All reviews side street nishiki market shijo dori amazing shower great location drug store walking distance classical music rice public bath hotel is located food market bit tricky to find the main shopping street gion area yasaka shrine rooms are small
Reviewed September 21, 2018

I stayed simple Japanese style room with slightly frayed Tatami mats and shower room. More than my expectation, there's a large public bath(大浴場 Dai-Yokujyou)on 3rd floor(Open: 16:00~25:00 / 6:00~10:00).
Breakfast was snobby and overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

The previous reviewers are spot on that this is a really great hotel, in a perfect location a quiet street just a minutes walk from the main shopping strip. Nearby are minimarts, 7/11, Maccas, buses, trains, and fancy restaurants. The hotel is high quality with bathing facilities, restaurant, in house movies, the list goes on. See the photos

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank William S
Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

Great location, just off the main road (around a 10 min walk from the river)

The rooms are cool, comfortable and traditional.

Comfy Japanese beds (on the floor!). Soft pyjamas. Slippers.

Bathroom is small but does the trick. The shower is AMAZING

Great value for our 3 night stay in Kyoto

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2018

The location on Shijo is excellent but the the staff lacks professionalism, and most have poor English. The concierge, on the other hand, speaks good English, but she is an exceedingly chilly and unfriendly woman--verging on hostile. She is the most unpleasant concierge I have ever encountered in my many travels and made me not want to stay at the hotel again. There are numerous problems with the staff and the management. Whenever mistakes are made, all they say is "Sorry" but don't remedy the situation. I had a problem with the climate control in my room (it was very hot) and the staff just couldn't seem to figure out what was going on. It took numerous frustrating efforts (over several days) to resolve the problem but the staff seemed clueless about the matter and didn't seem eager to find a solution.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank lola
Reviewed August 21, 2018

I spend 11 nights here with my little daughter, and it was just perfect!

Our room was very clean, modern and comfortable and most of all it was quiet! I have experienced some very thin and poor quality windows at other places in Japan. At Grand Bach Hotel we finally could sleep without being disturbed by street noise.

We also loved the washing machines (which are being used all the time- it would be perfect if there would be even more).
There is even one male and one female onsen available. Loved it!

The friendly and highly skillful concierge has helped us a lot about transportation and many more issues.

The hotel location between two major subway stations is just perfect. The main shopping and restaurant areas are even reachable by foot.

When in Kyoto we will definitely stay at Grand Bach again.

Room Tip: As usual in Japan, beds are a little smaller than in the US/EU. As a family you might want to skip the smallest room category.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family