“A standard budget hotel for an £80 price tag” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eastwood Hall

Eastwood Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eastwood
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A standard budget hotel for an £80 price tag”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Was very disappointed with this hotel and wouldn't consider value for money. The decor is dated (which you have ample time to view on the long walk to your room) and the bedrooms depressing. I had a terrible nights sleep on a barely 'double' bed with a cheap mattress. The towels were thin and rough and the breakfast just budget standard. Staff were friendly. Definately not worth the £80 we paid for one nights stay, should have been around £50-60.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
2 Thank Luckylogs
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments

It was disappointing to read you had a terrible nights sleep and found the room to be depressing, we receive many comments on how bright and airy the rooms are many of them with great views over the grounds

The decor could be taken as dated although only recently have we had our restaurant and public areas re-furbished, the corridors maybe are not as modern as some guests would like although the hotel is clean and comfortable.

It is best to check our website as we do promote differing rates at varying times of the year and some are better value than the £80.00 you paid, I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Eastwood Hall sometime in the near future when a better accommodation rate is available

Andrew Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Yorkshire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed for two nights, Friday & Saturday as a family of 3. (2 Adults + 1 x 10yr old.)

The first thing to say is that the hotel is sprawling and is very much focused on conferences. The leisure facilities are there but we did not use them. The reason for this is that children (under 18) can only use them on a Saturday & Sunday for 2 hours at specific times, outside of that they are not permitted. Due to our commitments the hours were not feasible & there is no compromise from the hotel.

The bar area is large, but I can imagine when the hotel is busy it does get rather congested. Service was fairly decent with no real complaints.

Bar prices are £1.80 for a small coke, £4,50 for a pint of various types of lager and £5 for a Bombay & Tonic. This to me wasn't excessive and as expected for any hotel these days.

We ate in the restaurant on the Friday and I would describe the food as acceptable, slanting to poor. But, this depended on what you were eating. I had Cumberland Sausage for starters and it is awful, tough and burnt. But my family & friends ate differently and enjoyed. So all in all pretty mixed with decent service.

The breakfast in the same restaurant was pretty much standard fare, full english and continental on a self service basis. On Sunday morning there was a substantial queue for tables with a wait around 10-15 mins.

Now the bedrooms, we were allocated a ground floor room very close the conference facilities. (Yes it was very noisy both in corridor and walls are paper thin, don't forget ear plugs) I understood that these were the "refurbished" rooms, but I have to say it cannot be recently.
The room was large and spacious, so no complaint on that score. But, as for cleanliness and condition, it can only be described as very poor.

If you have stayed in a Premier Travel Inn or Travelodge type hotel, then you will find the quality of the rooms well below those. This came a surprise despite my reading of many earlier reviews.

The bed is a "roll together in the middle" type with our sun sleeping under the window on a camp bed. There is no independent heating control other than a radiator knob.

The bathroom was in a poor state of repair, so much so we had a major issue on the Saturday morning.

The water temperature suddenly without warning went to VERY hot, this was whilst my son was in the shower. The control would not then turn the shower off and was at maximum, this resulted in my son screaming as it was burning him whilst I wrestled with the shower head and controls & getting him out. Eventually with a bit of brute force we managed to switch it off, but this was deeply concerning. Another issue was that the shower door on the bath side did not fit, so our bathroom became a "wet room" in every sense whilst this was happening.

My son just said there was a bang and it went red hot and wouldn't switch off.

Following conversations with fellow guests, it seems this exact problem was not a isolated matter. At least 2 other parties had the same problem, so a word of advice; if you have kids in the shower, please be VERY VERY CAREFUL.

The final note on the rooms is that they cannot be cleaned very well. We found a previous guests tie, tucked into the bed. This gave us somewhat of a surprise when we discovered it hanging out of the bed when we woke up!

All in all this hotel could be amazing as it has everything to be a really stunning retreat, but it is let down by poor bedrooms, average food and restrictive kids policy in the leisure centre.

I would have given it 3* but knocked 1 off for the shower incident, in reality I am not sure I should even be giving the hotel 2* as that was seriously dangerous!

Room Tip: I'm told that the farthest rooms away, although they are a long walk are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Spiderdude

Travelers are raving about these Eastwood hotels

Clydebank
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I had a lovely 2night break at Eastwood Hall through easy breaks and would really recommend it! Dinner was included in our stay and it was plentiful and lovely, as was the great breakfast each morning. Eatwood is not far from Nottingham so great for shopping ect. Our room was a delux double and was beautiful, although like others we did have a few problems with our keycard not working. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would return!

Room Tip: My husband and I had a lovely 2 night stay here through easy breaks, and although the first room we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen M
Thank you taking the time to post your most positive review.

I am glad you found your room to be beautiful, we receive many comments on how nice our rooms are and have many returning guests.

