“Below average food and incredibly poor service.”

Osteria Rossobarolo
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Barolo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Nice looking restaurant, but the food and service here fall far before the standards we came to expect in our travels of northern Italy, especially for the prices they are charging. There are very few options on the daily menu, which would be fine if they were good, but they were particularly unimaginative and bland. Mistakes were made with our order, which meant that I was left to either eat alone or let my food go cold while my fiancée waited for the dish she actually ordered. No apologies or concessions were made for the error, and it certainly wasn't worth waiting for. To top it off we had expensive hidden "extras" on our bill. When I questioned these I was shown that they are displayed on the Italian menu, but left off the English menu. I've asked them to change the English menu for future customers, but I didn't feel they intended to take this on. To summarize, we had some great meals in Barolo - this disappointing restaurant was the exception. I strongly recommend that you go anywhere else.

2  Thank Baron_Von_Pineapple

Reviewed June 18, 2011

Walked in on spec and had just a main (ok) and dessert (Very good chocolate cake and excellent but expensive cheese plate). Enough good wines by the glass to keep anyone happy. Good service with little English, in a modern interior. Worth a look.

1  Thank F1veStar
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We ate here on our recent trip to Italy. The risotto di Barolo was outstanding, and the gnocchi was great. Great service topped off a great lunch.

2  Thank DGriffy
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We came here for dinner last night, for Piemonte the food was not the best, however we enjoyed the meal and a lovely glass of Barolo.
My tagliolini with sausage Ragu were good and very fresh. My partner had the ravioli al plin, good but not the best. The mains were a little average, I ordered the rotolo of rabbit, which was drowned in sauce, and my partner the fassone beef, also not the best. Also there were three cats running through the restaurant throughout the meal, a bit off putting since I'm allergic to cats. Overall a good ambience and food, for Piemonte you can definitely find much better though!

1  Thank Wombatina_82
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We’d eaten at Ristorante Rosso Barolo in the Piedmont wine country before, and had gotten a recipe for the wonderful organic corn-meal cookies they served after the meal. But my efforts never matched theirs (Was the butter different? The eggs? The technique?) so this time I half-joked that I needed a lesson. That opened the negotiations: Could I come Tuesday morning? No, we’d be on the train to Genoa. Sunday night? Sure. But then the Italian-speaking wife of the chef took me by the hand and led me to the kitchen and I saw the lesson would be then and there. An apron appeared for me. The English-speaking chef measured out the flours, sugar, butter, eggs (12 yolks!) while the Italian staff counted “uno, due, tre . . .” Then he picked up the bowl and carried it to an empty table in the restaurant (only 4 tables lingered over the last of their meals), slipped on latex gloves and began to mix the dough by hand. When the dough was ready there were latex gloves for me, so I could pinch off a piece the size of “un nocciolo” (a hazelnut) and roll it into a ball. And then there were more gloves, so everyone who wanted to could get into the act. When the parchment-covered cookie sheet was filled it went into the kitchen to bake (“160 centigrade for 15 minutes”) while we got acquainted with the other guests/bakers, and when the warm cookies came out the chef opened a bottle of sparkling wine and we all enjoyed the fruits of our labors. Perfetto! This would never happen in the States, but in Italy? Well, they do seem to always be up for a party!

1  Thank Jazzmom15