“A friendly hotel in a great location; good value for money.”
Review of Hotel Barolo

Hotel Barolo
Ranked #8 of 12 Barolo B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Surrounded by the vineyards of the hotel owner, and on the edge of the beautiful and historic village of Barolo this hotel is in an idyllic setting. It is a great base for touring the vineyards in the region.

My room in the new building was clean, light and airy; it was air conditioned, had a very comfortable bed and a balcony with a view of the vines. The food in the restaurant is all local produce and tastes even better accompanied by the wine from the owners cellars.

If you're looking for a friendly hotel for a romantic break or a base for a tour of the Barolo region I would highly recommend this. I expect to return again in the future.

Stayed: May 2011
There are newer reviews for Hotel Barolo

Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for one night with our 10-month old baby. We were travelling by car. The hotel has a car park.

We got a room in the 'new building' expecting 'modern deco' but ahem...the building may be modern but the deco is not.

The room had a little balcony overlooking the castle and pool. Unfortunately we were travelling in January so we weren't able to enjoy the balcony. However, I can imagine sitting on the balcony when it's warmer, with a nice glass of wine in my hand, admiring the view.

The bath was a jacuzzi-type bath which was a surprise.

They had a minibar in the room with very reasonable prices; 2 euros for a can.

We hadn't booked a tour of the wine cellar and just knocked on the door to see if we could try some of their wine. To our astonishment, we were given a one-hour tour with a wine-tasting with the owners' son. It was really interesting and nice! We really appreciated the time they took for us. Their wine is really good. We preferred the Barbera d'Alba.

The hotel and vineyards are family-run. They have a restaurant too and the food there was excellent. The gnocchi al pomodoro was so good I ended up ordering two portions of it.

The owner was a very charming lady and our baby took a shining to her. She even blew a balloon for our baby and entertained her. They had a high-chair which was great.

The breakfast was very good.

As we were travelling out of season, I think they could have dropped the price of the room more, especially as we were the only ones there.

All in all it was very calm, peaceful and baby-friendly. Not sure if they had a baby cot as we were travelling with our own. The village of Barolo was rather dead, but I guess that's to be expected in January. I think it would be great to visit when it's a bit warmer ;)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lovefoodlovetravel75
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This little family-run hotel was quite cute, nestled in Barolo, and close to all of the different regions. The view out the back entrance is of the Castello di Barolo, and the town. We arrived on a busy Sunday, and unfortunately surprised the front desk because they didn't have our reservations. But they happily put us up with no issues. The rooms are very generous, especially the bathroom! Since we were traveling in October/November, and it was rainy, we never checked out the pool area. Instead we were able to take late night walks into town, because it is just down the back driveway and across a parking lot. The rooms need a bit of updating, but it was very comfortable and quiet, and it fit our needs perfectly. We had lunch a couple of times in their dining room, but it is a destination for tour groups, so be advised. Food is pretty good, and we were lucky to taste some of the Brezza wines as well. I had stayed in La Morra previously, but this was much more convenient, accessible to the roads, and for walking purposes as well. Would recommend it if you are looking for a nice, inexpensive, quaint hotel located in a convenient area.

Room Tip: Views are best on the top floors, and they have another annex/wing on the other side of the lot that...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The Hotel Barolo is in a perfect spot to explore the vineyards. It is a very short walk to the village of Barolo and it has lovely views over the vineyards to the Castle of Barolo. The pool is great.

We stayed in the new wing. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is typical of Italian small hotels. Continental with things such as salami, cheese, breads and boiled eggs on offer. Excellent was the orange juice - pink in colour and squeezed from blood oranges. My only gripe was that trying to get a decent cup of coffee each morning was like pulling teeth. We wanted a decent espresso and they kept referring us to the pre-made urn of coffee and saying "American". My Italian was not good enough to tell them I wasn't American, but I would also be surprised if American tourists settled for pre-made coffee. Sorry but I'm not travelling all the way to Italy to drink crap coffee.

Food in the restaurant was good, and the view from the terrace delightful. The restaurant was closed on one of the nights we stayed. The Brezza wines are excellent, although many on the wine list were not available - a shame because we were prepared to spend the money on some older vintages.

I would stay here again and I would recommend it as a great base to travel round the Barolo region. Also I would try to learn a little more Italian next time - in this part of Italy (unlike the more common tourist areas) English is not very common and the language barrier posed a few issues. (Like trying to get a decent cup of coffee)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jetlovergirl
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We booked on the same day for one night asking whether they have a pool (yes) and a restaurant (yes). We got a nice family room from the new building, with a view to vines and trash collection point. Swimming suite on, everyone excited to get to pool after long travel. Only to find out that pool was not open at all, apparently because they had put some cleaning chemicals into the pool. They were not about to offer any compensation, though pool was the reason why we chose the hotel. In the evening, after visiting Barolo, we came back to the hotel to have some dinner (travelling with kids), only to find out it was closed that particular night. :-( In the end they did offer compensation of either ten euros or couple bottles of their own wine (which were great!). Would I stay there again? No. Can I recommend their wines? Yes.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank MadVikingInMilan
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Hotel Barolo is a decent hotel in a fantastic setting, at the entrance to Barolo.

The room was fine, there was ample free parking, the pool is lovely (though, for some reason, they insist upon bathers wearing swimcaps, which is a first for me), the breakfast buffet was mediocre, but service was non-existent.

Not only did they take forever to check us in because the "right person" was not around to do it, but they seemed unable to provide us with basic hotel services such as restaurant recommendations or organise taxis for us (though they did finally manage to get one taxi on Saturday night). Not one person working at the hotel spoke English better than my Italian, which is limited to ordering food.

Small changes could make this a fantastic hotel, but currently it is barely average. Shame.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ss7680
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The reception area is very unwelcoming. Receptionist seemed rushed.
Breakfast was fine. Pool are was nice but i Ibelieve over the weekend it is very crowded. Barolo is a lovely little wine area. Very relaxing.

Room Tip: Room was a good size. Not enough pillows.Views are fantastic. Bathroom not very clean.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barolo
Le Torri - Hotel
The Green Guesthouse Affittacamere
Agriturismo le Viole
Agriturismo le Viole
#4 of 12 in Barolo

Been to Hotel Barolo? Share your experiences!