers.

Reviewed November 19, 2017

I booked this in before I went to Japan and paid for the basic package. It was very easy to find - in the Gion area opposite the Yasaka shrine. You head to the 3rd floor to begin with, where they will take you to choose your kimono and will explain what is included for you. Then you get changed....be warned - if you're not comfortable with someone dressing you, this might not be the best activity for you. The ladies are very professional and try to do everything they can to make you comfortable.
My package only included the actual clothing and shoes, however for an extra 1000 Yen, I opted to get my hair done as well. After you're done, you can go out and go sightseeing in it, as long you return it by 7pm.
The whole experience was just incredible - I had no idea everything that went into wearing a kimono!!
Tip - keep on eye on the whether for the day you're going to do it - we did it when it was humid (no other free days), but it meant that we didn't stay in them for as long as we would've liked.

Date of experience: October 2017
HarryCaravan, staff at Kyoto Kimono Rental Rei, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2017

Thank you very much for your comment. I believe it really helps for future customers.

Reviewed March 16, 2017 via mobile

Went there 30mins early for parents to take photo. Had made reservation thru online booking and made payment. There is one english speaking staff. When my mother start to choose the kimono, she chose items that are not in the paid plan. We are fine with extra charges. After the kimono and hairdo is done, we are needed to make payment. The staff calculated everything inside. I reminded her that I had made the payment and only need to pay for extras. The staff quickly apologize. Everything is perfect and the staff are very professional.

Date of experience: March 2017
HarryCaravan, staff at Kyoto Kimono Rental Rei, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2017

Thank you very much for your comment. We are encouraged to make our service progress by your comment.