Open today: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
A RARE PRIVILEGE - CIVILISED, DELIGHTFUL AND EDUCATIONAL

LondonNickB
London
Fantastic authentic experience

We did the vegetarian class with Taro (and family) and had a fantastic time. The class was the... read more

Radavies

All reviews kobe beef japanese home miso soup japanese food dashi japanese family side dishes japanese culture nishiki market non vegetarian his lovely wife omelette cooking experience cooking techniques learn how great teacher taro san
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Taro not only gave us a cooking lesson but he and his family hosted us to the most delightful, insightful experience at their Kyoto home.

We had the pleasure of a dinner party, the conversation of someone who combines the insight of a Japanese local with a curious global mindset - and we had the pleasure of not only tasting but learning about, amongst other things, kobe beef (the only steak I know that actually becomes better the more you cook it - and now I know why).

I confess that on a sunny day I hesitated about spending four hours indoors. My son and I's hesitation could not have been more ill founded, We were with Taro for nearly five hours on what was one of the highlights of a trip that was full of wonderful things.

Do not hesitate.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We did the vegetarian class with Taro (and family) and had a fantastic time.

The class was the perfect mix of hands-on and instructional. Taro was a great teacher, answering all our question about cooking and Japanese culture.

We came away from the class having had a delicious meal, lots of interesting conversation and with plenty of great tips and recipes to try when we get home.

If you are in Kyoto and are looking for an authentic cooking experience I would recommend Taro's class.

Reviewed October 5, 2018

Whilst planning my recent trip to Japan I was really keen to book a cooking class as I'm a huge fan of Japanese cuisine (one of the main reasons for visiting!) and wanted an authentic experience. I had a hunt around online and the reviews here on Trip Advisor lead me to book Taro's class for myself and my sister as it just sounded so good! I'm so pleased he had some spaces left (and thank you fellow reviewers!)

As Taro clearly explains before you book, it is very much an introduction to Japanese cooking where you will be taught how to make a selection of dishes. Whilst you do get the chance to assist with the prep and some cooking, it's not as hands on as you might think. I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone else by telling you the exact structure of the class but we were taught how to make four dishes and at the end we sat down together at Taro's kitchen table to enjoy it all together!

It was really special to be in Taro's home environment with his wife and children and you couldn't really ask for a more authentic experience! Taro is a very kind man and interesting man with so much knowledge on Japanese cooking! Although we were asking him lots of questions, he was equally curious to find out all about us too! It was really nice to share tips on travelling Japan with the other people in our class too.

I really recommend this class if you're after an authentic experience whilst in Japan and keen to learn more about the cuisine in greater depth.

All I'll say is even if you're not hugely interested in cooking, the kobe beef Taro cooked for us is 100% reason enough to book!

Reviewed October 4, 2018

My family and friends of 6 were welcomed into Taro's home as if we were family. Taro's knowledge of cooking Kobe beef and interesting stories about traditional Japanese cooking/culture was incredible to experience. To taste the delicacy of flavors by explanation of how to prepare them properly will forever change my outlook on cooking at home. I highly recommend Taro's class!

Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

I can not recommend this class enough. Taro was very welcoming and explained in detail regarding the strict guidelines associated with Kobe beef. I always try to attend a cooking class whilst traveling the globe, this class is one of the best I’ve attended. Traditional Japanese cuisine, what Japan is all about. Thankyou Taro for giving me the opportunity to be involved. If ever your in Australia be sure to contact me. Fiona

Reviewed September 29, 2018

My class consisted of three other travelers and myself, and we loved our time with Taro-san and his family. There are other cooking classes in Japan for sure, but I picked Haru Cooking Class because I wanted to know authentic Japanese home style cooking. And that is exactly what I learned and I cannot thank Taro-san enough for such a memorable afternoon.

Taro-san will explain the philosophy and culture of Japanese home cooking, and the techniques that any home cook can easily learn to replicate it in our own kitchens. We learned to make Japanese miso soup, vegetable stir-fry, Japanese omelette, a kind of tofu soup, and of course, the kobe beef. We talked at length about kobe beef and the truth behind Japanese beef. The entire class was very informative and engaging, and I really felt that we were all exchanging pieces of our different cultures. What I appreciated the most about Taro-san's approach is that he made Japanese cooking very approachable and friendly to anyone new to it.

Thank you so much, Taro-san! I highly recommend this class to anyone visiting Kyoto and wanting to learn Japanese food culture on a deeper level.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

My brother and I joined 4 others in the Haru Cooking Class in May 2018. Based on the description we weren't sure of there would be enough cooking done by us like Haru warned. But we felt like we did plenty of cooking and preparing the meal our selves.

This is a awesome way to learn about Japanese culture and food. Taro's English is very good. He is very interested in learning about our cultures and backgrounds as we were about his. He and his wife put on a great class. We really learned a lot about the bases for all Japaneses cooking. The food that we help to prepare was excellent. We still talk about the class and share what we learned with our family and friends.

If you are visiting Kyoto then this is a must do!!!

Reviewed September 17, 2018

My 13 year old and I joined the haru cooking class last week, and really enjoyed it. It was educational and fun and tasty! Gave us more insight into Japanese culture and cooking. Taro is interesting and was fun to see his family and kids interact with each other.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed August 19, 2018

My husband and I attended this cooking class in April 2018 during our honeymoon and it was by far one of the highlights of our time in Japan. It was a fun, intimate cooking class and we learned a lot about not only Japanese cooking but the culture as well. The fact that Taro and his family host this class in their home makes it all the more special. Each class is limited to a small number of people so that there is enough space and everyone can participate. It was very well balanced between practical cooking and learning and the food itself was delicious. Taro is an excellent host and provided lots of information before, during and after the class. Highly recommend this to anyone planning a trip to Kyoto.

Reviewed August 18, 2018

My partner and I joined three others for a cooking class with Taro, and had a fantastic experience. It was fun and light-hearted but we came away having learnt a lot too.

The emphasis is quite evenly split between the cooking and learning about Japanese cuisine (which is a good split, in my view).

The food that was cooked was very delicious and we can't wait to try some of them when we get back home.