“GUIDO RESTAURANT IS A REAL THING!”
Review of Guido Ristorante

Guido Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Fusion, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
“GUIDO RESTAURANT IS A REAL THING!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This restaurant this a real thing: old flavors through high professional skills . Guido has combined many years of tradition inherited from his mother with the today technique. His philosophy is the essential : all you will experience is true flavors, an exaltation of nature.
Guido is a scientist of flavor, one of my most interesting tasting experience in my life.
Guido is a real thing!thank you.

• Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I wish this restaurant was close to our house, so we could go every week. The food was the best we had in Italy! The restaurant is beautiful, combines the modern with the Antique. The owner is very friendly, recommended fabulous wines to combine with our meal. Each dish was beautifully presented and with varied but combining tastes. Highly recommend!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank tatibotelho
New York City, New York
“Slow food is the best”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was my second visit to the restaurant and my experience was fantastic again. Chef was very accommodating to my lacto-ovo vegetarian wife. Food was amazing again. "Mom's" raviolis need to be tasted. excellent wine list with reasonable prices. We had a 1982 barolo for under 100 euro. I have eaten at aimo e nadie in Milan. The food here is equivalent but you don't need to wear a jacket and tie. Staff are multilingual because many are international students at the gastronomic sciences school next door. Restaurant is beautiful inside.

• Visited September 2012
East Cowes
“guidissimo”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I almost have to apologize that this venue wasn't our first choice for our last evening in Piemonte, but Piazza Duomo (luckily or unluckily) was closed that evening and our host recommended us to go a bit further out to Pollenzo to find this well-known restaurant.
It is run by two brothers in a setting for which the word mind-blowing seems underrated (after you find it, that is- as others mentioned it is difficult to spot the entrance, there is no indicated parking – thank god it’s in a quiet road, no signposting only a small nameplate and the door was locked when we arrived – knocking on the window helped). It is set in a building what was once the summer residency of the kings of Italy on the edge of roman ruins, built in a style to resemble possibly roman architecture built in the last century. The conversion in this restaurant, a meeting venue and a hotel academy was done in the 90s and won several architectural prizes - I have never eaten in a venue like this (James Bond Movies spring to mind) – possibly conservation rules prevent better highlighting and signing/parking outside?
An old building with a striking modern interior, like only the Italians can pull it off.
The tables are beautifully laid out with the finest Crockery and the now ubiquitous Riedel glassware and the size of the tables and distance they are apart exceeds anything I have seen ever before (even in 3star venues) - despite that you never feel uncomfortable as the whole atmosphere and service is so friendly, welcoming and relaxing.
The man at the front of house who is not called Guido but Piero and his Brother Ugo in the Kitchen have created something indeed very special and the food was more than a match for the exceptional surroundings
The tasting menu consisted of three amuse boches, who were very good the most memorable possibly a home cured sweet water trout. The next starter was vitello tonnato, a piedmont classic and one of my personal favourites - it was excellent – and I also learned that this dish can be presented beautifully and appetizing (something I find difficult when I make it myself - meat covered with a creamy sauce is difficult to paint on a plate...) - or not as here it was arranged like a flower, the veal slices - here a bit more pink than usual and all the better for it- forming the leaves and the sauce arranged in the middle - at this stage we found out that the lighting in the restaurant was arranged to highlight (!) the plates in front of the diners without being bright or in the face of them, creating a very elegant ambient lighting and focus on the food
Next in the tasting menu was a trout filet, wrapped in zucchini and served with a carpione sauce almost too beautiful to eat but very tasty, I decided to try a different starter outside of the tasting menu and opted for a veal tongue as I wanted to try the bagnet sauce – absolutely delicious
The next course was a homage to the brothers’ mum, Lidia who founded the families gastronomical kudos in a tavern near Asti – Agnolotti . I have never had pasta as good as this, the whole experience was a perfect mixture of taste, smell and texture, the dough was almost transparent – if we would have been only served this dish on the evening I would still have gone home happy it was that good-
The main was the most perfect, tender best end of lamb highlighted with olive oil presented with local veg.
Dessert we could choose from the main dessert menu, I went for a semifreddo of Pistachio and a chocolate cake, my wife chose a torrone parfait and amarena cherries – several little pre and post desserts and coffee finished a perfect evening – full marks for guido’s restaurant (although we did never find out who Guido is or was…)
As we had to drive home the next morning we asked for wines matched by the glass and were again not disappointed – after a nice aperitivo we had a young barbera for the starters followed with a 2001 barolo with the mains – Piero has a masters of wine and it clearly showed as the matching was excellent – the bottle/decanter were left on the table and second helpings were encouraged – imagine my surprise when the matched wines for the whole menu amounted to a mere 15 Euro per person – I would have thought double and not complained – the whole evening was exceptional value for money as well.. Thank you Piero, Ugo and team.
(Listen Michelin I have never understood who stars are distributed outside France but this restaurant definitely warrants 2 stars and not only one – I have eaten in three star places who were not as elaborately decorated and presented and had certainly no better food – that the winelist focusses on the Piedmont area should be a bonus not a malus in wine country)

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank cramorra
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

A wonderful restaurant for a special occasion. Artistically presented, tasty food. Immaculate service. We had a set menu and thought it was good value.

• Visited October 2011