Ways to Experience Megijima Island
from $89.50
More Info
from $111.87
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 21, 2017 via mobile

I went here with my friends on an off-season trip, meaning that all the art exhibitions were closed. That did not stop us enjoying this lovely place in the slightest!

We rented bicycles (go electric), and toured around the relatively small island with ease, stopping at the spots and taking pictures of various demon statues and paintings dotted around the island.

The main sightseeing place is the Demon Cave. This has been made very easy to access, unlike some other caves in japan you walk this one leisurely. There’s hundreds, if not thousands of hand made demon faces all over the cave, great stuff!

After the cave you can go to the view point and soak up the view of all the surrounding islands, absolutely beautiful!

If you’re planning on heading to Ogijima from Negijima, I highly recommend eating before you leave! Places to eat in Ogijima are very very few.

Oh yeah, and watch out for snakes!!

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed November 15, 2016

We were there for the Setouchi Triannale and I found the island is very charming, it is very nice for a half day excursion, combined with Ogijima for example.

2  Thank tizibcn
Reviewed November 4, 2016

I came to this island for the Setouchi Triennale 2016. I chose to include this island in my tour because of the Momotaro folktale, which as a kid, I have heard for a lot of times. The island itself is small, and is mostly walkable. We walked up to the Orges' cave, which was quite a scenic hike, but if we had to do it again, we would take the bus. We also saw a few artworks on the island that lead us to the different parts of the island. I liked the artwork and I enjoyed my day on the island. I would recommend this island as a half day activity, with or without the art festival.

1  Thank VeraChiu21
Reviewed November 1, 2016

We visited as part of the Setouchi Triennial Festival. However, I have no idea if the exhibits are still maintained after the festival is over. The island itself is quaint and not heavily developed. The exhibits ranged from amazing (the mirrors) to the cheesy (the theater). But it was fun and the folks were beyond friendly. An easy ferry ride from Takamatsu Port.

Reviewed October 9, 2016

This is the third island of Seto inland sea we visited on this trip.

Since it is very close to Takamatsu, only about 25 mins by ferry, although it was not on our plan to visit. Upon we arrived and found out the bus service was not operated, we guess because of small number of tourist, the staff who managed the information counter try to convince us to charter the bus but we felt the cost not worth it, most important, the weather getting worse, later on we met a couple from Australia have the same feeling and decided to take the next ferry back to Takamatsu. With this change we eventually only spent about 30 mins walk around the area nearby the pier.

Later we discovered that most of the exhibiting place were not open due to it was not the Art festival period.

Date of experience: September 2016