All reviews hot bath cultural experience breakfast and dinner nishiki market culture kyoto yukata slippers
Selected filters
Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

The staff provided superior service for a luxurious stay. Sumiya Ryokan is traditional and will provide an introduction to a true Japanese Ryokan experience. The staff included English speakers, who helped introduce us to our room and Ryokan culture. We were greeted with our slippers, yukatas, and a green tea service. The staff also drew a hot bath. The reservation includes breakfast and dinner for each night of stay. The in room kiseiki, 10 course meal, was made with the freshest of ingredients. We chose the Japanese breakfast both days, however a western option is available. I was concerned the futon beds would be uncomfortable, but my mom and I were pleasantly surprised with the quality of our sleep. The location allowed easy access to bus and train lines, was walkable to Nishiki markets and Gion. The staff also called taxis for us to travel to farther locations. Sumiya provided a fantastic introduction to a traditional and historic family run Ryokan.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2017

This is by far the most hospitable Ryokan! It is a family business and it is now in its 7th generation. The hosts were very friendly, spoke conversational English, helped me as much as they can including standing outside the Ryokan and hailing a cab for us in winter because our bags were too heavy. The breakfast and dinner were excellent!

Date of stay: February 2017
Reviewed June 2, 2017

Stayed here for 2 nights in late May, we knew it wasn't cheap, but when you consider it includes a 7+ course meal each night and a full traditional breakfast - all served to you, in your room (suite actually) by your personal nanki-san - its becomes great value. Look - this is a cultural experience, whilst it is luxurious, its not the 5star western interpretation of luxury, personally I suggest the Ryokan is a superior interpretation. I cannot recommend it highly enough, this particular Ryokan is well located and served us well as a base for the Kyoto sights we wanted to take in. Staff could not be more friendly and welcoming, we felt it was the highlight of our Japanese experience, a short cut to getting a view of 1000 years of culture - almost like a living museum (in a very good way). Ohhh, and we had the most comfortable nights sleep, the Futon arrangements are a far cry and far more comfortable than the ones I remember that became a "thing" in the UK about 30 years ago...

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful, traditional ryokan with very hospitable, accommodating personnel.
The first photo is of the view from inside our room. The outer alcove was where we had breakfast and read the morning paper and relished the peaceful, private, well composed garden.
The 2nd photo is one of our many dishes, part of the kaiseki dinner meal, which was a sumptuous 12 courses of japanese gourmet meal. (We gave up at the 9th course !). All served in our room by a kimono clad lady.
The 3rd photo is the front of the hotel, very unassuming and understated, on a one way street in the heart of Kyoto.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank localdoc
Reviewed October 19, 2016

I just spent 2 nights at this lovely ryokan. Unfortunately, although I specifically asked for a quiet room, my room was underneath the staff and they walk around until midnight and are up again at 5:45am. It's either one very busy person or multiple people in the room. I was on the second floor, maybe the first room on the right. Last night, I took a sleeping pill and was still woken up.
It's a lovely establishment and I suspect there might be more quiet rooms, but the noise in this room was unacceptable.

Room tip: I suspect there might be quiet rooms but I don't know where
Date of stay: October 2016