See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 12, 2016 via mobile

Upon arrival we were concerned as we could not make contact, and it seemed there was a problem with our online reservation. English-Japanese translation caused a bit of confusion, and once we worked out what was lost in translation we were brought into the Inn and shown our room.
The host was very hospitable, however she would turn the heater off which we purposely left on while we went out for dinner as it was very cold inside, especially being the middle of winter! The layout was a bit of a maze, however it was impeccably clean and well maintained.
The location was great - easy to get to food, transport, etc.
There is a little eatery on the other side of the street, just past the intersection after the bath house. It had a small light in the window. The host speaks good English and you get a lot of food, which is very nice for 10,000 yen. We went back the following night!
If you are after a cheap, traditional stay, I would definitely recommend this Inn.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Anita S
Reviewed April 30, 2016 via mobile

Love to stay here.
For budget traveller like me it's good price for me.
When you apply from this app/ web, you will pay cash when you stay there. They only accept cash.

I stay in second floor. So, if you bring heavy suitcase, you need to consider.

Only 5-10 minutes to Tambashi station. And it's only 3 minutes from Tambashi station to Kyoto station.

They only have one bathroom, and share with others. Across the Ryokan, there's a sento/ onsen about 1-2 minutes. Pay around 900 yen or 1000 yen if you rent the towel.

It's very traditional Ryokan. You can feel Japanese life style here. The neighborhood also good. After all i feel satisfied stay here.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2015

Ryokan Sanki is run by a wonderful woman who makes you feel right at home.
It's not a large hotel by any means, but it is a comfortable and safe place to sleep
with a train station only 5 minutes away. There is also a laundromat close by which
she will gladly give you a map and tell you how to reach.

We stayed here 2 nights and would gladly come back if we are ever in the area again. You can see some footage of the ryokan here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34BWyTGLWI

I recommend checking that out for other travel suggestions as well. Have a great trip in Kyoto.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Vahid R
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is my second time in ryokan Sanki, and I'll keep coming back whenever in Kyoto.
Grandmas who own this place are lovely and caring and will make sure you get the best from your stay.
The location is great, just a few steps from Tambaguchi station (one stop away to Kyoto central station), and surrounded by an old geisha district; there is an historical Sumiya house next door that has gorgeous paintings, there a the fish market, 2 onsens and there are plenty of very good small restaurant and bars around. Between them, even the winner of 2013 best lunch in Kyoto!
Just ask them the map for the laundry store and you'll receive a map of the whole area that will make a big difference.
The ryokan is a historical house in wood and tatami.
The shared bathrooms are kept spotless.
Every evening a clean hot bath is prepared in the small tub.
I was welcomed a fresh drink once arrived, the room was large, clean and nice, equipped with Yukata and all.
I have seen and been in almost all the rooms, and they are all nice.
The little courtyard is peaceful, and the place is quiet and safe.
I stayed for a long time and changed the dates more than once, and it was always smooth.
And I was given a gift when I left, once again!
I feel like home every time I go to Sanki and I will keep going back.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
7  Thank Noemi F
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Good value for money and run with a smile by the older lady that owns it. Even when fully occupied (we counted seven rooms contrary to earlier information...) there were no issues in sharing the bathroom (which has floor heating, very nice in this time of year) and there was never a lack of hot water.
The lady herself is very helpful and friendly, saying good morning every day as we came down and got ready to go out, letting us know what the weather was going to be like and helping us to get to where we want to go. Even though she does not speak much english, communication is not a problem.
We loved our stay, our hostess and the location of this cute Ryokan, and can recommend it to anyone!

Date of stay: April 2012