“Great family feel”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Mirissa
Gold coast
“Great family feel”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We found shehan on trip advisor and definitely recommend . Amazing home cooked food which is top priced. Great location close to beach and always ready to help with anything at all. Extended our stay as it was too good to leave, will be back next year without a doubt!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I had a great stay at the Shehan Guesthouse! Making a reservation by email was no problem. I took the train down from Kandy, and the Tuk Tuk I got knew exactly where to drop me. Even though its not on the beach it's right across the street. A much closer walk than I anticipated. The family is super friendly and the food was the best I had in Sri Lanka! The cost of breakfast is not included but dinner is super affordable and not to be missed!!! Pineapple curry was my favorite.. so was the fish! My room was simple, but clean. There was a bit of a strong smell always in my bathroom, and some construction going on while we were there. But it was a chill place to spend 9 days!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Mirissa, Sri Lanka
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Most lovely family!! They are very helpful and sweet and obviously enjoying their business. The rooms are clean, and the guesthouse is nice and close to the beach. The food is outstandingly good. There is a lot of good food in this country, but this has been the best so far.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Matara, Sri Lanka
Reviewed November 5, 2013

When we booked this guest house we had high expectations from reading the reviews on Trip Advisor but I have to say we were disappointed. We visited at a time when the airconditioned rooms were out of action and there was a lot of building work going on. The room we had was basic to say the least and did not appear partcularly clean,. Add to that the fact that it rained quite a lot the two days we were there and it could have been a recipe for disaster. However the family that own the Shehan are delighful . Mama is friendly and does cook great rice and curry (there are a lot of flies in the restauarnt area though) and they serve cold beer which is always a good thing. We took the cooking course which was really good and we chatted to the daughter , the son and the husband . they were apologietic about the building work and I guess we just hit it at the wrong time . If you want anything other than basic then I would not suggest you stay here .

Room Tip: Maybe the air con rooms are better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Comming here you'll find a marvellous familly, allways smilly.
Cook is excelent, and rooms are find, fews steps from the beatch and fare enougth from the road to not be disturb by the traffic... definitly recommand this place if you come around !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank victor s
Mansfield, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I came to Mirissa for 2 nights and stayed for 9.......... After stumbling across this place by chance I immediately had a connection with the family who took me under their wing. I played endless hours of cricket with Shehan, listened to Gemba's really really really (not) funny jokes and corrupted Piyumal into drinking beers with me.

Mamma taught me how to cook and fed me till i couldn't eat every day. I usually like eating in varieties of places when i travel but mammas cooking was seriously good - so i ate through the menu.

Awesome helpful family, comfortable room, helpful service and fairly priced. Although not right on the beach, literally a 2 minute walk. get involved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank andrewnunn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We loved this place and this family, they are the true spirit of Sri Lanka and go out of their way to be hospitable and friendly. We had a great time here meeting other travellers and talking to the family. The food was amazing and we couldn't tear ourselves away from mama's cooking...we also did the cooking course and have tried to recreate mama's dishes back here in London!! I would definitely recommend a stay here if you're in Mirissa. Would love to go back one day....

Room Tip: Try one of mama's curries and you will be hooked!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple