All reviewsboutique hotelrooftop barnespresso machineimperial palacesitting areahuge bedexecutive suitejacuzzi bathfree drinkswalk aroundbose sound systemwalking distancelocation is excellentthree nightsfood marketfree standing bathstaff were so friendly
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed at The Screen for one night in Kyoto and wished we had stayed longer. Its in a great location, feels like a new hotel, and has wonderful service.

From the moment that you check in the staff is there to help and take care of every detail. They bring you in to the lounge right away for a cocktail, which is always nice.

The rooms are all different, we had room 101, it is the one that looks like it has colorful floral shogi screens. The bedroom can be closed off from the living room which is nice. Room is small, at least for Western standards and there was no TV in the bedroom, and its not possible to view the one in the livingroom from bed.

They provide a great inroom espresso maker which is nice, there is no wifi in the room but they have LAN access. This is a little strange since they have wifi in the lobby?

The strangest part of the stay is the bathroom. We stayed at several placed in Japan, and none had this set-up so I know its not a Japan thing.
The bathroom was very small with a gigantic jaccuzzi style tub. Then off to the side of that tub was the smallest shower I have ever seen, and it was just open to the entire room? It has a plastic curtain that you could pull but it was tiny and water gets everywhere in the entire bathroom, on the sink, walls, floor etc. Because of this the door to the room always stays closed, so you can't prop it open. Its a bit messy in there after a shower and then you are walking in the wet floor when you leave the bathroom, which leads straight to the living room. Not the best design at all.
Other than the crazy bathroom, it was wonderful.
The Lounge is very nice, the food is wonderful, we had the breakfast with out room and it was great!

Room Tip: As if they have rooms with normal showers...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdventureTravelerEM
Reviewed July 28, 2011

fantastic place- stylish, unique, central location. staff went out of their way to be helpful. I have stayed in many fantastic hotels but this was the 1st time a hotel provided taxi chits for a restaurant a bit further away- what a lovely surprise.
the room was spacious [rare in Japan] with a sitting area, a nespresso machine and computers right outside the door! the restaurant was very attentive to food preferences and remembered day to day. I was travelling with my teen aged niece who thought very highly of it as well.
a true highlight of my trip to Japan.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The Screen is a stunner!

Great hotel in a perfect location. The free happy hour for guests is also a treat, though I am not sure they understood what they were getting into with three thirsty Australians!

The rooms are a little over-designed, but everything works and the Korres products in the bathrooms are a nice addition.

The Japanese breakfast is fantastic too.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed June 29, 2011

.. is what they say. I'm not sure but it certainly is a fine luxury boutique hotel. Small and intimate with friendly staff, sometimes English is an issue but nothing they won't solve with a smile. Our room and I believe all rooms don't have curtains - only sheds - which darken out the room, this makes it difficult to sleep as it gets bright around 4AM (June). Adding curtains to the rooms would be a wise and small investment. The rooftop has a wonderful bar area and terrace with lounge chairs where we enjoyed impeccable service. If you're looking for luxury boutique and willing to pay more, this is your place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are differently designed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kepamad
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This boutique hotel was intimate, spotlessly clean and contemporary. My daughter and I could not fault the hotel but for us the location was a little isolated. We did not understand Japanese and found it a difficult to find a restaurant in the immediate area that would cater to English speaking tourists. The hotel's restaurant was very nice however. Each bedroom was designed by a different designer. Ours was lovely but lacked a window, which I found disconcerting. The bathroom was very modern. Japanese toilets and this one in particular use state ot the art technology. This hotel might cater more to a wealthy hip Japanese couple than to an American woman in her fifties although my 25 year old daughter was happy enough. I did find the rates to be very high. We were paying a high price for the innovative design.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family