“Very poor - did not live up to reputation, customer service lacking”
Review of The Tollgate Inn

The Tollgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Holt B&B and Inns
Pershore, United Kingdom
“Very poor - did not live up to reputation, customer service lacking”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I visited for a Mothers Day luncheon, which had been booked by my Grandmother. I visited with my partner, Mother and Grandmother. This was my first visit. My Grandmother had booked on local recommendations and a previous visit a couple of years ago. The exterior is very pretty and looked promising as did the Mothers Day set menu. On arrival we were shown to our table in the upstairs part of the restaurant, our drinks order was promptly brought. We ordered with two of us having starters. Mine was advertised as a goats cheese and potato cake with poached egg and hollondaise sauce. The 'cake' was more like mash, with a hard boiled egg and too much hollondaise completely covering the lot, it was however edible. For the main coarse three of us had the roast beef and the other the lamb. We were asked how we would like our beef cooked on ordering. On arrival our meals all had burnt roast potatoes, when the waitress asked if she could get us anything else I asked if we could have some more roast potatoes that were not burnt. They were bought to the table but on trying them my mother found them to be stone cold. The three of us that had the beef all had a range of meat that varied from rare to well done, was extremely fatty and quite tough. All of us left at least half of it. The potatoes were mostly uneaten. We were also only given one portion of vegetable between four of us. The check back was only done after three of us had finished eating, with my Grandmother still struggling to cut through her meat. When we were asked if all was ok, I told the waitress I would come and speak to her shortly. I did not want to upset my Grandmother, and did not feel it was appropriate to voice my complaints in a crowded restaurant environment. On going to speak to the waitress, I found myself speaking to a lady I will assume was the proprietor. I explained that I was very disappointed with the quality of our main courses and listed the specifics. In return she told me that it was rib of beef and therefore is always fatty. While I accept this I also know that when cooked correctly the fat should melt into the meat adding to the flavour, which certainly was not the case. I was also asked if I had said anything during the meal, at which point I said we had had a check back too late for that. I was then asked in a very passive aggressive manner what would I like to be done. As somebody who has worked in hospitality I know that an apology goes a long way, and that the customer does not want the embarrassment of having to ask for meals to be taken off the bill. When I was not forthcoming I was told that something would be sorted out. I returned to our table for dessert. We finished the meal and went downstairs to settle the bill. We were left stood waiting for some minutes until one of the waitresses came over to give us the bill. At this point the proprietor was sat at the bar talking to a customer with her back to us. On checking the bill it was not apparent that anything had been taken off, on asking another waitress she said my main had been removed and we had been charged for the starter. I was far from impressed by this, but did not want to cause any more upset to my family, especially my Grandmother who felt responsible for having made the booking. We paid and left. I can quite safely say the only good things about this restaurant is the cider and the fresh bread served at the beginning of the meal. The customer service I felt was lacking and the proprietor comes across as quite unprofessional and sets a poor example to her staff. Customer relations would have been improved if she had actually bothered communicating what she was willing to offer and by at least dealing with us personally when we settled the bill. We will certainly not be visiting again. The defensive manner and poor communication skills of the proprietor were not what I would expect to find in a local establishment. The cost of the set menu per head was £19.95 for two courses, which included a primrose in a bag for each of the ladies. Quite frankly a rip off and the mark up on the food must be quite substantial for the quality of what was served.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Ems1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Weymouth
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I am previous reviewers mum and as Jane said we stayed at Tollgate for weekend to celebrate our 45th weddind anniversary. As soon as we arrived the staff were very welcoming and friendly. When we were shown our room (Samantha) we were very impressed it was lovely. Very comfy settee to relax on and furnished and decorated very tastefully. As Jane said there was bottle of bubbly waiting for us in ice bucket and flowers our daughters had ordered arranged in vase. That evening we had evening meal with friends and were made to feel very special with complimentary starters and glass of bubbly each! The food at Tollgate is really good we have eaten here before as we used to live in area. We actually celebrated our 40th here with friends and family so knew we were going to enjoy! But staying for two nights was a real treat! Thankyou Allison and staff.

Preston, LANCS, UK
Reviewed February 28, 2010

My parents have just spent two nights at The Tollgate celebrating 45th wedding anniversary. I didn't stay myself but have eaten here before and was very impressed with the food. I emailed the pub to see if they could help make the stay more special. Alison was very helpful recommending a bottle of fizz to be waiting chilled in their room and also recommending local florist. My mum and dad reported room (samantha) was lovely and seemed to have been decorated since website photos taken, so the room had a more modern look. Evening meal with two of their friends was very successful, everyone happy with the food and touched by complimentary drinks at start of meal. My mum was particularly pleased with her pudding which was described as enormous. Dad was very happy with the full english breakfast. If you are an animal lover the friendly resident cat is an added bonus! Am now trying to find excuse to visit myself. Well done The Tollgate, this is perfect spot for proper beer for the men, good restaurant food for all and retail therapy for the girls in nearby Bath.

• Stayed February 2010
Avon
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Having returned from a lovely Valentines break at the Tollgate Inn it is a pleasure to write this review complimenting the owners and staff for their service and attentiveness towards my wife and myself. The food was excellant and the whole evening couldn't be faulted. We were staying the night as well and our room was first rate along with the complimentary red rose plant! A leisurely breakfast on the Sunday morning completed the experience

1 Thank Padds
Worcestershire
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Having visited this restaurant for the first time last weekend I thought it appropriate to share my findings. My husband and I went for a special occasion and were blown away by the quality, attention to detail and unbelievable service. The food was unparalleled in this part of the Country. Well done and thank you to all of the staff. I know we will definitely be back and bringing friends with us. Many thanks for making our special occasion even more special!! :-)

bath
Reviewed February 11, 2010

A group of colleagues and friends of mine had our annual christmas party at the Tollgate last year and the staff gave us such a welcome! Perfect from start to finish. We indulged in drinks by the fire and then went on to the upstairs dining room. A party of 12 of us. We had the Christmas set menu and none of us could fault the food in the slightest! We had a glass of pink fizzy brought to each of us and within minutes, our starters were served. I had the smoked salmon and crayfish starter... not at all what I expected but it was such a fresh tasting dish which the chef had obviously put time and effort into creating. I then went for the traditional turkey! It just has to be done! And then to indulge in a cinnamon pannacotta.... absolutely amazing! It melted in the mouth and the fruits that went with it were to die for!
It was an all in all fantastic evening and we all look forward to returning again in december for another great evening with great ambience and super service!
Thank-You! and keep up the good work!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Wiltshire
Reviewed February 11, 2010

On many occasions my family and friends have frequented the multiaward winning public house The Tollgate in the small hamlet of Holt.The food, locally sourced is superb with an extensive wine selection which many pubs would envy. The staff have always been attentive polite and no request is too much trouble. All in all a quality establishment with friendly atmosphere - so rare to be found these days, we shall visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holt
The Moonraker
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Swan Hotel
Swan Hotel
#5 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to The Tollgate Inn? Share your experiences!