“Really lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Holt B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire
“Really lovely stay”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We spent a night at The Tollgate during a week away when we were visiting the local area. It was a great find; just the right amount of friendly, great, efficient service and welcoming staff. The food was good (particularly the Hock Ham Scotch egg and other starters we shared) and the room - though small, was clean, comfortable and cute. Breakfast was also excellent.
We would definitely go back anytime (just a shame it's not our local!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've been meaning to write a review for the Tollgate for months now after a memorable visit earlier this year. The Tollgate has recently undergone some changes - for the better in my opinion. The menu was on point with fresh, local ingredients, the drinks reasonably priced and the service was EXCELLENT! The laid back attitude of the owners made you feel really at home, unlike some pubs where 'non-locals' are not made feel welcome. I was planning another visit when I was down for Badminton horse trials but sadly had to cancel this last minute. I look forward to a visit again soon! I really recommend this place!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ashley182
UK
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great food, sensible prices and very friendly service.

We happened on this pub by chance on the way to a NT property nearby but were delighted with it in every respect and we will be back. The food and service was unbeatable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oliveruk
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After reading the reviews we decided to give it ago, we'll I'm so glad we did, extremely well looked after place, friendly staff and very attentive,
Food was wonderful and even the children ate there fish pie,
We where so surprised we decided to book in and stay over for the night, easy and present clean tidy rooms to a extremely high standard.
We had a lovely walk around and had tea there too, staff remembered our faces and drinks! Thought this was a nice touch,
Lots of locals on the evening but still friendly and not "clicky" at all.
A very nice surprise was evening entertainment very well chosen band not my sort of music but got your feet tapping.
I would like to the barmaid and the owners on a wonder full experience!
We will be back x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mrswyatt
managertollgate, Owner at The Tollgate Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your really great comments, it was lovely to have you. We hope to see you all again soon. Many thanks, Laura & Mark
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have eaten here many times over the last 10 years and have always been delighted with the quality service, excellent food and great atmosphere; how things have changed! We visited with friends (who have accompanied us previously) to find the menu had been completely "revamped", replacing a previously excellent selection of high-end restaurant dishes with a very restricted range of low grade pub grub. The usually excellent wine list had been replaced by a very unbalanced, over priced range of offerings, which were simply not worthy of their price tag. The food took too long to arrive and was, as anticipated, quite poor in all respects. The disappointing night was compounded when I went to pay at the bar, where a wedged open kitchen door presented a view of a kitchen that needed a good clean up. There has been a very clear shift in emphasis here and in my view, in completely the wrong direction. We won't be going back any time soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Food4Thought354
managertollgate, Owner at The Tollgate Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Sorry to read you did not enjoy the change in emphasis at The Tollgate. We are new owners and we want to make it our own, having changed the offering we do understand that not everybody will like the change but we really do believe in what we are trying to do. We are very proud of our wine list, we source our wines from local suppliers and everyone is available by the glass. Unfortunately after a busy service the kitchen might not be as clean as before the service started.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I last visited the Tollgate some five years ago and it was good then. I have recently visited again twice once because it had been booked and was for business, the second time because i enjoyed the first time so much I wanted to go back! The starter of Pigeon Breast is the best I have had accompanied by a delicious black pudding and onion puree. The main of Fillet Steak and beetroot salad with twice cooked chips is divine, well on par with Michelin starred restaurants I have eaten in. The deserts! Where do I start? I am not a fan of deserts, I always have the cheese board! But not here I have to have the deserts they are so good. Seasonal fruit crumble with shortbread topping and spiced custard (I have tried this at home) and Coffee Creme Brule with Espresso Ice cream and shortbread finishes this all perfectly with a unique apple and pear cider called Toodle Pip! not to be missed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt9711
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visited on a Saturday lunchtime as a late "Mother's Day" meal. It was not particularly busy and our table was indicated to us by a waitress. Having been given menus and our drinks order taken we chose a variety from the "specials" and main menu. Our waitress then came back 5 minutes later to say that we had been given the wrong "specials" list and had to re-order. Whilst I will accept that food cooked to order will take a little longer than something heated in a microwave, it should not take over 3/4 hour to serve ham/egg/chips, fish pie and fish and chips! Even after asking the waitress how much longer it was "oh, not long". The food was fairly average, chips were soggy and too much dill in the fish pie. The waitresses seemed very keen to clear our table even though my son hadn't finished eating. We couldn't be bothered to wait around to have dessert. Another couple in the restaurant also complained about the wait and quality of food whilst we were there. It may have been an "off" day but I'm sorry I won't be returning to find out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ClaireTAOS
managertollgate, Manager at The Tollgate Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear guest,
Naturally it is disappointing to read that on this occasion you did not completely enjoy your stay with us here @ Tollgate. Your constructive comments in relation to these aspects are invaluable to us as we strive to deliver the best possible experience to all of our guests. Although it might not have seemed very busy in our pub/bar area, we did have a rather large lunch party in that day in our restaurant. This is however no excuse as to why the food took its time and we should have made you aware of this.
Please accept our apologies and we hope that you and your family might give us another try in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holt
The Moonraker
#3 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Woolley Grange
Woolley Grange
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to The Tollgate Inn? Share your experiences!