Lusty Beg Island
Harvey's Point(Donegal Town)
$256
TripAdvisor
1,062 results
All reviewslusty begclay pigeon shootinghot tuboff road drivingcourtyard roomwedding venuebar restaurantnature trailwedding receptionspa facilitiesmain buildingself cateringboth nightsnight breaklog cabinbar staffseaweed bath
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed here at the start of October with a group of female friends and had an amazingly relaxing weekend. We visited the SPA and received a warm welcome from the receptionist and were given a tour of the facilities. The spa, which was newly renovated was lovely and the staff were very attentive and give a great seaweed wrap! To finish off our day we dined in the restaurant - the menu had a nice selection and made for a delicious meal. All in all I would recommend lusty beg for a relaxing weekend away from the fast pace of the city.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melans_240514
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Steak was the best I have had in a long time and I eat it a lot. Bars, Lounge and Restaurant are spread out yet integrate well. Buffet breakfast is served in a corner room off the restaurant and make breakfast a pleasure. Walks around island are a delight, pool is easy to access and is available to residents in morning and evening. Did not try the spa but many residents choose to stay on the island during the day and have treatments. We used it as a base to do Slieve League which I would recommend going via Belleek one way and the mountain road on the way there or back. Enniskillen or Marble Arch Caves are also not far away.

Room Tip: They are all good. 21,22,23 are closest to main building, bring brolly and coat as you may get wet walking to bar/restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carnalbanagh
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was so so soooo disappointed with my stay here. Maybe I had built it up to expect too much, had heard wonderful things about the place; 'a romantic island get away' 'staff are great' 'rooms are cosy and comfortable'. Unfortunately, I disagree with all of the above.
Maybe i got off to a bad start, having been soaked on the little ferry on the way over, I wanted nothing more than a warm bath before getting ready to go down for dinner and drinks. Couldn't believe it when I got to the room and it was tiny (but still nice, had character & seemed clean), the bathroom however was a bit of a disaster. Bearing in mind it was a wet miserable day, I wasn't best pleased to find house keeping had left a sky light wide open in the bathroon; the toilet and floor were soaked and it was FREEZING. Towels hadn't been replenished since the last guests left - there was one hand towel and no soap/ shower gel etc. (I generally bring my own shampoo / shower gel but it didnt go unnoticed that there was none, not even hand soap which is unhygienic!!). No bath (although that was never a guarantee) but the final straw was that the shower was cold. The water was freezing. Rang reception and their advice was to wait 15 mins, try again and if it didnt work, call them back. So I sat shivering in a hand towel for 15mins - not a great start to our trip. Managed an average shower after that but the following night it was the same story - cold water and had to wait half an hr before water was warm again.
Went to reception after breakfast on the first day to try and get wifi connection - it didn't work. Asked them for some toiletries i.e. hand soap and instead of giving them to me there and then they said they would send someone up.....it was the afternoon before someone called to the room with them.
Breakfast was average / poor: one small buffet stand meant we had to que and then had to wait as they ran out of food. It wasnt a 'help yourself buffet' - supply was limited and it was strictly one of each item per guest. Not that I am a complete gorb, but I don't like bacon and prefer extra sausage, they couldnt cater for this. My boyfriend likes extra bacon but no tomato / mushrooms etc., they couldnt cater for this either.
I hate writing negative reviews, I am writing this based on my experience & trying to be honest but i am really struggling for someting positive to say. The pub grub was nice, but on the second night they stuck us in a 'make shift corner table' beside loads of crying babies because they had no space left. We didnt go for dinner until 20:30ish as we were hoping to miss the little ones & dinner rush (plus, we had no choice due to our delayed showers) but unfortuantely it seemed busier than ever.
We were away with another couple so each night after dinner we went back to our rooms for drinks and chat as the bar became so unpleasant. I have to say, the other couple we were with had a nicer, bigger and warmer room than us and also said their shower was warm, so perhaps we were just unlucky in our experience.
In a nut shell, i have stayed in places that were more reasonably priced with much better staff/ rooms and facilities. The picturesque idea of Lusty Begs is nicer than the actual reality. If you are going to go, at least bring some board games or a deck of cards. Fermanagh, although stunningly beautiful, is not called the wet county for nothing. Walks and playing tennis are an option, although inevitably you will have to wait for the rain to stop & the court to become free. The spa was newly opened when we visited but was closed for a day as they were taking pictures for the broucher, (there was no fore warning guests of this prior to arrival).
Can be a beautiful setting for wedding pictures, if the weather is nice............

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard (fairly standard for most guests i think) but the rooms seem to vary alot - the couple we were with were also in the court yard but their room was much nicer than ours.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DohertyBelfast
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Couldn't have had a more perfect weekend. The staff were fantastic, the atmosphere and view was amazing in every possible way, the food and drink was second to none. We stayed 3 days. Enjoyed the use of all the island had to offer. The spa is second to none. Accommodation is 5 star. A big thanks to Caroline for all her help in organising the big day also she went above and beyond the call of duty and answered any questions we had the wedding day was made to feel very personal as they only do one wedding at any given time. All guests left with plans to come back soon with familys and friends. A big shout out to bar staff also especially to Laura and her Lusty lady's.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband visited lusty beg in August, we arrived the day after our wedding. Upon arrival check in was smooth and staff were friendly. Our room was beautiful we had a ground floor room with doors out to a little patio area. The island is set out like a little village (a bit like emmerdale!) it is stunning. We didn't get a good walk around the island as we were both tired after wedding planning however the small walks which we did go on were beautiful.

We did not eat in the restaurant as we looked at the menu and thought it was very expensive. We ate in the bar both nights and the food was good, again it was pricey but less expensive than the restaurant. The atmosphere is lovely in the bar and the smell of the wood burning stove is wonderful! We sat outside both evenings as the weather was good and watched the boats and jet skis.

We used the spa as it was included in our stay and we were both very impressed. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the squealing children in the pool at the same time as us jumping in and making a nuisance of themselves! The hot tub was amazing especially first thing in the morning when it was cold outside. I didn't use the sauna or steam room but I'm sure they were great too.

Over all we had a lovely time at lusty beg and we will return next year.

• Stayed: August 2013