The Chef and his team will be thrilled to read you found the food both plentiful and lovely equally at dinner and breakfast.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and would return I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future maybe to do some Christmas shopping in nearby Nottingham

Luton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel has become dated very quickly over the two years since my last visit. The carpets in corridors joined with duct tape, broken windows boarded up and used coffee cups in the conference areas greet you.
The key card to the room didn't work and we had to wait half an hour until housekeeping let us in, two others in our group had the same issue late that evening when retiring to their rooms.
Even after running the hot water for ten minutes it still ran luke warm at best, this is not an isolated issue.
We pre ordered our evening meal in the afternoon for half seven, the starters arrived at half eight, main course started to appear at half nine and the final plates arrived just before ten after most of us had finished eating. Food was average at best and with only one bar man drinks were slow in arrival too.
The one good point was the few serving staff who worked tirelessly between all the guests.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank lilaclomax
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments

The interior could be taken as dated and is not as modern as some guests would like, the public areas and restaurant over the last couple of years have been re-furbished to a high standard with a cyclical refurbishment in place for the rest of the Hotel.

Sometimes key cards do have a tendency to stop working for no apparent reason one main factor is when it has been next to a mobile phone, I understand how annoying this can be, the staff are usually speedy in rectifying this minor problem and get you back in your room in no time !

Hot water is usually plentiful in the hotel we rarely receive comments otherwise, I will certainly check with the maintenance team to ascertain a problem during your stay.

It was pleasing to read your comments the staff worked hard between the guests.

I am sorry the bar and dinner service was slower than you would have liked, this is not our usual standard of service and again apologise, I do hope you visit again when we can show you our usual standard of service we offer,

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for a little getaway as it was our 1 year anniversary. We had booked a double room, which was extremely comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was a decent size with a good powerful shower, something you don't often find with hotels with so many rooms. On our first night we had dinner in the restaurant which was absolutely amazing. The food was such good quality and the flavours were divine. Breakfast was equally as good with a good choice of food, whether you want a cooked breakfast or continental/cereal.
All the staff were extremely helpful, especially on the reception desk. On our first night, there was a wedding going on so the bar was a bit busy but this did not impede on our stay and we actually quite liked it.
Yes some of the rooms are a bit of a distance from the main area of the hotel but there are rooms that are closer so its well worth enquiring when you book. But you do have to remember, the closer you are to the main area, the noiser it will be. We actually didn't mind being so far away, we had a lovely peaceful sleep.
We would definitely return to this hotel as it is such good value for money and we had a really enjoyable stay.

1 Thank iloveholsx
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at Eastwood Hall, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you taking the time to post your most positive review.

Firstly congratulations on your 1st Anniversary, I am glad you found your room to be comfortable, spacious and the bathroom a good size with a powerful shower, we receive many comments on how nice are rooms are and have many returning guests.

The Chef will be excited to read you found the food both good quality and divine both at dinner and breakfast.

We do pride ourselves on the warm helpful welcome we offer from our Reception Team to our Room Attendants, I am glad you experienced it first hand.

I am pleased you would definitely return I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future, It is well worth enquiring for a room of you choice as we always accommodate any request wherever possible.

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

the room we had was large and very comfortable..not only was there a good double bed but a sofa for watching tv when in the room or just relaxing. All the hotel was very clean and staff very helpful and welcoming. there was a good choice of food for breakfast, but we did eat early so cannot say if this continued throughout the breakfast serving. my only comment here would be that i think labelling the lidded containers would save me having to open every one to see what was inside and allowed the food to get cold quicker!

the internet is easy to access if you know what u are doing but the young man on reception is very helpful.

it is a large hotel and i think the only bad point from my point of view was the fact that the pool and gym etc was a good walk from all the bedrooms so decided not to bother when coming home from a day out. otherwise, will recommend this hotel and would use again.

1 Thank sandy1108
Thank you taking the time to post your review

Congratulations to the birthday guest, your comments are most positive it looks like you had an enjoyable and relaxing weekend for a birthday celebration.

We do receive many positive comments about our breakfast offering, as we pride ourselves on the good English breakfast we provide for all our guests. I am sorry the serving dishes were not labelled it is a nuisance lifting every lid, we do normally label everything so cannot understand why labels were not displayed during your visit. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The Reception team are all very helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to the hotel facilities, I will pass on your comments to them as I know they will take great heart from you kind words.

I do hope you visit us again in the not too distant future, please let us know should you have occasion to visit again and we will do our best to allocate you a bedroom nearer to the Leisure Club.

Serignan Plage
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I co hosted a large conference here and was very happy with the venue and staff on the day. The price they wanted was far too high but after a week of negotiations it was brought down. I have not been very happy with the back room staff who have been reluctant to talk to us to negotiate future events and less that usefull at booking the event on the day. I was actually quite suprised it ran so well considering the shambles it was prior to the event. The food was fantastic!

Room Tip: I would phone to double check conference details!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our venue

It was great to read your very positive comments, comfortable rooms, good buffet breakfast, helpful staff, what else could one want to hear from our guests, the staff will be delighted with your comments

We are one of the preferred Conference venues in the area, we do pride ourselves on the efficiency and good service we provide for our conference and leisure guests alike. I do hope we can organise a conference again for you in the not too distant future

Andrew Wright
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastwood
The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel
De Vere Orchard Hotel
De Vere Orchard Hotel
#7 of 54 in Nottingham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,378 reviews

Been to Eastwood Hall? Share your experiences!